Tailgate sag with 37” spare

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am looking for any help or advice around tailgate sag after installing a roughly 125 spare (37x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18x9 Fuel Ammo Wheels). I have the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit installed along with the Teraflex Alpha HD Spare Tire Mount. Outside of the sagging issue, everything else is good. There are no rattles and the tire is soild (no bouncing or movement).

With the tailgate closed, everything lines up fine. However, when I open the tailgate, I get a bit of a drop. When I close the tailgate, I can feel it hit the latching mechanism, rise a bit, and then close. Pictures are below.

In reading other posts, I see some mention of preloading the tailgate to remove the sag. How is that done?

Outside of getting a new hinge gate reinforcement kit that fully replaces the hinges, any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tailgate Closed:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate sag with 37” spare Tailgate Closed

Tailgate Open:

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate sag with 37” spare Tailgate Open
Sponsored

Last edited:

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I am looking for any help or advice around tailgate sag after installing a roughly 125 spare (37x12.5r18 Nitto Ridge Grapplers on 18x9 Fuel Ammo Wheels). I have the Mopar tailgate reinforcement kit installed along with the Teraflex Alpha HD Spare Tire Mount. Outside of the sagging issue, everything else is good. There are no rattles and the tire is soild (no bouncing or movement).

With the tailgate closed, everything lines up fine. However, when I open the tailgate, I get a bit of a drop. When I close the tailgate, I can feel it hit the latching mechanism, rise a bit, and then close. Pictures are below.

In reading other posts, I see some mention of preloading the tailgate to remove the sag. How is that done?

Outside of getting a new hinge gate reinforcement kits that fully replaces the hinges, any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Tailgate Closed:

Tailgate Closed.jpg

Tailgate Open:

Tailgate Open.jpg
As long as you have factory hinges your gonna fight that. The only way to get rid of it is do a hinge replacement carrier or bumper mounted carrier.

EbyCreek

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 392
Occupation
ARMY (Retired)
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate sag with 37” spare 1618775490571

Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Maximus 3 Tire Carrier

this is one of the less intrusive designs that doesn’t involve a new bumper. DV8 does one too, but it is a bit more substantial. The tub reinforcement should fight that sag.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I have a 114 lb spare tire. I installed the Rugged Ridge replacement hinges and coupled it with the TeraFlex Alpha HD tire carrier. I used the shims to get everything lined up and I still get the sag. I don’t worry about it though. I make sure to not slam the tailgate - always have my hand on the tailgate handle as Inclose until it fully latches.

wildallways

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon 392 2021 Ford Explorer ST
I saw a video where they installed a large tire on the spare tire mount and they adjusted the tailgate a little higher then from the factory and when they mounted the tire the weight dropped it down in prefect alignment. So you can adjust the tailgate so it lines up perfectly. Now if I can just remember where that video was...

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My spare is about 90lbs on a Rugged Ridge carrier and hinge replacement setup. After adjusting the tailgate with the tire mounted I think a 3 year old could open and close it with one hand.

Sponsored

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer πŸ˜‚
OP
OP

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I saw a video where they installed a large tire on the spare tire mount and they adjusted the tailgate a little higher then from the factory and when they mounted the tire the weight dropped it down in prefect alignment. So you can adjust the tailgate so it lines up perfectly. Now if I can just remember where that video was...
Let us know if you find the video. I have heard about this but have not seen how to actually do the adjustment.

BCalvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys JLU, 1996 Porsche 993, 2007 Hummer H3
It needs to be adjusted, even by just removing the stock spare it goes high.
Measure how far up it needs to go and add that on top of how far it came up with no spare.

Do this without the help of the latch, it should close smoothly without the need of the plastic guide bushings on the body side of the latch.

I was able to get it to line up perfectly with adjustment of the 4 hinge bolts on the tailgate side.
It lines up better than factory now.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate sag with 37” spare DSCF2421.JPG

This was before seeing it had to go to the right about 3mm and up one.
Keep working it till it's perfect. The kit came with cardboard shims too.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate sag with 37” spare latch.JPG

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
OP
OP

FasEddy

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
It needs to be adjusted, even by just removing the stock spare it goes high.
Measure how far up it needs to go and add that on top of how far it came up with no spare.

Do this without the help of the latch, it should close smoothly without the need of the plastic guide bushings on the body side of the latch.

I was able to get it to line up perfectly with adjustment of the 4 hinge bolts on the tailgate side.
It lines up better than factory now.

This was before seeing it had to go to the right about 3mm and up one.
Keep working it till it's perfect. The kit came with cardboard shims too.
This is very helpful. It seems like the main adjustment can be done by loosening the 4 tailgate side hinge bolts and raising the gate height by an appropriate amount (without the help of the body side latch), which should result in the gate being the correct height once the bolts are tightened and the weight of the spare is added back.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Thank you!
Sponsored