Sponsored

Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds?

Thx1158

First Name
RWW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2020 Land Rover Discovery
Occupation
Retired USMC
I know this has been discussed a lot and the max tailgate weight is 85lbs. Just seeing if anyone has ran a 90lb wheel and tire setup on the tailgate without reinforcement. If so was there any issues?

The setup in question:
285/75r17 BFG K02 - 60lbs

Icon Rebound 17x8.5 - 30lbs
I did a bunch of research and screwed up by purchasing a rugged ridge reinforcement set up….two months and rusting. I’m moving to this:

https://genright.com/products/jeep-jl-swing-out-rear-tire-carrier-aluminum.html

local shop will powerboat to match my ROCKHARD bumpers. I feel this will give me a lot more flexibility in storing items, third brake light issues and ease of use. I wish I would have just done it right the first time and not spent cash on that rugged ridge crap….
Sponsored

sgtmajor138

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S Freedom package
It’s about 100 pounds probably. The wheel, as you know, is quoted by icon dynamics as being about 30 pounds. The tire I’m running, 315/70r17 in load C, is quoted by bfg as being ~65 pounds. So it’s about 95 pounds total. I got the jeep September 2020 and ran it stock til July 2021. I got the wheels and tires July 2021 and have been running this setup ever since.

Even though I know it’s not good in the long run, especially from long term fatigue, I haven’t noticed any major issues with the spare’s weight yet. The one big change I noticed is the fact that opening and closing the tailgate feels a lot heavier now and when I open the tailgate, I can feel it drop by a tiny amount. It’s not enough to cause issues when opening/closing but I can feel that it drops a little, perhaps by ~1/8”, because of the higher weight.
But I believe that may be more down to calibration than anything else, as all aftermarket tailgate hinges tell you to calibrate the sag of the tailgate depending on the weight of your spare, so I’m sure if I loosened the bolts and twisted the tailgate clockwise by a very tiny amount, it would go back to being level. But I haven’t touched it because, as I mentioned earlier, it’s not large enough to cause any issues when opening/closing the tailgate and I plan on upgrading in the near future especially because my next set of tires are going to be the new 37” ko2s in load range C. They are quoted as only being 1-2lbs heavier than my current set of 35s but still haha

Make absolutely sure you lengthen your bump stops. These wheels stick out more than the stocks so the factory bump stops are going to be way too short and you absolutely want support on the bottom.
84B45BCA-26B4-4C8B-9C32-5B32DC72497D.jpeg
I too am having a similar experience in going from the stock Freedom Sport S wheels and tires to a set of Rubicon KO2 take-offs. Nothing major, just something is a little different and the tailgate is closing just a tad off.
You mentioned "adjusting" the hinges. Are you talking about loosening the screws holding the tailgate to the hinges? If I loosen them, would I need to take one out at a time and put blue loc-tite on them?
I may have to take the spare off of the carrier and weight it, just out of curiosity. :)

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
While you can get by without...over time it will fatigue the hinges / tailgate and could lead to some alignment problems down the road.

We have had folks upgrade to our carrier for a 285/75 just for the peace of mind and for the fact that when they go larger down the road they already have the necessary components to do it right.
Fully agree. I tried to make the Mopar reinforcement kit work, but the hinges do not reach out far enough on the door and even with the Mopar kit, the tailgate is still load bearing.

Very happy with my CavFab!

-3201006270005731347.jpg

9042410651853367759.jpg

CavFab_mfg

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
CavFab
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlur
Occupation
Aftermarket Jeep Product Manufacturer

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3 money pits: Turbo Busa, Road King, 22JLUR snazz
Occupation
Powerplant operator
Also how much off road ing can make a big difference. Out here in the desert it’s all rock and the fire roads out here will rattle your fillings loose. Makes a big difference having a 100 lb plus weight hanging off the end while bouncing down the trail.

If you stay on paved roads you can get away with more.

Sponsored

OP
OP
john_cal

john_cal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Also how much off road ing can make a big difference. Out here in the desert it’s all rock and the fire roads out here will rattle your fillings loose. Makes a big difference having a 100 lb plus weight hanging off the end while bouncing down the trail.

If you stay on paved roads you can get away with more.
It will definitely be mostly on road, with light off roading occasional.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I'm running 106lbs on mine. It's solid with added bumpstops. I will be getting a CavFab one soon though. Just waiting on next sale. I am not comfortable offroading with it back there on tailgate even though it's solid as a rock right now.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Well Im glad I read this.....

Im at 96lbs. 35x12.5x17 at 66lbs and wheel at 30lbs. Had them on since April 21. No sag yet.

I thought I was good until I moved up to a 37" or so but I guess not...

More shit to buy.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Not to open a can of worms here...but there is a reason a lot of the top dogs in the carrier world chose against a bumper mounted solution. That single pivot point on the bumper tends to become a weak spot and we have seen (and have photo evidence) of these failing (which tends to take out the tailgate with it). A properly designed tub mounted carrier is typically superior in every aspect.
Total noob to carriers so forgive my ignorance...here to learn.

Are you saying that the bumper itself can become weak and fails where the the carrier is mounted?

I haven't even looked at the OEM hinges, but doesn't the aftermarket carriers just mount to the OEM hinges?

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
My 285/75 actually rests on my plastic bumper (i.e., interference fit đź‘Ť), so some of the stress is reduced with the tailgate closed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds? 2B0A05A8-1975-44BE-909D-6669E222FEF0

Sponsored

OP
OP
john_cal

john_cal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys
My 285/75 actually rests on my plastic bumper (i.e., interference fit đź‘Ť), so some of the stress is reduced with the tailgate closed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Reinforcement needed @ 90 pounds? 2B0A05A8-1975-44BE-909D-6669E222FEF0
Indirectly that’s a good thing for me then - only need a couple pounds of stress taken off anyway.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Total noob to carriers so forgive my ignorance...here to learn.

Are you saying that the bumper itself can become weak and fails where the the carrier is mounted?

I haven't even looked at the OEM hinges, but doesn't the aftermarket carriers just mount to the OEM hinges?
Most completely replace the hinges.

The swing out ones that mount to the bumper can and have failed as well. In saying that, some companies make some seriously solid carrier/bumper combos. Hauk and Genright come to mind.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
I did a bunch of research and screwed up by purchasing a rugged ridge reinforcement set up….two months and rusting. I’m moving to this:

https://genright.com/products/jeep-jl-swing-out-rear-tire-carrier-aluminum.html

local shop will powerboat to match my ROCKHARD bumpers. I feel this will give me a lot more flexibility in storing items, third brake light issues and ease of use. I wish I would have just done it right the first time and not spent cash on that rugged ridge crap….
I have the Rugged Ridge Spartacus hinge replacement/tailgate reinforcement going on nearly two years now. I don’t see any rust. It’s made of an aluminum casting. What product were you referring to? Was it the pins or other hardware that is rusting?
Sponsored