Sponsored

Tailgate hinge weight limit on Sahara

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Does anyone know the tailgate weight limit for a 2020 JLUS? I'm putting KO2's on (285/70R17) tomorrow, and while I'm sure the weight will be just fine for the spare I can't find anywhere that specifies a specific limit before reinforcement is required.
Sponsored

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It's the same fire all JLs.

From the manual
NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 85 lbs (38.5 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
It's the same fire all JLs.

From the manual
NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight of 85 lbs (38.5 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.
Omg, what page? I just spent another ten minutes looking and I can’t find it. LOL

The tire I THINK weighs 52 lbs. I’m not sure about the wheel, but it’s a 17” aluminum wheel, so it should be around 70 at most... right?? I was quite surprised when I read the stock tires only weigh 39lbs.

Bryce

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Omg, what page? I just spent another ten minutes looking and I can’t find it. LOL

The tire I THINK weighs 52 lbs. I’m not sure about the wheel, but it’s a 17” aluminum wheel, so it should be around 70 at most... right?? I was quite surprised when I read the stock tires only weigh 39lbs.
Page 435 of the big Owners Manual. Not the one that comes with the Jeep, but the one you download or request from Jeep.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I actually weighed my stock Sahara wheels, and then my replacements.
Stock wheel & tire: 62lbs
Pro Comp (steel) wheels and KO2: 87lbs

No problem with the tailgate, but I have yet to wheel (maybe one day!). However, the extra 25lb per corner was noticeable for a while, I don’t even think about it now :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
NOT the one that comes with the Jeep? Well no wonder I couldn't find it. Thanks, Bryce!

No problem with the tailgate, but I have yet to wheel (maybe one day!). However, the extra 25lb per corner was noticeable for a while, I don’t even think about it now :)
What size are your KO2's? Out of curiosity. I'll have to weigh mine, I guess. (Thanks!)

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What size are your KO2's? Out of curiosity. I'll have to weigh mine, I guess. (Thanks!)
Mine are 285/70R17, and 85 lbs is a pita to get onto the spare bracket, not sure how the guys with 35s or 37s manage, it must be a fight!

OP
OP
TrailJoy

TrailJoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Mine are 285/70R17, and 85 lbs is a pita to get onto the spare bracket, not sure how the guys with 35s or 37s manage, it must be a fight!
Thanks so much! As mentioned my wheels are aluminum, so it won't be quite that heavy. But still... I hear you. LOL

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

Which Sahara wheel and was it the AT tire?

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Thanks. I wonder if those and the upgrade wheels are the same weight. Surely within a couple of pounds. I looked up the Dueler AT’s and Tirerack says they are 39 lbs. If my wheels are the same or a couple of pounds heavier, my 275/70/18 E load tires will come in just under the tailgate capacity.
Sponsored