Sponsored

Tailgate Hinge on JL has become loose with a gap. Anyway to tighten?

amiii

First Name
Amir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL Rubicon
I have an aftermarket tire carrier and rear bumper on my JL Rubicon. I have a 35" spare tire. I recently noticed that my tailgate hinge has become loose and now there is gap between the hinge and the Jeep's body. Do I need to buy reinforcement hinges or can I live with this? Just want to know if this is a safety issue or if I should be fine driving like this for now before I can save up enough to get a reinforcement. I read online that the hinges can be tightened. Anyone have any video or tutorial on how to access the hinge bolts?

IMAGE 2021-06-18 15:22:09.jpg

IMAGE 2021-06-18 15:22:06.jpg

IMAGE 2021-06-18 15:22:04.jpg

IMAGE 2021-06-18 15:22:07.jpg
Sponsored

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
Feel like mine look that way. Your carrier should not be putting that much weight on the tailgate

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I have an aftermarket tire carrier and rear bumper on my JL Rubicon. I have a 35" spare tire. I recently noticed that my tailgate hinge has become loose and now there is gap between the hinge and the Jeep's body. Do I need to buy reinforcement hinges or can I live with this? Just want to know if this is a safety issue or if I should be fine driving like this for now before I can save up enough to get a reinforcement. I read online that the hinges can be tightened. Anyone have any video or tutorial on how to access the hinge bolts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Hinge on JL has become loose with a gap. Anyway to tighten? IMAGE 2021-06-18 15:22:07

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Hinge on JL has become loose with a gap. Anyway to tighten? IMAGE 2021-06-18 15:22:07

With a bumper mounted tire carrier, there's no need for a hinged tailgate reinforcement. But that should be reoriented and tightened asap, before the hinge bolts wallow out the holes in the body.

1st thing is removing the floor panel in the cargo area. There are 6 bolts, each hiding under the plastic covers next to the 6 tie down points. Next is to carefully remove the passenger side interior panel, so as to not damage or lose any of the pop clips that attach it. Once that's out of the way, you'll see 2 square body color painted plastic stickers, that once removed, will allow access to the body side hinge bolts. Realign the gate and tighten down all hardware on both hinges. Removing one at a time to apply blue loctite wouldn't be a bad idea for some added peace of mind.

jasonlauren

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2019 Acura RDX Technology Package, 2008 Scion xB Release Series

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but OP did you ever get this tightened? What did the hinge bolts look like on the inside? We’re they loosened?

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but OP did you ever get this tightened? What did the hinge bolts look like on the inside? We’re they loosened?
Don't apologize. It's always nice when a problem thread can be rounded out with a fix, but this looks to be made by someone just looking for help with a diy fix. Once they get their answer, they're gone until something else pops up.

From looking at the original pics, I'd say it's safe to conclude that the factory hinge to body bolts loosened and allowed the gate to pull outward. My quick tutorial on accessing those hinge bolts must've done the trick for him, because this thread dropped dead and he fell inactive right afterwards.

Sponsored

KNN

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport Diesel
Don't apologize. It's always nice when a problem thread can be rounded out with a fix, but this looks to be made by someone just looking for help with a diy fix. Once they get their answer, they're gone until something else pops up.

From looking at the original pics, I'd say it's safe to conclude that the factory hinge to body bolts loosened and allowed the gate to pull outward. My quick tutorial on accessing those hinge bolts must've done the trick for him, because this thread dropped dead and he fell inactive right afterwards.
Came across so many of these while chasing down my suspension issues. Everyone wants answers but not everyone cares enough to share w/ the group. 🤷🏽‍♂️

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Came across so many of these while chasing down my suspension issues. Everyone wants answers but not everyone cares enough to share w/ the group. 🤷🏽‍♂️
Just the nature of the beast. 2 main types of people join forums, enthusiasts and those looking to save themselves a trip to the dealer and it's associated costs. Fortunately, there's plenty of the former around here who look out for each other.

Cheers, buddy!

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Hm. I have been trying to stop my tailgate from rattling and running out of ideas. But noticed this & wondered if anyone else can see this photo & say "Mine looks just like this" or "Whoa that looks wrong" -- does the gap between hinge & body look too big to you? I can't remember if it's always looked like this.

Everything is rock solid, no play anywhere.

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Hinge on JL has become loose with a gap. Anyway to tighten? photo_2022-05-26_15-42-58

Jeep Wrangler JL Tailgate Hinge on JL has become loose with a gap. Anyway to tighten? photo_2022-05-26_15-48-10

Last edited:

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door
Mine looks the same way. Always has and I dont even run with a gate mounted spare. Its on the inside on my Fabtec rack.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Ok. Thanks Mudduck that helps to know. No idea what the rattling could be then, very mysterious

Sponsored

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
There was a post on here about the striker plate, that is where your noise or rattle could be coming from. Some have bought what looks to be a solid striker plate made out of aluminum and it supposedly keeps the tailgate from squeaking, rattling etc... I'll try and find the post.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

Haha yeah, I was really let down, I thought that was going to solve it for sure. Everyone seems to like it which makes me think my tailgate is super out of alignment or something, but all the gaps around look uniform, nothing moves when I press hard, etc. Can't figure it out

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Haha yeah, I was really let down, I thought that was going to solve it for sure. Everyone seems to like it which makes me think my tailgate is super out of alignment or something, but all the gaps around look uniform, nothing moves when I press hard, etc. Can't figure it out
It looks in those pics like the top of the gate doesn't sit flush with the body but the bottom does. Is that the case or just the way it looks? If you open the gate all the way out 90°, can you lift the Gaye at the handle side and get any movement?

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

It looks in those pics like the top of the gate doesn't sit flush with the body but the bottom does. Is that the case or just the way it looks? If you open the gate all the way out 90°, can you lift the Gaye at the handle side and get any movement?
I see what you mean, no it’s just how it looked in the pic it’s all pretty flush and even. No, no movement at 90° out, lifting it just lifts the jeep
Sponsored

Last edited: