Sponsored

Tailgate hinge mount hi-lift jack holder

Jcmoney1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I have a similar situation (created a post about it, but can’t seem to delete it now that I’ve found this). I have a stock spare tire and a 48” Hi-Lift jack mount on the tailgate hinge. I started seeing the debate of whether a reinforcement was needed or if the tailgate was strong enough for a spare and some accessories.

The owners manual mentions a note under the “changing a spare section” about the tire carrier having a weight limit of 85lbs. Many people have interpreted this as meaning the entire tailgate has a limit of 85lbs. Since there is some debate on the issue, I reach out to Mopar this morning via their online chat. Their rep told me they don’t have any documentation that declares the tailgate weight limit. Which to me indicates that the 85lbs weight limit mentioned in the manual only applies to the tire carrier and not the entire tailgate.

With all that said, the rep then told me that their floor department does not recommend attaching anything other than a spare tire to the tailgate. I questioned them on that, as Mopar themselves sell add-ons to the tailgate(a table for example). The rep told me they weren’t aware of any table or mounts that could be mounted to the tailgate.

so take that information as you will, the reps information seemed solid until they told me they weren’t aware of any accessories that could be added to the tailgate. At the very least It sounds to me like the 85lbs limit for the carrier, not the tailgate.
Sponsored

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
It doesn't attach to the tailgate, it attaches to the hinges.

Jcmoney1010

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
It doesn't attach to the tailgate, it attaches to the hinges.
Looks like you’re probably right on this. Even the tailgate reinforcements don’t do anything to alleviate the pressure on the hinge (at least not the one I looked at). If the weight limit was due to a limit at the hinge, then these tailgate reinforcements would’t do anything to fix the problem. With the jack mounting to the hinge, I’d say it’s basically inconsequential when calculating tailgate weight.
Sponsored