Sponsored

Tailgate hinge mount hi-lift jack holder

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL Sport 3.6 V6
I have the stock tailgate hinge with a 33” spare on 17” aluminum wheel. I want to add a hinge mount hi-lift jack mount (and of course the jack itself) as well. Will I need an upgraded hinge?

Thanks.
Sponsored

T43

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
What mount are you planning to use? I've been thinking about something similar myself.

Moregone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I don't think it's necessary in the short term. But I would guess you like many, would appreciate the piece of mind.

With your current setup you are probably close or at the load capacity of 86lbs stated by Jeep. That said, the jack being close to the hinges is not the same pound for pound as adding weight further out at the wheel mount.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think it's necessary in the short term. But I would guess you like many, would appreciate the piece of mind.

With your current setup you are probably close or at the load capacity of 86lbs stated by Jeep. That said, the jack being close to the hinges is not the same pound for pound as adding weight further out at the wheel mount.
Thank you. I calculate the 17” aluminum wheel plus 33” tire to be about 70lbs, so yes it will be very close (lever arm length not withstanding).

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
20200128_151930.jpg
I have the above jack as well, works great. Had a support to the bottom so it's using 3 hinge bolts instead of 2. A tip for your soon to be noisy jack... Stick a piece of rubber or wood between the jack and the side of the mount and it will vastly reduce the noise.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20200128_151930.jpg
I have the above jack as well, works great. Had a support to the bottom so it's using 3 hinge bolts instead of 2. A tip for your soon to be noisy jack... Stick a piece of rubber or wood between the jack and the side of the mount and it will vastly reduce the noise.
Thanks. Just a clarifying question: what do you mean “support to the bottom” and the 3rd hinge bolt?

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
So 2 of the bolts on the hinge are blocked by the tire, one on top and one on bottom. The bracket is in an backwards L shape so the jack mounts to the top right and both bottom bolts on the hinges. If you have the mopar tire carrier there is a smaller bolt in the middle of the mount. This puts the weight on 3 bolts instead of only 2

Sponsored

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So 2 of the bolts on the hinge are blocked by the tire, one on top and one on bottom. The bracket is in an backwards L shape so the jack mounts to the top right and both bottom bolts on the hinges. If you have the mopar tire carrier there is a smaller bolt in the middle of the mount. This puts the weight on 3 bolts instead of only 2
Got it, thanks.

T43

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
I like the layout of that one. How close is it to the tail light with the gate swung open? I'm thinking if there is enough room I could either adapt that one or build one similar that left enough room between the jack and the spare for a chainsaw sleeve.

OP
OP

Rufus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the layout of that one. How close is it to the tail light with the gate swung open? I'm thinking if there is enough room I could either adapt that one or build one similar that left enough room between the jack and the spare for a chainsaw sleeve.
I don’t know. If I go that route I will post a pick with the gate open.

ZeroTrev

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Not a lot of clearance, but it doesn't hit my light.
Sponsored