Tailgate bottom rubbing - paint coming off

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Hey all. Wanted to know if anyone else is experiencing this and should it be something I bring up to the dealer or just touch it up and leave it alone.

Basically the hinge side bottom part of my tailgate might be slightly too low as it’s taking off the paint of the bottom part of where it meets and the tailgate as well. It’s hard to explain but see pics.

I put some lubrication tape on it for now. Plan to touch it up and then maybe put some film on it so it doesn’t rust or happen again.

Any thoughts? I have stock wheels and the mopar tailgate reinforcement on it. Not even 35s

thanks!

@JeepCares

C40A67D8-2E2B-478A-A74E-C733E9777F1B.jpeg
00119D36-7915-47FC-9BB9-140D0D006764.jpeg
D447E2E2-5F8F-4D05-8BB3-B71F99867012.jpeg
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
If you feel that that tailgate wear is warranty worthy---

You aren't going to get a lotta drive time outta your jeep-

Your tailgate SITUATION IS NORMAL --

JUST FAGETTABOUTIT !~

W.E.

JIMBO

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
If you feel that that tailgate wear is warranty worthy---

You aren't going to get a lotta drive time outta your jeep-

Your tailgate SITUATION IS NORMAL --

JUST FAGETTABOUTIT !~

W.E.

JIMBO
Uh, no, that is not normal. There is absolutely no reason the tailgate should be making contact with the tub like that at all.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Uh, no, that is not normal. There is absolutely no reason the tailgate should be making contact with the tub like that at all.
OK, mine does it occasionally too and I'm not about to cry to my DEALER FOR THIS minor bitch about structure--

Have a great day and be careful of the rain !

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Basically the hinge side bottom part of my tailgate might be slightly too low as it’s taking off the paint of the bottom part of where it meets and the tailgate as well. It’s hard to explain but see pics.
Does your gate line up properly on the outside when it's closed or can you actually see it off or sagging?

OP
OP
Mechanick

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Does your gate line up properly on the outside when it's closed or can you actually see it off or sagging?
yeah looks lined up correctly, just that corner is really tight it touches. It's probably off by a bit too low.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
I'm guessing when the tailgate reinforcement was installed the tailgate slid down a little. You could try loosening the four hinge bolts, pull up on the tailgate, and tighten the bolts again.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

open the back window shut the tailgate and loose the bolts and lift it up and re-tighten to spec. all fixed. maybe 15mins. would be easier to drop the spare off too

Sponsored

ptoemmes

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys “Edition” TBD Mar 2021
Yeah, my hunch is that that the door alignment slipped when installed at the factory. I suspect that option is installed at the factory just like an owner might do it - though the owner is likely to take more time with alignment. You would think the factory has a jig for this but who knows. Any way, yes try to re-align it yourself and if that does not work - MAYBE - grind a little off the bottom of the door and tough up that and the tub mark.

Probably fairly well known, but if you order the factory TG reinforcement on a Willys - at least on my departed 2017 - they slap that bugger right over the 4 Wheel Drive sticker on the tailgate. Took a while to peel the visible sticker part off the TG.

OP
OP
Mechanick

Mechanick

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Door is misaligned.

Did you install the reinforcement bracket?
No it was installed at the factory. I did see a video of the install where they used a spacer. Maybe they didn’t do that at the factory.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, do what others are saying and just loosen up the bolts a smidge and lift up the gate when you go to retighten. You may not even need to wedge anything into the gap below, but merely grab the top right corner of the gate, pull it up slightly, and hold it when you tighten the bolts (assuming you're using an impact or other power tool to do it). When I replaced my stock hinges with the EVO carrier, they recommend taping or wedging a shim below, but I just grabbed the gate and held it up and was able to line it up fairly easily.

Regardless, if however you do it doesn't solve the problem, make the dealership fix it until it's right.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
No it was installed at the factory. I did see a video of the install where they used a spacer. Maybe they didn’t do that at the factory.
If it came from the factory like that, I would take it back to the dealership and have them make it right. They should align the door properly and have the scuffed areas repainted.

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
OP - As you may know, we sell a popular CB antenna mount that attaches using the same threads as (either) of the hinges. In brief, we have quite a bit of experience with loosening the tailgate hinges. I'm not sure how handy you are, but it would be a relatively easy fix for you to do yourself (make sure its done right) and avoid taking it to the dealer. If you want to consider this, here's a short description of the steps involved.

1. Remove the spare tire. (Good practice.) And, it just makes everything easier.
2. Cut up an ordinary (brown) cardboard shipping box and make yourself a 3 or 4 4"x8" strips of cardboard.
3. CLOSE and latch the tailgate and place these folded strips of cardboard in the bottom gap of the tailgate.
4. Put a blue piece of painters tape across the vertical gap nearest the latch. Slit it for the gap and draw a horizontal line across the gap (this is going to be your alignment guide)
5. Use a T55 Torx socket on a ratchet to loosen all 4 hinge bolts. (You may need to tap the socket into the bolts to make sure you have a good grip.)
6. Use your alignment mark (Step 4) and lift the tailgate up 1/8" using the handle. Have a helper tighten one of the hinges.

I think it is easier than it sounds to adjust the tailgate and I frankly believe that most owners (if they are so inclined) will do a better job than the dealership. Wish you were closer to me as I wouldn't mind to lend you a hand.
Sponsored