Tailgate Bar for Tonneau Covers?

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
I plan on getting the Rampage tonneau cover when its released next month. I've searched the Google to see if there is a tailgate bar available as I have never heard of one as of yet. One hit showed Quadratec having Mopar retaining clips available for each side of the rear.
Anyone with soft tops have these?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/left-tailgate-bar-retainer-jeep-wrangler-jl

I emailed Rampage so I'll probably hear back at some point today or tomorrow but wondering if soft top owners have these retainers standard on their Jeeps and if there is a bar that runs along the tail gate door like the JK;s had. I saw this cover on Rampage's red Jeep but didnt even think to ask about this at the time in person. :facepalm:
I will order these retainer clips if needed in the mean time while I wait for the cover to be released.
Sponsored

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
I plan on getting the Rampage tonneau cover when its released next month. I've searched the Google to see if there is a tailgate bar available as I have never heard of one as of yet. One hit showed Quadratec having Mopar retaining clips available for each side of the rear.
Anyone with soft tops have these?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/left-tailgate-bar-retainer-jeep-wrangler-jl

I emailed Rampage so I'll probably hear back at some point today or tomorrow but wondering if soft top owners have these retainers standard on their Jeeps and if there is a bar that runs along the tail gate door like the JK;s had. I saw this cover on Rampage's red Jeep but didnt even think to ask about this at the time in person. :facepalm:
I will order these retainer clips if needed in the mean time while I wait for the cover to be released.

Did you ever hear back? I'm also wanting to purchase the Rampage Tonneau but only have a hardtop no tailgate bar.

Sting Ray Rubi

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon Sting Gray, 2018 Honda Accord
Vehicle Showcase
Those come with the soft top. If you are planning on using a tonneau cover that requires the use of the tailgate bar and brackets you can't use it with the hard top on, just fyi.

OP
OP
RW Sting Gray

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Did you ever hear back? I'm also wanting to purchase the Rampage Tonneau but only have a hardtop no tailgate bar.
They will come with a bar/everything u need apparently. been pushed to mid july for the tonneau tho. Hopefully this is the last push out, its summer!

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
They will come with a bar/everything u need apparently. been pushed to mid july for the tonneau tho. Hopefully this is the last push out, its summer!
Thanks.

I just read on cjponyparts one of the associates said the same thing that it does come with everything.

Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Just received the rampage tonneau cover... but no tailgate bar retainer clips.... did you get some with your order?

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
The Rampage tonneau cover does not come with tailgate bar and clips. There was another thread discussing this and the Smittybilt tonneau cover. It appeared that Smittybilt had a bar available for much cheaper than Jeep, without the need for the end pieces. See this thread, but I'm not sure if the original poster ever figured this out...

Cargo cover

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
The Rampage tonneau cover does not come with tailgate bar and clips. There was another thread discussing this and the Smittybilt tonneau cover. It appeared that Smittybilt had a bar available for much cheaper than Jeep, without the need for the end pieces. See this thread, but I'm not sure if the original poster ever figured this out...

Cargo cover
Thanks..I sent rampage a message earlier.. will wait to see what they say.... but will definitely check out the link you sent

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Hee hee! That's the one I found also...I asked them if it would work with their product... I'll post their response once I get it...

brewtus98

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara, 2003 TJ, 2004 TJ Rubicon, 2004 LJ
Vehicle Showcase

Cargo cover
Still haven't pulled the trigger on the Smittybilt yet since weather doesn't permit taking the top off yet!! Still on the list. Anyone else get it the Smittybilt installed yet?

Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Rampage said that the duster cover is made to work with the oem tailgate bar and that they didn't know if it would work with the smittybilt one, so I sent an email to smittybilt asking them.... waiting on an answer!

404ova808

First Name
Rahul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates to this thread? Im in the market to purchase a Smittybilt tonneau cover but want to make sure if there is any way it will work without the tailgate bar, or if the tailgate bar is included with either the Smittybilt or Rampage kit

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Any updates to this thread? Im in the market to purchase a Smittybilt tonneau cover but want to make sure if there is any way it will work without the tailgate bar, or if the tailgate bar is included with either the Smittybilt or Rampage kit
No bar included with rampage cover

I'm waiting for availability of the smittybilt bar...I think it's from China...

I wonder if anyone out there knows if the bestop tailgait bar will work withthe rampage cover?

T-Rock_Sahara

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara JLU
I talked to SmittyBilt today and they told me no bar is available. I already bought the SmittyBilt 771335 tonneau cover for my JLU, supposed to be arriving today. NOW I am going to try to find a bar to purchase since I don't have a soft top. This one looks promising. Hoping I can get one 'quickly' so I can start using it, we have 80 degree weather in AZ this weekend! https://www.amazon.com/Bestop-52700...rangler+JL+tailgate+bar&qid=1587067777&sr=8-7

I may try installing without the bar just to see how it works...will update what I learn if I do try it out. Still interested if anyone finds a bar that works and is less expensive. Happy Jeeping!

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
I talked to SmittyBilt today and they told me no bar is available. I already bought the SmittyBilt 771335 tonneau cover for my JLU, supposed to be arriving today. NOW I am going to try to find a bar to purchase since I don't have a soft top. This one looks promising. Hoping I can get one 'quickly' so I can start using it, we have 80 degree weather in AZ this weekend! https://www.amazon.com/Bestop-52700...rangler+JL+tailgate+bar&qid=1587067777&sr=8-7

I may try installing without the bar just to see how it works...will update what I learn if I do try it out. Still interested if anyone finds a bar that works and is less expensive. Happy Jeeping!
I spoke with a representative at bestop and asked if the tailgait bar would fit the factory OEM top and he said yes.... so If the rampage fits the OEM as they say, I have to deduce that it will fit with the bestop....I am waiting for replies from a couple of places...I will keep you updated...

UPDATE: I used the smittybilt jk tailgate bar and retainers... worked like a charm!
Sponsored

Last edited: