Sponsored

Tail Wiring for flat towing with 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL?

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited
Folks,

I will be flat towing my new 2018 Wrangler JL Sport behind my motorhome. Can someone provide me with some guidance on the proper tail wiring kit to purchase? Should I purchase the Mopar wiring kit for the JL? If so appreciate the Mopar part #. Been reading about the CoolTech wiring harness kit for the JL also. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Michelle
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JerseyJeepGirl

I'd go with the Cool Tech harness. Look to Blue Ox for your base plate. You will also need to consider braking... a brake controller.

OP
OP
JerseyJeepGirl

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JerseyJeepGirl

I'd go with the Cool Tech harness. Look to Blue Ox for your base plate. You will also need to consider braking... a brake controller.
Thanks Rhinebeck01 :) I'm am going with the Blue Ox base plate and leaning towards the Avail tow bar as it is aluminum and lighter. Just found out that Mopar does not even have a wiring harness kit so I'll go wiht the Cool Tech harness. Guess Cool Tech is the way to go?

Michelle

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have flat towed a Wrangler behind a Class A since 2004. I had the first harness offering, offered by Cool Tech for my 2007 JK. Kendall, the owner of Cool Tech has a great product(s) and will be there for you 100% if you have questions, etc.. DO go Cool Tech.

You may have a hurdle in regard to the brake controller. You will want to start to research as that will have to be addressed.

The Blue Ox Avail 10,000 lb. tow bar is pricey but real nice. Have seen one.. yes, real nice.

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
Blue ox also has the wire harness that I got with the base plate, works great, says it is for JK, JL but No issues towing 3,000 miles, also have the avail tow bar, towed a HHR and now a Jl with it, very nice unit! Wiring is BX8848 that will work for you.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JerseyJeepGirl

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks Rhinebeck01 :) I'm am going with the Blue Ox base plate and leaning towards the Avail tow bar as it is aluminum and lighter. Just found out that Mopar does not even have a wiring harness kit so I'll go wiht the Cool Tech harness. Guess Cool Tech is the way to go?

Michelle
I have flat towed a Wrangler behind a Class A since 2004. I had the first harness offering, offered by Cool Tech for my 2007 JK. Kendall, the owner of Cool Tech has a great product(s) and will be there for you 100% if you have questions, etc.. DO go Cool Tech.

You may have a hurdle in regard to the brake controller. You will want to start to research as that will have to be addressed.

The Blue Ox Avail 10,000 lb. tow bar is pricey but real nice. Have seen one.. yes, real nice.
I'm going with the Air Force One supplemental breaking unit as I have a Diesel Pusher with air brakes. Heard that Air Force One is the best out there if you have a coach with air brakes.

Question with the Cool Tech I see there is the Standard JL kit then the Deluxe. Any suggestion on which one to go with?

Also, I need to send instructions to the shop that wants to look at the instructions before they commit to installing. Can't seem to download them from the website. Any suggestions?

Thanks again!

Michelle :)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michelle.... In regard to Cool Tech offerings, I suggest you reach out to Kendall at Cool Tech, LLC. He can field questions and you can trust his advice.

attn: @CoolTech

OP
OP
JerseyJeepGirl

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michelle.... In regard to Cool Tech offerings, I suggest you reach out to Kendall at Cool Tech, LLC. He can field questions and you can trust his advice.

attn: @CoolTech
Been trying to call them but no luck with anyone answering the phone!

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JerseyJeepGirl

CoolTech, LLC states they are best contacted via email.

My @CoolTech sends an email to CoolTech, so Kendall will be / ha been made aware or this thread already.

As I stated, your big issue will be getting the braking addressed. The harness issue is an easy hurdle.

OP
OP
JerseyJeepGirl

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JerseyJeepGirl

CoolTech, LLC states they are best contacted via email.

My @CoolTech sends an email to CoolTech, so Kendall will be / ha been made aware or this thread already.

As I stated, your big issue will be getting the braking addressed. The harness issue is an easy hurdle.
Thanks Rhinebeck. I have everything ordered just waiting to hear from Cool Tech. Went with the Blue Ox base plate & Blue Ox Ascent tow bar, storage bag and all of the necessary wiring/connectors. My new JL didn't have the 4 button auxiliary switch bank option so I ordered the Mopar switch bank from Quadratek and the dealer is going to install that on Monday when they address some warranty related issues I am dealing with. I splurged and also bought the 30" LED hood kit from Rough Country. Looks like a neat unit! I'm sure I'll be adding other accessories down the road and will sit tight for now and get everything I ordered installed for starters!

Appreciate your assistance!

Michelle :)

Last edited:

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
This question is born of ignorance, so please try to be kind.

I get that it was suggested that the Wrangler acquire brake controllers. But aside from that, as it regards turn signals and brake lights on the towed JL, why wouldn't one of those dual magnetic light kits with the 4 pin connector, that illuminate on braking on when the headlights are one (even brighter when braking with the headlights on), and flash at turns not be adequate to plug into an RV's 4 pin harness, and magnetic clip on the left and right sides of the towed JL rig in the back of the RV?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MaxxHaul...5035&wl11=online&wl12=357416250&wl13=&veh=sem

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@RussJeep1
When you own a Class A RV, you don't usually lean toward jury rig setups like you mention. When you have a say $200,000+-, RV you do it right, or you don't do it at all.

Sure, some people may do as you suggest but not usually.

Today, they even have wireless type affairs as you mention but again few with a Class A, RV would lets say stoop to such a set-up.

OP
OP
JerseyJeepGirl

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This question is born of ignorance, so please try to be kind.

I get that it was suggested that the Wrangler acquire brake controllers. But aside from that, as it regards turn signals and brake lights on the towed JL, why wouldn't one of those dual magnetic light kits with the 4 pin connector, that illuminate on braking on when the headlights are one (even brighter when braking with the headlights on), and flash at turns not be adequate to plug into an RV's 4 pin harness, and magnetic clip on the left and right sides of the towed JL rig in the back of the RV?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/MaxxHaul...5035&wl11=online&wl12=357416250&wl13=&veh=sem
RussJeep1 I'm new to the Jeep scene but coming off towing vehicles behind our motorhome on a tow dolly for almost 20 years we are done with hooking things up for the tow dolly and tow vehicle and we just want the simpler life of getting it setup right once and for all and be done with it. We also went for a tow bar to eliminate the tow dolly all together. Much easier.

Same goes with the supplemental braking, I don't want a unit that I need to setup and take out of the Jeep every time which is why I am going with the Air Force One braking unit. It's a one time install and we are good to go.

Just my feelings.

Michelle

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JerseyJeepGirl I know you mentioned the Blue Ox tow bar so I know you will be toading it... all four on the ground.

Easier or not ...Do know that you should never... even for a short distance dolly tow a JL, with either, just front or rear on a tow dolly.

Not sure if you are aware of this.

OP
OP
JerseyJeepGirl

JerseyJeepGirl

First Name
Michelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@JerseyJeepGirl I know you mentioned the Blue Ox tow bar so I know you will be toading it... all four on the ground.

Easier or not ...Do know that you should never... even for a short distance dolly tow with either, just front or rear on a tow dolly.

Not sure if you are aware of this.
Wasn't aware of it until I caught one of your posts about not using a dolly to tow. One of the many reasons I bought my Jeep is to flat tow. The Jeep seems to be the vehicle of choice for many to flat tow.

Thanks for jumping in with that!

Michelle
Sponsored