Sponsored

Tail Wiring for flat towing with 2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Late to the party...but my setup....
Rock Hard Patriot Aluminum bumper, Custom tow plates directly bolted to the frame, frame reinforcements, Blue ox towbar, Mopar harness, RVi tow brakes system.

View attachment 223253

20190817_095252.jpg

20190817_095316.jpg

20190817_095346.jpg
Sponsored

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Mmfrmaz

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, 3.6L , Firecracker Red
Are the "frame reinforcements" part of the rock hard bumper kit?

zb39

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ram 5500, 2018 Durango GT AWD, 2015 malibu, GMC 3500 Dump, 70 challenger convertible, 2019 2 door rubicon, manual tranny
Nice set up, Looks great!

Hwy 395

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I just tried to install the Cooltech JL Tow Harness. Total Failure. I understood all the directions - very well. I hooked it up as instructed, step by step. I read and understood the main instruction pamphlet and the supplement before starting. I watched the one and only video on the kit install on Youtube - numerous times. I know how to wire. The kit did not work. I've got a 2019 JLU Sport. Now I've got cut up wires I need to fix.

In this whole process, I got desperate enough to take both my tails lights off to check the colored wires inside. I triple checked my connections. I triple checked my motorhome sending the signals to the proper wires up front.

Cooltech does not answer their email in a timely fashion - which is the only way to contact them. They have no phone number to call no matter how much you search their site. What company operates this way - silence? When you search the street address on Google Earth, it's just a house on a residential street in the hills above Los Angeles. I recommend staying away. I'm pulling this kit, fixing my wires and going Mopar. Not happy.

Sponsored

CoolTech

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Kendall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Adam,

I am deeply sorry for you experience and frustration. In the very least, we can supply you with a complete refund, or, alternatively, we can work with you to determine what happened with your install. I wish were were bigger/more profitable such that we could offer phone support. I can't rationalize (aka afford) to have someone manning phones and as I am doing virtually everything else for the business, it is just way too disruptive for me to try to handle. However, we do have what I hope is perceived as very good support through email. In breaks in our work day, evenings, weekends, etc we try to be responsive to any inquiries. There are occasions when I must travel on business... and email responsiveness may lax.... This does not occur often - typically it doesn't effect the business but in this case, it appears we created a perfect storm. Would instant telephone support be better for customers? I have no disagreement. Does our system work? Yes, we have had this model since our formation in 2006. 97%+ of the time, I think we have very satisfied customers.... and I just hate the cases like yours that for whatever the reason you're pulling your hair out and we we are at the heart of it. Again, very sorry to read this.

Regarding the harness kits. We have a little over 600 of these kits installed in Jeep (JL's and JT's) all over the Country. The rear light wiring of the Jeeps - be they 2-door, 4-door, Sahara, Sport, Rubicon, LED Light package or not, V6, 2.0 Turbo, etc, are ALL the same (thank goodness!). Of the 600 harnesses sold, the number of defective harnesses returned is ZERO. Yes, ZERO. I am very proud of that. Personally, I make every dang one of the harnesses - and I have made every dang one of the 1800+ Wrangler JK harnesses we have on the road. Early on (having lived through the JK harnesses), I tried to outsource the JL harnesses. I worked with two different companies and paid to get production samples from each of them. The quality was just not there.... the devil is in the details and I just lost confidence that I could communicate and resolve the small quality items. So I make them ALL myself.

But, let's get back to your case. Let's see which way to move forward is best for you - I'm open to help you get the kit installed correctly or, if you'd prefer to go another route, we can offer you a complete refund.

Hwy 395

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
Hi Kendall,
I appreciate the phone call this morning. I get your small and cannot man the phones all the time. I tried everything in my power to try yesterday both with the install and on line to reach you. I'm not sure what happened with your in house email - messaging.... it said it went through each time I sent something. Maybe a phone number to leave a voice message so you can return a call later? Anyway, I do appreciate the call this morning to try to help me out and make things right. It just arrived too late, but much appreciated. Next time. Adam