Sponsored

Tail light acting up

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Willy the Heep
So I have the LED package. I recieved a warning on my dash that my rear passenger taillight was out, and the turn signal on the dash did the fast blink like they typically do when one is out. The error would come and go. Well last night the warning was on so I had my son watch the tail light while I flipped the blinker and sure enough it is working with the bulb out warning on. Had anyone experienced this?
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
So I have the LED package. I recieved a warning on my dash that my rear passenger taillight was out, and the turn signal on the dash did the fast blink like they typically do when one is out. The error would come and go. Well last night the warning was on so I had my son watch the tail light while I flipped the blinker and sure enough it is working with the bulb out warning on. Had anyone experienced this?
I assume this LED package was factory installed ? It could be several things but if the CANBUS system is not seeing the correct voltage it will throw an error on bulb out and hyper flash, I don’t believe the bulbs on the LED lamps are replaceable so if you have part of that light not working correctly it will give you the error msg, my suggestion is to remove the light and ensure the connector is fully seated and I would even take it apart and snap back together just make sure you slide the tab down on the light before trying to pull apart and they are pretty snug.

If it still does the same thing then swap the light to the other side, you won’t be able to mount it but you can hand hold for testing to see if it generates the same error on the other side.

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Tail light acting up 6BC9C179-8D04-419B-A233-637DE59EB19B

This error? I had it last week. Same symptoms as you. I did notice some condensation in the middle of the tail light so I was thinking water intrusion leading to a short. I did disconnect my battery to include the spread on the negative for 10 minutes and the error message went away. The next day the rear signal went back to normal and the cab indicator began fully functioning. I’m not sure I solved anything or if it simply resolved.

Here is my thread on what I believe is the same issue. Maybe you can try/get something out of it.

See if you notice that the error occurs when you press the brakes.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/took-the-doors-off-then-this-happened.75205/

OP
OP
Ragincajun

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Tail light acting up 6BC9C179-8D04-419B-A233-637DE59EB19B

This error? I had it last week. Same symptoms as you. I did notice some condensation in the middle of the tail light so I was thinking water intrusion leading to a short. I did disconnect my battery to include the spread on the negative for 10 minutes and the error message went away. The next day the rear signal went back to normal and the cab indicator began fully functioning. I’m not sure I solved anything or if it simply resolved.

Here is my thread on what I believe is the same issue. Maybe you can try/get something out of it.

See if you notice that the error occurs when you press the brakes.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/took-the-doors-off-then-this-happened.75205/

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Jeep Wrangler JL Tail light acting up 0FAAA81B-FA46-43E4-AE21-87061C349AC1
Here is the condensation I was talking about. My other isn’t like that. Not sure that’s right.

OP
OP
Ragincajun

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is the LED package. Going to try the left right swap test then battery disconnect. I did not see any noticeable water intrusion but will investigate closer tomorrow. Thank you all!

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
LED lights are prone to condensation but that seems to be excessive, my 2018 did not have factory LEDS but I recently put in a set from Raxiom that resemble factory ones and there is no condensation like that, it may be a water intrusion causing a short like @FLjeeper was talking about.

I do know factory LED’s are pricy to replace, I’m sure you can buy one if that’s the case if out of warranty

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Here a pic of the Raxiom LED’s i plugged in and they are so much better than my stock halogen

Jeep Wrangler JL Tail light acting up 17FFA725-A81D-4E20-9A76-4F77926FB796
Jeep Wrangler JL Tail light acting up 6A547B5D-9E98-40C8-A8EC-1E558C96DE35

Left=Stock Right=Raxiom LED

Jeep Wrangler JL Tail light acting up 460EF68F-04EF-4A30-9AF6-195E8F8D34AE

OP
OP
Ragincajun

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Checked this morning. No moisture.

Those Raxiom are nice. At $350 each for the Mopar I will be going that route if Raxiom has an option for the Jeep’s with the LED package already.

Sponsored

FLjeeper

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon JLU

Those Raxiom are nice. At $350 each for the Mopar I will be going that route if Raxiom has an option for the Jeep’s with the LED package already.
I'm going to have the service department take a look at it. No way I'm spending $400 on something that is still under warranty.

OP
OP
Ragincajun

Ragincajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ironically at the dealer getting an oil change right now (I know, I know)….

Setting up an appointment for next Friday to look at it since they are booked today. Will pull battery cable and swap lights in interim to see if that fixes it.

I have the Mopar extended warranty so I need to read the fine print and see if it would be covered. Also have a $100 deductible if so. Still cheaper than $400 like you said though.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

Not sure Raxiom makes a set for a Wrangler that has been setup for factory LED’s ….don’t use Oracle, several have had issues and don’t use Winjet as I had a set of those and they gave me trouble in less than a week. There are sets of factory LED’s that show up in the BST section occasionally.

I would pull the connector and maybe use some dielectric grease on it and ensure it’s pushed in all the way until it clicks, I found the driver side on my halogen light not seated but it never gave me any trouble just never liked the weak halogen.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
I was just looking on the Quadratec website and it looks like it's around $600 for tail lights with BSM.
They sell on here for $350-$450 a set. You can also find single light from eBay or FB. Since warranty you would be fine. Let them swap it out.
Sponsored