Sponsored

Tail gate reinforcement kit worth the $ for 35's?

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
JEEPJL - You are likely over Mopar's 85lb limit. Combine this with the possibility that the OEM bump stops are not contacting the tire to help prevent wobble? I'd have some concerns.
Sponsored

Muddog

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saturn Ion
Just Empty Every Pocket !!

The new JL tailgates and made of a combination of magnesium / Aluminum at 1/4" thick compared to the 1/8" JK models . I have 20" rims with 35" tire and an RC relocation racket and its extremely solid ! ...no movement what so ever . Im confident with this set up as a DD but would consider beef it up If I decide to do some major off roading

IMG_78931.jpg

IMG_78941.jpg
Thanks. Nice ride! Where did you get the RC Relocation Bracket from?

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
I'd hold off. unless your exreme wheeling youl be fine, soon swing out carriers for the steel bumper group will be out for about the same price or less.

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep unlimted Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
JEEPJL - You are likely over Mopar's 85lb limit. Combine this with the possibility that the OEM bump stops are not contacting the tire to help prevent wobble? I'd have some concerns.
Thanks for your response ! . I am very cautious in everything I do to Her and I do a complete research on what I want to do to her i.e Lift , tire size , wheel size , mpg , wear and tear on gearing , breaks and so on. Before pulling the trigger with this combination My first concern was the tailgate load limit based on the many stories I have read and I wanted all the parts needed there ready for install as soon as She landed at the dealership.

Before I ordered my Tires and Rims I was well aware that with the relocation bracket I would be around 125lbs hanging off the tailgate

The two certified mechanics at the dealership that did the lift and mounted tires & Rims ( who both own modified jeeps ) confirmed that I would be fine for daily driving and light off roading . I have a Jeep Customs Shop who will be installing my Nfab nerf bars Friday until my power steps come in do not recommend installing the brackets with the new 1/4" magnesium tailgate and he owns 3 new JL's .

Im not trying to save money by any means with my fully loaded $64K out the door new toy and I think Ive developed OCD in the process of being over cautious on the parts I bought for her ............Alot of homework went into this and I feel more than confident that the new JL tailgate is rated to handle a much heaver load than the JK .

LOL - My search history for the past 2 months is - YouTube / Extreme Terrain / Mopar / JL Wrangler Forum / Rough Country / Way of Life / CJ Offroad / BleepinJeeps / Quadratrec / Teraflex and TFLnow -------Yea I may have OCD !!

Last edited:

Sponsored

stevenc

First Name
steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Sahara
Just Empty Every Pocket !!

The new JL tailgates and made of a combination of magnesium / Aluminum at 1/4" thick compared to the 1/8" JK models . I have 20" rims with 35" tire and an RC relocation racket and its extremely solid ! ...no movement what so ever . Im confident with this set up as a DD but would consider beef it up If I decide to do some major off roading

IMG_78931.jpg

IMG_78941.jpg
What is the width, offset and bore size of your rims?

nota4re

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4-door Rubi
Thanks for your response ! . I am very cautious in everything I do to Her and I do a complete research on what I want to do to her i.e Lift , tire size , wheel size , mpg , wear and tear on gearing , breaks and so on.
Yeah, I hope you will be OK. I knew the Mopar Beadlockers I put on mine were super heavy - very likely heavier than most. And then perhaps I was swayed too much by the thread on here where the OP dented his tailgate with a heavy wheel/tire combo. As FYI - below is a pic of what the OEM reinforcement really does. Without it, there is a gap of "just tailgate" between where the tire mounts and the hinges. As you can see in the pic below, the reinforcement kit spans that gap.... so that the load of the spare tire weight is on the hinge straps themselves and not the tailgate. No offense or disrespect to the dealership mechanics, but I'm betting they are not trained engineers. As such, knowing the wall thickness and load capabilities isn't necessarily obvious. For piece of mind, I opted for the kit.

IMG_5722.jpg

tnnjl

First Name
tnn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
-12mm

20x9

dont know bore size

Black Rhino 20 x 9 Warlord
Hi, I really like the rims setup you have, would you be kind to post a few more pics on the side of the jeep? btw, is your jeep a granite crystal color? Thanks much!

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I hope you will be OK. I knew the Mopar Beadlockers I put on mine were super heavy - very likely heavier than most. And then perhaps I was swayed too much by the thread on here where the OP dented his tailgate with a heavy wheel/tire combo. As FYI - below is a pic of what the OEM reinforcement really does. Without it, there is a gap of "just tailgate" between where the tire mounts and the hinges. As you can see in the pic below, the reinforcement kit spans that gap.... so that the load of the spare tire weight is on the hinge straps themselves and not the tailgate. No offense or disrespect to the dealership mechanics, but I'm betting they are not trained engineers. As such, knowing the wall thickness and load capabilities isn't necessarily obvious. For piece of mind, I opted for the kit.

IMG_5722.jpg
I weighed all that in and was going to go with the Mopar reinforcement kit

The video with the dented tailgate was a 37" tire which I would have most def installed the Kit ,

It really depends on what your going to do with your Rig .....bouncing around , climbing hills , rock crawling is a no-brainer ...drive down the road with an occasional speed bump and set of bad railroad tracks down here if Florida doesnt pose a threat or concern with me

Sponsored

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

rcgait1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW F80 M3, 2018 Wrangler JL Sahara
So a 33 inch tire and a 20 x 9 rim would be fine with the stock tailgate with no reinforcement bracket?

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So a 33 inch tire and a 20 x 9 rim would be fine with the stock tailgate with no reinforcement bracket?
33" tire is even lighter

Im not an engineer nor the maker of the Tailgates ut after all my research I personally belive they will hold fine for daily driving - Off road is different and would probably install the reinforcement kit

My opinion only

JEEPJL

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for posting additional pics. Did you have to do the alignment after replacing new wheels & tires?
Yes - the Jeep dealership did everything including Flashing for larger tires so speedometer was correct
Sponsored