Sponsored

Tail gate reinforcement kit worth the $ for 35's?

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Don't forget that static weight is different from dynamic weight. An 85 lb tire attached to the tailgate while parked stresses it much less than the same tire when you drop down off of a rock step. That situation is what happened to my old TJ, the tailgate survived but the hinge welds bent.
Sponsored

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Don't forget that static weight is different from dynamic weight. An 85 lb tire attached to the tailgate while parked stresses it much less than the same tire when you drop down off of a rock step. That situation is what happened to my old TJ, the tailgate survived but the hinge welds bent.
Those Sahara must be more expensive than a Rubicon. You're at 65.000 on a Sahara ? I thought the Rubicon was more expensive than Sahara. Rubicon as we know has the beef dubbed axles and you pay a lot more for it. They're selling Rubicons fully loaded with every option that's available plus a lift kit with 37s for 62.000 at some dealers. How can you be at 65.000 on a Sahara just wondering ?

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe
Those Sahara must be more expensive than a Rubicon. You're at 65.000 on a Sahara ? I thought the Rubicon was more expensive than Sahara. Rubicon as we know has the beef dubbed axles and you pay a lot more for it. They're selling Rubicons fully loaded with every option that's available plus a lift kit with 37s for 62.000 at some dealers. How can you be at 65.000 on a Sahara just wondering ?
Probably had a lot of work done st the dealer before driving off the lot and financed it through the dealer as part of the original purchase.

My MSRP for a Sahara is over 53, so let’s say he landed around 55k MSRP

Add:
$2k in wheels
$2k in tires
$2k in lift
Katzskin leather?
After market bumpers?
Oversized tire carrier?

That’d do it.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Probably had a lot of work done st the dealer before driving off the lot and financed it through the dealer as part of the original purchase.

My MSRP for a Sahara is over 53, so let’s say he landed around 55k MSRP

Add:
$2k in wheels
$2k in tires
$2k in lift
Katzskin leather?
After market bumpers?
Oversized tire carrier?

That’d do it.
Yeah I forgot how the dealer doubleds everything from what you could get it done at an after-market shop. My buddy tints windows and does a bunch of dealerships. He charges the dealer 110 per car and they charge the customer 300 and they don't even touch the vehicle. He goes and gets the vehicle takes it back to the shop then tints it an then takes it back to them and they make more than double. That's how the dealer does most of the aftermarket stuff

seals02

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I’m sure he backed into something or snagged it on a rock. The 85lbs weight limit is in addition to the spare tire. That rear gate is tough. All this misconception, from one video that showed this and has never been heard of again. I know Jeep appreciates all the $650 tailgate reinforcement sales from it.

From owners manual:

NOTE: If you have added aftermarket accessories to the spare tire mounted carrier, it cannot exceed a gross weight
of 85 lbs (38.5 kg) including the weight of the spare tire.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s

seals02

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
What's a stock Rubi tire and wheel weigh? Pretty sure the tire itself is 51lbs.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
What's a stock Rubi tire and wheel weigh? Pretty sure the tire itself is 51lbs.
I’ve looked it up on tirerack, and believe you are correct. I also recall another member here stating they weighed the stock wheel, and it came in at 21#. I think your tire (and the one I’m also getting) weighs in at 65# per tirerack.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
What is the max weight of the tailgate then?
That’s the big question now isn’t it. On the JK it was 50 lbs in addition to the spare so, as some mopar reps have said in Moab, 85lbs seems right to me. No one has ever been able to give us a number.

I ran a heavy 35 on my JK and wheeled the piss out of it. This JL tailgate is leaps and bounds stronger. I think if those that are really worried about it and wheel a lot, should really have a frame mounted carrier anyway. They can take hits on rocks, etc.
Most guys aren’t going to put more than 20-30 lbs on it extra anyway. That’s not going to hurt anything for a daily driver, once and a while wheeler.

I’m going to wheel the piss out of this one and don’t plan on anything. But that’s me. I’m just giving my opinion on the matter from experience.
I just think it’s foolish to worry about some video on the internet with a crease that could have come from his grandma backing into his Jeep, or his kid using it as a swing, or as a ladder or whatever.

Sponsored

Bill Tower

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited 4 door, Firecracker Red
Any one know if 315/70/17 BFG KM3 will fit on a Rubicon TG with steel bumper with out any upgrade to the tailgate?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
No one really knows a hundred percent because it's brand new they say what 35 you need to replace it but time will tell when people damage them with 35 or don't 37th absolutely a new one but everyone says it's too early to tell. They been out long enough to find out

Bill Tower

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon unlimited 4 door, Firecracker Red
No one really knows a hundred percent because it's brand new they say what 35 you need to replace it but time will tell when people damage them with 35 or don't 37th absolutely a new one but everyone says it's too early to tell. They been out long enough to find out
Thanks my 315 is only 34.5 inch, you would think if Jeep says 35 are ok, that the TG would be OK. Also,but I guess you never know
Thanks

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Any one know if 315/70/17 BFG KM3 will fit on a Rubicon TG with steel bumper with out any upgrade to the tailgate?
My 315 KO2's actually rest slightly on the steel bumper, taking some of the weight, and at least a bit of the jarring, off the hinges. When I go offroad, I actually air the spare up a bit to take even more weight off it and snug it a bit.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I don't think Jeep said 35s are ok they said we will see in time. I would not take the chance on the price of a new tailgate
Sponsored