Sponsored

Tail gate reinforcement kit worth the $ for 35's?

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Is the tail gate reinforcement kit & spare tire modification kit required for 35's? My 35's weigh 62.86 lbs, and I am unsure of the weight of my Mopar bead lock wheels. I remember reading somewhere that the new tail gate is rated for 85 lbs? Therefore, is it worth the $850 (I will install myself) for the kit with 35's? I don't mind to spend the $$ if it's warranted, but am unsure if the kit is intended for 37's or heavier tires? Thanks for any help/input.
Sponsored

MBurgJL

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Is the tail gate reinforcement kit & spare tire modification kit required for 35's? My 35's weigh 62.86 lbs, and I am unsure of the weight of my Mopar bead lock wheels. I remember reading somewhere that the new tail gate is rated for 85 lbs? Therefore, is it worth the $850 (I will install myself) for the kit with 35's? I don't mind to spend the $$ if it's warranted, but am unsure if the kit is intended for 37's or heavier tires? Thanks for any help/input.
Good question. I am curious too.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
No. Not worth it. I think the tail gate can handle the size and weight of 35s. And for $850, have a look at the AEV swing away carrier. You can install it with stock bumpers (both Std & steel), it swings open with the tailgate, and it can hold waaay more than just a spare. Think Hi-lift jack, shovel, gas, etc.

Edit: Wait, OP, you have a Rubi? Didn't that come with the tailgate reinforcement?

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No. Not worth it. I think the tail gate can handle the size and weight of 35s. And for $850, have a look at the AEV swing away carrier. You can install it with stock bumpers (both Std & steel), it swings open with the tailgate, and it can hold waaay more than just a spare. Think Hi-lift jack, shovel, gas, etc.

Edit: Wait, OP, you have a Rubi? Didn't that come with the tailgate reinforcement?
No, it did not come with the tg reinforcement unfortunately. I wasn't sure if this was just a gimmick from Mopar to just spend $850 when you don't need it.

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
TeraFlex for Jeep Wrangler HD Hinged Hinge Carrier when available, would be where I would put my money. I know the JK one was about $450, easy to install and real decent looking. Used with stock bumper also. I would not be to quick to give $800+ for the Mopar offering.

I heard the stock tailgate holder was aok for up to 85# so I would not sweat it... maybe wait a tad to see aftermarket offerings that will soon be avail. I'm sure.

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TeraFlex for Jeep Wrangler HD Hinged Hinge Carrier when available, would be where I would put my money. I know the JK one was about $450, easy to install and real decent looking. Used with stock bumper also. I would not be to quick to give $800+ for the Mopar offering.

I heard the stock tailgate holder was aok for up to 85# so I would not sweat it... maybe wait a tad to see aftermarket offerings that will soon be avail. I'm sure.
That's a good idea. One thing I noticed about the Mopar kit is that you don't actually replace or reinforce the actual hinges that are attached to the rear quarter and have pins in them. This bracket just goes over the factory "arm" extension which for $850, seems cheap. I would have thought Mopar would have offered bigger hinges/pins in addition to the bracket for that amount of coin, you know?

Last edited:

seals02

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

AEV has a tire carrier that attaches to the JL rear bumper? Only saw the JK version... Could you provide the link?

seals02

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
AEV has a tire carrier that attaches to the JL rear bumper? Only saw the JK version... Could you provide the link?
It will likely be the same thing for the JL. The current one bolts t the frame, with an easy cut out in the bumper. I'm making assumptions, but that is the carrier I want and hope to get. Unless I get a JT.

JASPER

First Name
Wayolife Sucks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon and 2014 JK 2dr
That isn't AEV...that is JCR and does not attach to the stock bumpers... attaches to the tailgate/hinges. Also "Coming soon" so it is not currently available for the JL. Photos on their website are of JK currently.
I know cool huh...

seals02

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU

Does anyone have the link for where it as the tailgates weight capacity?

OP
OP
PaulNY

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I actually called Mopar today for this info, and they couldnā€™t even provide it. The few times Iā€™ve called Mopar so far has been, well uninspiring to say the least.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Don't have time to hunt it down right now but I'm pretty sure one place I read "85 lbs." was in the downloadable 2018 JL owner's manual.
Sponsored