Sponsored

Tabs Underneath Steel Rear Bumper

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
What hardware do I need to bolt up these tabs under the steel rear bumper to the rear crossmember. I purchased front and rear steel bumpers and this is the only thing I can't figure out.

20181206_181746.jpg

20181206_182116.jpg
Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, mine does too--the steel bumper has two horizontal tabs bolted to bottom of the rear crossmember-

They appear to be 16 MM x1-1/4" and it looks like WHEN ORDERED as an option, there's a captive threaded insert in the crossmember-

Any bolt/nut that size would work--

The jeep doesn't come with much extra--in addition to your initial order--

Good luck

JIMBO

jayteal

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon; 2018 JLUR; 2004 TJ
Yeah, mine does too--the steel bumper has two horizontal tabs bolted to bottom of the rear crossmember-

They appear to be 16 MM x1-1/4" and it looks like WHEN ORDERED as an option, there's a captive threaded insert in the crossmember-

Any bolt/nut that size would work--

The jeep doesn't come with much extra--in addition to your initial order--

Good luck

JIMBO

Exactly - when ordered there are two captive thread inserts that you place inside the hole, thread in the bolt so that the insert expands and stays put. Then you unscrew the bolt, attach the bumper and the reinsert the bolt and torque down. Kind of weird but it worked when I installed my rear steel bumper last week after ordered one from my dealer.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
COOL-

Thanx Jay

JIMBO

OP
OP
OversandJL

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,

Indubitably

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
I just found the Mopar Rivnuts which will I hope fit into the hex space and hold the tab of the Metal Rear bumper in place. I don't see much else in the beef department holding and supporting the bumper. Also how do you shove the bumper into the crossmember sufficient to capture? Maybe my Hitch assembly is in the way??

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
I just found the Mopar Rivnuts which will I hope fit into the hex space and hold the tab of the Metal Rear bumper in place. I don't see much else in the beef department holding and supporting the bumper. Also how do you shove the bumper into the crossmember sufficient to capture? Maybe my Hitch assembly is in the way??
Can you post a picture of what you are trying to do?.. I would not recommend a rivnut to secure a bumper..

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
Can you post a picture of what you are trying to do?.. I would not recommend a rivnut to secure a bumper..
The lower two rivnuts are factory, the pullout strength on rivnuts is very high.

There are multiple other fasteners that hold the bumper on, not just the two lower bolts

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
The lower two rivnuts are factory, the pullout strength on rivnuts is very high.

There are multiple other fasteners that hold the bumper on, not just the two lower bolts
ohh ok.. OrneryBear is right.. I looked at the image again and I understand it now... this is not just some random rivnut.. it is a MOPAR version specifically made to fit that hexagonally shaped hole in the frame... yeah.. those are strong.. nice!

Here is another thread on the matter.. there is a video on how to install the rivnut..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...aa-m10-bracket-to-frame-rivnut-nutsert.87415/

If the holes don't align then I think the best way is to loosen all bolts to allow you to wiggle the bumper and insert the bolts... then, once all bolts are hand threaded proceed to go around with the wrench a bit at a time until all bolts all seated correctly and the torque them to spec.
Sponsored