Sponsored

T-boned, $9K in damage, some questions (making sure repairs are good)

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I got t-boned on the right side a few days ago. The the other car was very light, so pretty much bounced off my Jeep.

The damage I sustained appears to be the front/rear right tires (the car rotated and its left side slammed into the right side of my Jeep), the door is bent out of shape, the front and rear quarter panels are banged up.

Luckily I have all my mods insured:

Stereo ($1,000) <-- just in case it is stolen​
Lift kit ($1,500)​
Wheel kit ($1500)​
Skid plates ($1,500)​
Front Bump ($500)​
Rear Bump ($1000)​
Winch ($250)​
Rock slider ($300)​

The Insurance Adjuster let me know up front, he's only eye-balling things to provide an estimate, but the shop (that I chose) will provide the actual damage and costs. I have a $500 deductible. The insurance amounts is a bit low, but didn't want my bill to be too high due to the rider, so it's fine.

I gave the shop all the part numbers for the mods, to avoid them getting some cheap/knockoff mods, I'll only accept exact replacements, no wiggle room there.

I know I need to drive the Jeep, test all the electronics, including the off-road lights, the winch, etc.

I have a full steel belly skid plate (3/16") installed for my Moab/Rubicon trip, that I now have to postpone.

Is it reasonable to ask the shop the remove the skid plate and look down there for any damage, my concern is not sure they'd be able to put it back properly?
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I think if they can’t put it back that’s a sign there is more damage than you thought. If they pull it off, repair the jeep, and can’t put it back I’d think that means they repaired the frame after removing the skid plate.
I have no experience with insurance riders for aftermarket parts though.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
They should pull the aftermarket skids and check things out. I would just mention they are aftermarket skids and what kind and model, maybe even offer them the install directions. I have done this before on aftermarket parts at various shops and it never seems to be an issue, most shops are appreciative of the heads up.

what insurance do you have? I need a new one that insures mods.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
They should pull the aftermarket skids and check things out. I would just mention they are aftermarket skids and what kind and model, maybe even offer them the install directions. I have done this before on aftermarket parts at various shops and it never seems to be an issue, most shops are appreciative of the heads up.

Geico insured mods.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Is it reasonable to ask the shop the remove the skid plate and look down there for any damage, my concern is not sure they'd be able to put it back properly?
Two things come to mind:

1. If the shop personnel who removed the skid plate can't then reinstall it properly in the absence of any discovered damage, can they or should they be trusted with repairing the damage that is plainly evident?

2. If damage is discovered and repaired, which then prevents the skid plate from being properly refitted, how would Geico proceed here? You say the skid plate is insured, but you don't mention that it was damaged in the collision. To what degree would you then be on the hook to pay for a solution here?

Sponsored

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Two things come to mind:

1. If the shop personnel who removed the skid plate can't then reinstall it properly in the absence of any discovered damage, can they or should they be trusted with repairing the damage that is plainly evident?

2. If damage is discovered and repaired, which then prevents the skid plate from being properly refitted, how would Geico proceed here? You say the skid plate is insured, but you don't mention that it was damaged in the collision. To what degree would you then be on the hook to pay for a solution here?
Very sound advice, thanks!

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

Thanks, they’re removing the skids now.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I think if they can’t put it back that’s a sign there is more damage than you thought. If they pull it off, repair the jeep, and can’t put it back I’d think that means they repaired the frame after removing the skid plate.
I have no experience with insurance riders for aftermarket parts though.
Wow never thought of that, thank you!

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Why are you paying deductible if you were the one hit?
Could be be the other party is under insured. I know when my stepfather had his Corvette hit by a kid with shady insurance and state minimum. He ended up going through his insurance and paying the deductible because the other party was underinsured. I can't recall if they ever sent him the deductible back, I recall him saying Geico would if they could recover all the cost and I doubt they could from the kid or the General.

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Could be be the other party is under insured. I know when my stepfather had his Corvette hit by a kid with shady insurance and state minimum. He ended up going through his insurance and paying the deductible because the other party was underinsured. I can't recall if they ever sent him the deductible back, I recall him saying Geico would if they could recover all the cost and I doubt they could from the kid or the General.
Ahh. Insurance is a bit different up here in Canada I guess. Lol.

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Sell your Jeep after repairs are completed--it will never be right after major damage; used prices are crazy now so a good time to sell.
Thanks, checked with the insurance company, they told I can bring it back if there are any repair issues.

NJJeep Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hella Yella JLU
My wife got lightly crashed by a woman driving drunk. Got my deductible back after the insurance companies worked it out. Sadly she is looking at real jail time. 2x DUI and hit and run charges.
Sponsored