Sponsored

T-boned, $9K in damage, some questions (making sure repairs are good)

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
My wife got lightly crashed by a woman driving drunk. Got my deductible back after the insurance companies worked it out. Sadly she is looking at real jail time. 2x DUI and hit and run charges.
Nothing sad about that, at least there she can't kill an innocent.
Sponsored

palmor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude, 2018 JLU Moab
Is it reasonable to ask the shop the remove the skid plate and look down there for any damage, my concern is not sure they'd be able to put it back properly?
Yes!

Only been in one accident that resulted in significant damage. While the insurance agent gave an initial estimate of 7k-10k in damage the total ended up being ~20k after the shop got it and did their analysis. If the shop is good they will look for everything they can find that was damaged.

In case someone is wondering, this wasn't a jeep, it was a 2011 Audi S4 that got rear ended on the passenger side so even $20k in damage didn't total it. Car was perfect afterwards and never had an issue in the years after the accident (traded in 2018 for the Jeep).

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (Snazzberry)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes!

Only been in one accident that resulted in significant damage. While the insurance agent gave an initial estimate of 7k-10k in damage the total ended up being ~20k after the shop got it and did their analysis. If the shop is good they will look for everything they can find that was damaged.

In case someone is wondering, this wasn't a jeep, it was a 2011 Audi S4 that got rear ended on the passenger side so even $20k in damage didn't total it. Car was perfect afterwards and never had an issue in the years after the accident (traded in 2018 for the Jeep).
I was told by the shop, that even before removing the full skidplate, the damage appears to be $20K or more.

Turchman

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 VW Tiguan, 2001 Infinity
Occupation
Engineer and Quality Manager
Our last Jeep got T boned a few years ago, and had vibration issues afterwords. Took a few months of me complaining before we finally figured out it had a broken motor mount. Just an FYI if you have similar issues.

Sponsored

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I asked Geico about this, what would happen if after the Jeep is repaired, we find more wrong with it, they told me to report it, and it would be handled as part of the claim, provided the adjuster/shop confirm it.

garyji

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JK Sahara, 2021 JLU Willys
My wife got lightly crashed by a woman driving drunk. Got my deductible back after the insurance companies worked it out. Sadly she is looking at real jail time. 2x DUI and hit and run charges.
You must have a really big heart, and good for you. I, however wouldn't be able to feel any "Sadly" whatsoever!!

G.

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
Sadly she is looking at real jail time. 2x DUI and hit and run charges.
Why is that sad?
Maybe it's just me, but I have no sympathy whatsoever for drunk drivers regardless if it is an addiction issue or not.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wrangler’s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many —myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma again, I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
How much did Geico charge to insure those parts?
Also, you should never pay the deductible if you are not at fault. Even if the other driver is under insured, let the insurance companies figure it out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
donmontalvo

donmontalvo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
donmontalvo.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Here in the US Toyota Tacoma offers amazing value. A Double Cab TRD Off-road, with rear locker, Bilstein shocks, crawl control, etc., retails for $10,000 below a comparably equipped Wrangler or Gladiator.

The cabin is a bit small, but the trucks are very well put together and resale is as good as Wrangler’s. Tacomas ride and handle better on-road than Jeeps, but finding a comfortable driving position can be difficult for many —myself included. One key drawback of Tacoma is that customization is not nearly as easy as what we are used to. On the other hand, Toyota just started offering a factory installed 2-inch lift!

If I were to do a Tacoma again, I would skip the automatic and get the 6-speed manual. That 6-speed automatic has got to be one of the worst driving drivetrains of all time.
Toyota's TRD Pro line is like Jeep's Rubicon line, where the kit is all about serious offroading. Piggyback Fox shocks, 1/4" aluminum skid plates, rear locker, crawl controls, multi terrain settings, etc., etc.

I'm going to compare the Tocoma TRD Pro with the Gladiator Rubicon to see how they compare.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota's TRD Pro line is like Jeep's Rubicon line, where the kit is all about serious offroading. Piggyback Fox shocks, 1/4" aluminum skid plates, rear locker, crawl controls, multi terrain settings, etc., etc.

I'm going to compare the Tocoma TRD Pro with the Gladiator Rubicon to see how they compare.
The TRD Pro is the flashy trim level; TRD Off-Road gets you most of the good hardware without the bling.

A well-equipped TRD Off-Road, with manual transmission, rear locker, crawl control, Bilstein shocks, the new factory installed 2-inch lift, leather heated seats, dual climate control, premium audio, blind spot monitor, Navi, TRD exhaust (the regular exhaust sounds like shit), etc., etc., etc, comes out to under $42,000.

TorturedMargot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL, 2013 Dodge Charger R/T
Clubs

I’m sure it will be a good lesson for the assailant.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
You're over thinking this. Just take have the shop do the repairs and enjoy your Jeep.

$9k in damage isn't much and it doesn't sound like there is any reason to think there is frame damage or any reason to think the skids won't go back on, etc.

Kawikjai

First Name
Kawik jaky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Auto
Hey,
Jeep Wrangler JL T-boned, $9K in damage, some questions (making sure repairs are good) sidu jee

After the T-bone incident its great that you are being thorough with your Jeep repairs. Providing your insurance with the mod part numbers is a smart move. Your chosen repair shop will give an accurate estimate. Test all electronics post-repairs. Asking the shop to inspect beneath the skid plate is reasonable. You might want to visit the https://signaturedetailers.com/ company in washington dc for more details.
Sponsored

Last edited: