Synthetic winch rope with come along

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLU Willys Sport, 89 CRX Si, 90 Buick Reatta
Thought about this while researching winches. I have a 5-ton (10k lb) come-along with 10' of cable, 30' of recovery rope, and a tree saver. Could I use additional synthetic winch rope as a way to extend the reach to an anchor point for recovery / use with a snatch block? I don't plan on getting stuck, but would like some insurance without the added weight and cost of a dedicated winch. Definitely appreciated having my neighbor pull me out of mud when we went camping the other weekend.
Sponsored

Reactions: J0E

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
Why not? As long as you safely rig for the situation a hand winch will work fine and give you some exercise—

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ
This is the same solution I decided to use. I have the wyeth-scott 3ton puller. It has 35' of synthetic line with it already, and I do the same as you, I have multiple straps to extend it if I need it, but I'm also going to get a 150'-200' piece of synthetic line for it to extend it as well if needed. (I'm also going to be using it for it's intended purpose of pulling some trees as well.) Since it's only a 3ton puller I may have to use a doubler pully. A piece of winch line will work better/give me more optioins than straps.

What I like about using the hand winch is I can pull from any direction on the vehicle, front, back, side. I can also easily move it from one vehicle to another. I keep it in a little tool box and can just throw it in when I want to take it with me, but don't have to carry it all the time. We took a vacation to Michigan this past winter and they forecasted some snow storms so I just threw the winch in the back of our grand cherokee just in case.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Even though I have a 100ft line on my bumper mounted winch, I carry another 100ft of synthetic line (Samson AmSteel Blue) Samson AmSteel®-Blue 12-Strand Dyneema SK-78 Synthetic Line (sregear.com) extra straps, soft shackles, pulleys, etc.

But, to the OP, yes. Carry more line. Carry a couple soft shackles and aluminum pulleys (new wave "snatch block") and a strap or two.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Yup-used similar set up for years. Cheap and it works. It IS work for you, but it WILL get you out😊

Sponsored

OP
OP
jollyjerry

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yup-used similar set up for years. Cheap and it works. It IS work for you, but it WILL get you out😊
Nice, this is the confirmation I'm looking for. I want functional insurance.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice, this is the confirmation I'm looking for. I want functional insurance.
You’ll be fine. Just remember has some “stretch” so the distance moved by the come along will be a bit less than when using a steel cable. Much safer though. Carry an entrenching tool/folding shovel and you can always use your spare wheel tire as aground anchor if nothing else is available. Not fun or easy, but it beats heck out of being stuck in the middle of nowhere👍

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
This is the same solution I decided to use. I have the wyeth-scott 3ton puller. It has 35' of synthetic line with it already, and I do the same as you, I have multiple straps to extend it if I need it, but I'm also going to get a 150'-200' piece of synthetic line for it to extend it as well if needed. (I'm also going to be using it for it's intended purpose of pulling some trees as well.) Since it's only a 3ton puller I may have to use a doubler pully. A piece of winch line will work better/give me more optioins than straps.

What I like about using the hand winch is I can pull from any direction on the vehicle, front, back, side. I can also easily move it from one vehicle to another. I keep it in a little tool box and can just throw it in when I want to take it with me, but don't have to carry it all the time. We took a vacation to Michigan this past winter and they forecasted some snow storms so I just threw the winch in the back of our grand cherokee just in case.
I can pull from any direction on the vehicle,

Having a puller is a big advantage in a rollover, pulling from the side.

going to get a 150'-200' piece of synthetic line

I think the best line for the money is the BADLAND 12,000 lb. 80 ft. x 3/8 in. Synthetic Winch Rope. I got one for an extra rope and for Spanish Burton recovers, replacement rope, or extension. It's got a loop on both ends.

Not cheap. I've been looking for one, but shipped to Hawaii, they're more than a new winch.

My buddy rolled his buggy and I couldn't get within half a mile of it with my JLR on 38's. It took 4 of us 2 hours to get it rolled over, tugging, jacking, etc. It would have been a simple and safer recovery with a puller.

BrierPatch

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLU80, 15 WK2, 13 Silverado 1500. Had: 02 TJ

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

I think the best line for the money is the BADLAND 12,000 lb. 80 ft. x 3/8 in. Synthetic Winch Rope. I got one for an extra rope and for Spanish Burton recovers, replacement rope, or extension. It's got a loop on both ends.

Not cheap. I've been looking for one, but shipped to Hawaii, they're more than a new winch.

My buddy rolled his buggy and I couldn't get within half a mile of it with my JLR on 38's. It took 4 of us 2 hours to get it rolled over, tugging, jacking, etc. It would have been a simple and safer recovery with a puller.
Wow-the puller I used years ago was like $80. I’ve now got a cheapo 6k unit from harbor freight I use occasionally on the farm-it was $40. It’s not great but it works fairly well. I’d want a heavier/better on for self recovery.

OP
OP
jollyjerry

jollyjerry

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Spanish Burton 4x was really interesting. Lead me to this video. Enjoyed this guy's channel overall.

Sponsored