synergy vs steersmarts

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Would like any recommendations when choosing between a Steersmarts or Synergy steering setup. Looking to replace the tie rod, drag link, trackbar and steering damper (if needed). Any opinions on quality or support or? Seems that steersmarts is a bit more expensive, but I haven't priced it all out.

I am running 37" on an EVO long arm lift with 3.5" of lift.

Next, would be be correct that with 3.5" of lift I should look at the topmount draglink?

Anything else I should consider before I move down this path?

thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I have steersmarts so this is probably bias, but the build quality and the sheer size of the parts is well worth it over the others. The others are nice and will do the job just fine, i just appreciate the beefiness. Ive hit my wheels too hard more times than i care for with them and nothing ever gets shifted steering and alignment always stays the same.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Would like any recommendations when choosing between a Steersmarts or Synergy steering setup. Looking to replace the tie rod, drag link, trackbar and steering damper (if needed). Any opinions on quality or support or? Seems that steersmarts is a bit more expensive, but I haven't priced it all out.

I am running 37" on an EVO long arm lift with 3.5" of lift.

Next, would be be correct that with 3.5" of lift I should look at the topmount draglink?

Anything else I should consider before I move down this path?

thanks in advance.
I'd go with Synergy and your probably lifted enough you can do the top mount drag link.

The SteerSmarts I don't like as the track-bar is made to appear beefy but is overly complex with the central clamp/adjuster which adds a lot of additional fasteners that are not needed. A single adjustable end is all that is needed. The drag and tie rods are better; but use very expensive tie rod ends versus the simple but reliable ones Synergy uses.

I think EVO also has track-bars that you may want to consider as you already have some of their stuff on your keep.

Alanscott1

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
Occupation
A&P Mechanic
Had a similar dilemma and I ended up going with Synergy after pricing everything out. One thing that sold me was the replacement cost for the tie rod ends. Costs about $90 for both synergy ends vs $180 for a single steersmarts end. Also prefer the design of the synergy components, a bit more low profile.

Edit: Also like to add the difference in cost for me between the two for the drag link and tie rod plus steering stabilizer relocation brackets was more than $200. Really like the steer smarts stuff but couldn’t justify the extra cost.

Last edited:

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
It’s a win-win proposition, both of those companies are respected and produce quality parts that exceed OEM parts. You won’t be wrong in choosing either one.

SteerSmarts produced this video through, FWIW

Sponsored

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
I'd go with Synergy and your probably lifted enough you can do the top mount drag link.

The SteerSmarts I don't like as the track-bar is made to appear beefy but is overly complex with the central clamp/adjuster which adds a lot of additional fasteners that are not needed. A single adjustable end is all that is needed. The drag and tie rods are better; but use very expensive tie rod ends versus the simple but reliable ones Synergy uses.

I think EVO also has track-bars that you may want to consider as you already have some of their stuff on your keep.
I think "overly complex" is subjective. Some people like being able to adjust the track bar without having to un-bolt one end, make adjustments, re-install, and repeat until it's correct. Some people also prefer the clamp to rod ends with a jam nut as the clamps tend to stay tight better.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I think "overly complex" is subjective. Some people like being able to adjust the track bar without having to un-bolt one end, make adjustments, re-install, and repeat until it's correct. Some people also prefer the clamp to rod ends with a jam nut as the clamps tend to stay tight better.
The thing is for a track bar you never need to fidget to get it perfect. I love double adjusters on the drag and tie bars but on the track it’s just extra complexity.

And it’s the weak link with the steersmart as you have this huge beefy track bar with this hollow double adjuster in the middle. Completely negates the positives.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I haven’t personlly ran the synergy yet but have seen them in person and crawled all around them. I think both are terrific products and over built for anything that can be thrown at them. The hollow adjustment sleeve is of zero concern to me. This thing is pure beef

Brett

OP
OP
Cali-JeepJL

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Thanks all! Wow the Steersmart has a lot of choices - Any input on the steersmarts Griffin XD attenuator?
Who is running the full setup with the XD attenuator and the steering damper? Thoughts?

Sponsored

Rock Krawler Suspension

First Name
Tech Support
Threads
Reaction score
Website
rockkrawler.com
Vehicle(s)
Red JLUR, White JLUR, Yellow JL (3 so far), Bikini Diesel JLU, Billet JT, Hydro Blue JT
We used Steer Smarts bottom mount drag links and tie rods on all of our current builds. They've stood up to our abuse. We have not run Synergy steering so we can't provide any input there.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I have the Griffin, but JUST installed it. Will provide feedback, once i get it out there. You might want to consider the bottom-mount drag. A few have posted that you will have limited up-travel with doing a top mount. 1 person switched from top to bottom for that reason. MC recommends doing bottom for their 3.5.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
It’s a win-win proposition, both of those companies are respected and produce quality parts that exceed OEM parts. You won’t be wrong in choosing either one.

SteerSmarts produced this video through, FWIW

You're spot on CT, either way it's hard to go wrong.

The video drives home why we sell a ton of SteerSmarts parts. Their beef and build quality is flat out excellent.

OP
OP
Cali-JeepJL

Cali-JeepJL

First Name
Rowan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
Excuse my ignorance - but can someone educate me on top mount vs bottom mount geometry? I thought top mount was explicitly for lifted suspensions.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Excuse my ignorance - but can someone educate me on top mount vs bottom mount geometry? I thought top mount was explicitly for lifted suspensions.
It is for higher lifts. Somewhere around 3"-3.5" you can use a top mount drag link and track bar re-location bracket. It gets the drag link and track bar more parallel to the ground again for better suspension geometry.
Sponsored