Sponsored

Synergy or Rusty's or Steer Smarts front track bar brace?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm trying to minimize play in my steering. I already have the "new" steering box.

Naïve question: When I see YouTube videos depicting steering box movement, does the track bar brace itself address that, or is it the sector shaft brace? I ask because Rusty's and Steer Smart make a brace without the sector shaft add-on, while Synergy's has both. It seems that the sector shaft portion makes it more expensive, harder to install (who owns a 42mm socket?), and requires periodic maintenance (greasing at least). I'm far from an engineer, so help a brother out - do I need the sector shaft brace? I don't off-road.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I'm trying to minimize play in my steering. I already have the "new" steering box.

Naïve question: When I see YouTube videos depicting steering box movement, does the track bar brace itself address that, or is it the sector shaft brace? I ask because Rusty's and Steer Smart make a brace without the sector shaft add-on, while Synergy's has both. It seems that the sector shaft portion makes it more expensive, harder to install (who owns a 42mm socket?), and requires periodic maintenance (greasing at least). I'm far from an engineer, so help a brother out - do I need the sector shaft brace? I don't off-road.

Thanks in advance.
If you're hell bent on trying the synergy option, I've got one that was never installed. I just opened it to check it out and to put the socket in the box. I can send it to you, complete with the socket and the 3/4" to 1/2" drive adapter if you want to try it out.

I'm going with the SteerSmarts track bar reinforcement, for the added rigidity at that frame connection point. It doesn't help against free play, but does help to minimize flex in the chassis rail.

OP
OP
rickinAZ

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
If you're hell bent on trying the synergy option, I've got one that was never installed. I just opened it to check it out and to put the socket in the box. I can send it to you, complete with the socket and the 3/4" to 1/2" drive adapter if you want to try it out.

I'm going with the SteerSmarts track bar reinforcement, for the added rigidity at that frame connection point. It doesn't help against free play, but does help to minimize flex in the chassis rail.
Actually, I'm trying not to deal with that 42mm nut at all. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best. My biggest curiosity is whether the non-sector shaft solutions (like SteerSmarts/Rusty's) reduce play with the much simpler track bar only reinforcement. Truth be told, given that I have the new steering box, and only about one inch of play, I may be a dialed in as I can be already. Those damn JKs set a high bar for steering feel, and I'm spoiled.

But, thanks for the offer. Very kind.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, I'm trying not to deal with that 42mm nut at all. I'm a shade tree mechanic at best. My biggest curiosity is whether the non-sector shaft solutions (like SteerSmarts/Rusty's) reduce play with the much simpler track bar only reinforcement. Truth be told, given that I have the new steering box, and only about one inch of play, I may be a dialed in as I can be already. Those damn JKs set a high bar for steering feel, and I'm spoiled.

But, thanks for the offer. Very kind.
The factory arms and linkages in the steering and suspension systems are on the weak side, so they cause a bit of a mushiness feel as they flex. I've replaced them all and my Jeep has gotten so much tighter than it ever was stock. And I'm on 4.25" of lift and 38's, which puts more force on the steering linkages than the factory 33's.

JL2021guy

First Name
JL2021guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler rubicon 3.6
Occupation
Jeep fun

Still selling it ?

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Still selling it ?
I ended up giving it to another member who drove up from Pennsylvania. In my opinion, a simpler track bar reinforcement is all that's needed on a jeep with the new cast iron steering box. If hell bent on a sector shaft brace, I'd sooner put my money on the newer Steersmarts version.

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

Thanks in advance.
I was looking in the forms for pros and cons Synergy versus steersmart systems and I found this post from you. I think I'm going to go with the Synergy set up although I'm not a big fan of Teraflex. I keep hearing the steer smart is just slightly over engineered and complex making it difficult to adjust and that the Synergy has djusters when the bushings start to wear where the steer smart doesn't. The shop that will do the install said they like both but they sway towards the synergy. Too much play in this JL versus my old JK just looking for a stiffer secure ride while on the highway. Any thoughts did you ever swap out your steering components I too under warranty got the new steering box installed not long after I purchased my Jeep and it made a huge difference until I lifted it and put on 37s then it got sloppy again and just seems to get sloppier..

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I was looking in the forms for pros and cons Synergy versus steersmart systems and I found this post from you. I think I'm going to go with the Synergy set up although I'm not a big fan of Teraflex. I keep hearing the steer smart is just slightly over engineered and complex making it difficult to adjust and that the Synergy has djusters when the bushings start to wear where the steer smart doesn't. The shop that will do the install said they like both but they sway towards the synergy. Too much play in this JL versus my old JK just looking for a stiffer secure ride while on the highway. Any thoughts did you ever swap out your steering components I too under warranty got the new steering box installed not long after I purchased my Jeep and it made a huge difference until I lifted it and put on 37s then it got sloppy again and just seems to get sloppier..
There are no bushing adjustments on the synergy brace. It's simply a bronze bushing lightly pressed into an aluminum bore. It's not even a tight enough press fit to keep the bushing from spinning in the brace, so they revised the design to include extra set screws to hold it in place.

When the bronze bushing wears, and it will, the whole brace portion needs to be replaced. That will be another visit to your mechanic. Also, most shops will push towards the companies whose products they are a dealer for, or the part they happen to be more familiar with.

What exact setup does your Jeep have, as far as control arms, track bars, and steering linkages? Have all those points been beefed up, or still stock?

Wrangler man

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUAD
Clubs

There are no bushing adjustments on the synergy brace. It's simply a bronze bushing lightly pressed into an aluminum bore. It's not even a tight enough press fit to keep the bushing from spinning in the brace, so they revised the design to include extra set screws to hold it in place.

When the bronze bushing wears, and it will, the whole brace portion needs to be replaced. That will be another visit to your mechanic. Also, most shops will push towards the companies whose products they are a dealer for, or the part they happen to be more familiar with.

What exact setup does your Jeep have, as far as control arms, track bars, and steering linkages? Have all those points been beefed up, or still stock?

It has for 3-in Metal Cloak Game Changer lift. Upgraded front drive shaft.
Steering linkage is all stock...OEM

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd sooner put the money towards a stronger tie rod and drag link. Those factory linkages are barely adequate for stock height and tire size, but aren't up to the task of 37's and a lift.
Sponsored