Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I'm tempted to use the independence day discounts to order either Clayton (1st preference), metalcloak or synergy 2.5 springs. The metalcloak's 'true' dual rates are very odd to me.. I've always used a linear spring. It seems that's how they achieve a better ride and possibly some snake oil. Thoughts?
Sponsored

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
the idea behind the dual rate coils is more for keeping the coils in the buckets at full droop rather than ride quality

under normal road driving the lower rate coil section will completely compress and do nothing other than act as coil spacers basically

but when you flex the suspension out and there is no limiters like suspension binding or what ever the coil can start to unseat causing the coil to fall out or just not go back to its proper home, this is when the lower rate coil section starts to uncompress out and try and keeps the coil in the proper position

OP
OP
Rodeoflyer

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
the idea behind the dual rate coils is more for keeping the coils in the buckets at full droop rather than ride quality

under normal road driving the lower rate coil section will completely compress and do nothing other than act as coil spacers basically

but when you flex the suspension out and there is no limiters like suspension binding or what ever the coil can start to unseat causing the coil to fall out or just not go back to its proper home, this is when the lower rate coil section starts to uncompress out and try and keeps the coil in the proper position
Yes, that's what I'm gathering from their 'true' dual rate. I was kinda hoping either synergy or clayton would chime in.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sorry just saw this! Multi-rate coils are mainly used when there is a possibility of the coil itself unseating and falling out when flexed. They do have some other added benefits like being able to handle more weight without making the entire spring stiffer due to the independent rates, but their main purpose is to keep the coil from popping out on you. So @Sheepjeep actually hit the nail right on the head, driving normally on road the lowest rate is completely compressed, and acts more like a spacer. Our JL rear coil springs are a dual-rate design, and even feature side specific rear coils to compensate for the additional weight of the gas tank!
Sponsored