plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I hate to break it to you guys, there is no good outcome from this shaft brace design, because the friction between pitman arm nut and bearing either too great because of lacking grease, so it will work the pitman arm nut loose, or it is too tight will cause screech noise. When it is too loose it won't do anything. There needs to be a better solution that can brace but also slippery enough.

Well, at least it can function as a track bar mount brace.
Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Yes and no...As far as the 'sector bearing support' there is not an alternative-and probably for good reason. As far as the trackbar support goes-yes, several including Rancho, Steer Smarts and Rusty's. I removed the Synergy brace within days (never did drive it with the 'sector bearing assembly' as it was defective out of the box) and sold it. I then installed the Rancho trackbar support and it fit perfectly, after everything was torqued to specs I could slide the trackbar bolt through both sides of the trackbar mount using just two fingers-no BFH needed. As a side note, if there is a warranty issue with the steering gearbox down the road, there will be no aftermarket 'sector shaft bearing support' to complicate things...
Did you put the factory pitman arm nut back on?

Sponsored

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Original one had too many marks on it from removal and I wanted it to look like it never happened...
That’s what I figured. Mine came off without a mark. I might leave the track bar brace section and paint it though.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
That’s what I figured. Mine came off without a mark. I might leave the track bar brace section and paint it though.

I had thought about just painting mine black as well but was fed up and wanted to move on. There is still a good market for them and it sold quickly, covered the cost of the Rancho trackbar support and the four new steering gearbox bolts I used. (Per FCA TSB on repairing / replacing OEM trackbar mount which requires removing steering gearbox bolts and in bold states to discard the bolts and use new ones when remounting steering gearbox)

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yup. I was thinking the same thing, why the hell did I not think this through before buying the hype...I plead temporary insanity due to the ChinaCoronaFlu...
CCF must be communicable via internet. I got it too.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I had thought about just painting mine black as well but was fed up and wanted to move on. There is still a good market for them and it sold quickly, covered the cost of the Rancho trackbar support and the four new steering gearbox bolts I used. (Per FCA TSB on repairing / replacing OEM trackbar mount which requires removing steering gearbox bolts and in bold states to discard the bolts and use new ones when remounting steering gearbox)
I dont think I'm going to remove it and try to sell it. Worth maybe half or less of new and a different trackbar brace is that or more. I'll just leave it . I'm not worried about dealers looking at it and wondering what they can void. They haven't seen my jeep yet and may never.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Brian0128

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2018 Toyota TRD PRO
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have the part numbers for the steering gearbox bolts?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I bought @4xFUN's brace, but I will likely cut the bottom part off, have it black powder coated and mount it simply to stiffen the frame in that area. I too have questioned how a small piece of aluminum could hold the bushing against the turning forces of the steering box. They would have been miles ahead to make it all from steel and use a roller bearing on the pitman arm.

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
T-shirt Designer
So I installed the brace/bracket about 6 months ago. A few months ago I went on a trip to the desert where I got in to some mud/water. Shortly after returning my Jeep developed a severe creak/groan, mostly while turning to the left at low speed. I immediately suspected the sector shaft brace bearing. I pulled it off and found what many of you did, that the bearing had rotated in the carrier assembly such that the grease hole/port no longer aligned with the zerk fitting.

I called and spoke to synergy tech support and they had two recommendations:

1. Drill a new hole in the bushing. I used a 1/8" drill bit for this, being careful not to damage the threads. I then used a fine micro-file to remove any burrs on the inside of the bushing.
  2. Lube it up real good before reinstalling. I used some Bel-Ray Wateproof Grease that I had for my motorcycles. (yeah, "waterproof grease" seems redundant to me too.)
In hind sight, I think the groan/creak was the bushing rotating in the carrier.

As far as drilling the bushing goes, it's going to be a problem if I/we have to do this frequently. I probably won't drill any more holes in the bushing as I think the pillow/bushing will need to be removed fairly frequently for cleaning/lubrication. Who knows, maybe having some good lubrication in there will prevent the bushing from rotating.

I think this is going to be a problematic design, especially any time water/mud is involved. I may end up trashing in the end, as some of you have, if it proves to be so.

Jeep Wrangler JL Synergy Jeep JL / JLU / JT Front Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace 20200612_140631

If you believe the marketing I think this might be a good application for the waterproof grease.

https://www.belray.com/product/waterproof-grease/

Last edited:

DCBlake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So I installed the brace/bracket about 6 months ago. A few months ago I went on a trip to the desert where I got in to some mud/water. Shortly after returning my Jeep developed a severe creak/groan, mostly while turning to the left at low speed. I immediately suspected the sector shaft brace bearing. I pulled it off and found what many of you did, that the bearing had rotated in the carrier assembly such that the grease hole/port no longer aligned with the zerk fitting.

I called and spoke to synergy tech support and they had two recommendations:

1. Drill a new hole in the bushing. I used a 1/8" drill bit for this, being careful not to damage the threads. I then used a fine micro-file to remove any burrs on the inside of the bushing.
  2. Lube it up real good before reinstalling. I used some Bel-Ray Wateproof Grease that I had for my motorcycles. (yeah, "waterproof grease" seems redundant to me too.)
In hind sight, I think the groan/creak was the bushing rotating in the carrier.

As far as drilling the bushing goes, it's going to be a problem if I/we have to do this frequently. I probably won't drill any more holes in the bushing as I think the pillow/bushing will need to be removed fairly frequently for cleaning/lubrication. Who knows, maybe having some good lubrication in there will prevent the bushing from rotating.

I think this is going to be a problematic design, especially any time water/mud is involved. I may end up trashing in the end, as some of you have, if it proves to be so.

20200612_140631.jpg

If you believe the marketing I think this might be a good application for the waterproof grease.

https://www.belray.com/product/waterproof-grease/
Well if we keep drilling holes in this thing maybe it will be like ventilated disc brakes to help dissipate the heat.... hehehe... My thoughts are like some of the others as to when this happens again it will be time to put in trash, cut off the ears, paint, and just have a track bar brace...
Sponsored

Last edited: