Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any idea what length you’re running for your adjustable drag link with a 2.5” lift? Thanks.

I’m still dealing with slop( play in wheel dead center) and excessive wandering floaty feeling steering at 40 or more mph. I have JkS track bar torqued to 120ft lbs, synergy drag link, and falcon steering stabilizer. I’m wondering if maybe my drag link is too long??
Sponsored

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Owner at River City Offroad
All that would happen if the drag link was too long is you would not be able to turn fully one direction and it would turn too far the other.

Marcus

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
All that would happen if the drag link was too long is you would not be able to turn fully one direction and it would turn too far the other.

Marcus
Thanks Marcus!! That’s great to know, I guess this slop and wander must be from the steering gearbox?

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Triple White - RK 3.5" X-Factor Stage 1 / Steer Smarts / Mickey Thompson / Fuel
Occupation
Its something in the steering box on these things. I don't know what the solution is but I've had two JLs and currently have a JL and a JT and they are both very moody in the steering department. One day they are fine and the next it feels like something is loose. Its frustrating. lol

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Its something in the steering box on these things. I don't know what the solution is but I've had two JLs and currently have a JL and a JT and they are both very moody in the steering department. One day they are fine and the next it feels like something is loose. Its frustrating. lol
I’m on my second JL as well, and that’s exactly what I’m experiencing, seems better when ambient temps are cooler too, maybe I’m crazy? I agree it’s gotta be in the steering box, hopefully an updated part will fix this issue and soon. I swear people must think I’m driving drunk. Thanks for your help!

Sponsored

River City Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.RiverCityOffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I feel the same way! I had a LE Gladiator for a few days before I bought mine and it was all over the road. I didn't even want to have a drink at dinner driving it. LOL

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have any idea what length you’re running for your adjustable drag link with a 2.5” lift? Thanks.

I’m still dealing with slop( play in wheel dead center) and excessive wandering floaty feeling steering at 40 or more mph. I have JkS track bar torqued to 120ft lbs, synergy drag link, and falcon steering stabilizer. I’m wondering if maybe my drag link is too long??
How did it handle in stock form compared to after the 2.5" lift? Have you checked caster? Did you replace lower front control arms to offset the lift? Did you replace the rear track bar to recenter the axle?

Not looking to beat you up with questions, just looking for more info for the hive to help you sort things out.

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
How did it handle in stock form compared to after the 2.5" lift? Have you checked caster? Did you replace lower front control arms to offset the lift? Did you replace the rear track bar to recenter the axle?

Not looking to beat you up with questions, just looking for more info for the hive to help you sort things out.
Thank you, actually yes I’m running adjustable LCA and UCA in front (teraflex) and caster at 6.8 and also have RK rear track bar bracket. Both front and rear axles are centered and psi is at 28. It’s gotta be the steering box, everything is beefed up except tie rod and the Jeep tracks straight but wanders and feels so loose on hwy mostly. All torques have been triple checked, and yes this all got much worse after lift of course, but still had some looseness and wander before lift just not as noticeable. I’m running 35’s ridge grapplers too. Thanks

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
Thank you, actually yes I’m running adjustable LCA and UCA in front (teraflex) and caster at 6.8 and also have RK rear track bar bracket. Both front and rear axles are centered and psi is at 28. It’s gotta be the steering box, everything is beefed up except tie rod and the Jeep tracks straight but wanders and feels so loose on hwy mostly. All torques have been triple checked, and yes this all got much worse after lift of course, but still had some looseness and wander before lift just not as noticeable. I’m running 35’s ridge grapplers too. Thanks
My steering box has issues if someone turns the wheel during slop portion of the the pitman arm does not move.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm! Have you given the factory tie rod a good inspection? I recently read about another member here having a wandering/floating issue that, if memory serves, was due to the tie rod. The factory uses a crimping method to attach the joint ends to the rod, rather than welding like just about everyone else. He found the crimp to have worked loose and after replacing the whole rod assembly, everything was right as rain.

I'm not overlooking the steering box, just trying to cover any other bases shy of it. Because the only other suggestion i have is to disconnect the drag link to isolate the steering box (maybe on the axle end to avoid possibly damaging the rubber boot with the pickle fork at the pitman arm side?) and check for play at the pitman to box shaft and in the box itself. Once play is comfirmed, a box adjustment can be made, but you'd void a warrenty replacement if it didn't get a desired result. The flip side is it might take the fca forever to get around to a big box replacement program. Third model year is popping up in the wild and they're just getting around to giving out free stabilizers and track bars to shut some people up. Now the latest kick in the jewels to keep the fca distracted from steering issues is the growing number of lsd dana 44's digesting themselves in relatively low miled sports and saharas.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm! Have you given the factory tie rod a good inspection? I recently read about another member here having a wandering/floating issue that, if memory serves, was due to the tie rod. The factory uses a crimping method to attach the joint ends to the rod, rather than welding like just about everyone else. He found the crimp to have worked loose and after replacing the whole rod assembly, everything was right as rain.

I'm not overlooking the steering box, just trying to cover any other bases shy of it. Because the only other suggestion i have is to disconnect the drag link to isolate the steering box (maybe on the axle end to avoid possibly damaging the rubber boot with the pickle fork at the pitman arm side?) and check for play at the pitman to box shaft and in the box itself. Once play is comfirmed, a box adjustment can be made, but you'd void a warrenty replacement if it didn't get a desired result. The flip side is it might take the fca forever to get around to a big box replacement program. Third model year is popping up in the wild and they're just getting around to giving out free stabilizers and track bars to shut some people up. Now the latest kick in the jewels to keep the fca distracted from steering issues is the growing number of lsd dana 44's digesting themselves in relatively low miled sports and saharas.
Hahah, I know exactly what you’re saying, being my second JL I’ve delt with so many of these issues now it’s crazy, 3 (lsd) differential replacements on prior Jeep. Lol. Thank you, yes I’ve checked tie rod but haven’t disconnected drag link, and I won’t tackle adjusting the box yet, I’d rather push a claim to get addressed first and get the new AE steering box that some have had success with. Thanks for all your suggestions, I may be replacing tie rod next but don’t expect that’s going to do much?? Thanks!

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Just as a heads up, too much caster is as bad as not enough caster. 6.8 is pretty high. Depending on the vehicle, we've had good performance between 4.5 to 5.5 degrees of caster. That may be something you want to play around with since you have adjustable control arms.

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
Just as a heads up, too much caster is as bad as not enough caster. 6.8 is pretty high. Depending on the vehicle, we've had good performance between 4.5 to 5.5 degrees of caster. That may be something you want to play around with since you have adjustable control arms.
Ok, maybe I’ll play around with that a bit and see what happens if I bring it in a degree. Thank you

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
First time i've seen someone describe it as coming and going. Just drove back from Ouray, CO to Iowa. Both the trip out and the trip back, the steering would be fine or at least normal.... and then it was super sloppy. I could only relate it to a lot of heat. Both the ambient heat and just heat in the joints from driving for several hours in the wind.

OP
OP
JMONEZ

JMONEZ

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Self employed
Vehicle Showcase
First time i've seen someone describe it as coming and going. Just drove back from Ouray, CO to Iowa. Both the trip out and the trip back, the steering would be fine or at least normal.... and then it was super sloppy. I could only relate it to a lot of heat. Both the ambient heat and just heat in the joints from driving for several hours in the wind.
I also feel at times it’s better or worse than others, I believe it seems to be related to ambient temps. Usually a bit less floaty and loose when temps are cool in my experience with both my Jl’s
Sponsored