Switching to LED Mopar OEM Lights

m.miranda2994

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
So I’m sure this is here somewhere, but I have searched thread after thread... my JL did not come with the LED lighting package, but I am trying to convert to it. I am buying LED OEM headlights and turn signal lights tomorrow. The headlights come with a wiring harness, but the turn signals do not. Do I need wiring harnesses for them to work as well? If so, where in the HECK do I purchase them?

Thank you!
Sponsored

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
The OEM LED turn signals come with a wiring harness already attached. If you buy take offs from someone, make sure the wiring harness hasn't been cut because you can't buy them separately for LED turn signals.

OP
OP
m.miranda2994

m.miranda2994

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
The OEM LED turn signals come with a wiring harness already attached. If you buy take offs from someone, make sure the wiring harness hasn't been cut because you can't buy them separately for LED turn signals.
So if I just plug them up, will they work like they should? Without flickering and blinking all crazy?

Deke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 6.7
I wish I could say yes but they will give you bulb out warning and fast blink. The JL's computer needs to be updated to know that they are LEDs, same with the headlights. The easiest way to update it is with a programmer like Tazer JL or Flashcal. I used a phone app called JScan to do it using a WiFi module plugged into the diagnostic port.
Your dealer should also be able to do it if you have Sahara or Rubicon but a programmer is the only way if you have a Sport.

OP
OP
m.miranda2994

m.miranda2994

First Name
Miranda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
I wish I could say yes but they will give you bulb out warning and fast blink. The JL's computer needs to be updated to know that they are LEDs, same with the headlights. The easiest way to update it is with a programmer like Tazer JL or Flashcal. I used a phone app called JScan to do it using a WiFi module plugged into the diagnostic port.
Your dealer should also be able to do it if you have Sahara or Rubicon but a programmer is the only way if you have a Sport.
Thank you SO much! I have been searching for this answer lol. You’re awesome!

Sponsored

Kenny

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl sports, 2015 JK Unlimited, 2013 JK @ Dr
Occupation
Village Idiot
Clubs

You’re not going to get the halo with out pulling wites

humrk311

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited / 1999 BMW R1100S / 1998 BMW M3
Thank you SO much! I have been searching for this answer lol. You’re awesome!
I upgraded my non-LED Sahara with MOPAR LED headlights, fogs and turns.. in retrospect the turns were WAY too much trouble and cost; if you haven't already installed them you may want to reconsider..

Here's why the turns aren't worth it (IMHO):
1) they are expensive @ $500
2) no sales code will cure the hyper-flashing - you'll have to drop another $370 on a Tazer (so the turns effectively cost $870)
3) they are a royal PITA to swap out...

LED headlights and fogs are definitely worth it, fairly easy install (except for wiring the halo harness at the BCM) and they don't require a Tazer to work... my dealer did the sales code flashing for $70...

Good luck either way!!

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I upgraded my non-LED Sahara with MOPAR LED headlights, fogs and turns.. in retrospect the turns were WAY too much trouble and cost; if you haven't already installed them you may want to reconsider..

2) no sales code will cure the hyper-flashing - you'll have to drop another $370 on a Tazer (so the turns effectively cost $870)

LED headlights and fogs are definitely worth it, fairly easy install (except for wiring the halo harness at the BCM) and they don't require a Tazer to work... my dealer did the sales code flashing for $70...

Good luck either way!!
Going to have to disagree on the turn Signals. New are expensive but good used ones are available in the Member Marketplace. True the dealer is no help on getting them to work but the JScan app will fix them for about $100. Oem leds are very nice and reasonably priced if you shop around.

Gregj

JL18SAHARA

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL SAHARA
Vehicle Showcase

Good luck either way!!
2018 Sahara
I got oem takeoffs for:
Headlights - $475 with wiring harness
Fog lamps - $100 cracked bracket (easy fix)
Turn signals- $120 with wiring harness.

I'll keep you posted on how it all turns out.

OC4X4

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sting Gray JLUR
Have to agree with @Gregj. He saved my butt with my LED DRL/Turn signals.
Purchased them with wired harness, shipped for $220 from @JLDIESEL.
JScan, wires, and Vgate reader-$90sh (Worth it, because I will use it again for future mods)

LEDs DRL changes the look of Jeep!

Sponsored

mcaudill

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Can anyone tell me how many lumens the MOPAR LED fog lights put out?

Brendon

First Name
Brendon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2dr Willys 2020 GMC Denali 2500 HD
Vehicle Showcase
Check out the thread "MOPAR LED FACTORY
UPGRADE KIT" on the lighting forum

zyt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Miata
I switched to Rubi Fenders with LED for about $280. My flashcal couldn't clear the hyperflash, so I put in a $20 set of low heat resistors to fix it. I think the resistor method would work without programers such as Flashcal/Tazer/Jscan

klawrence3

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I switched to Rubi Fenders with LED for about $280. My flashcal couldn't clear the hyperflash, so I put in a $20 set of low heat resistors to fix it. I think the resistor method would work without programers such as Flashcal/Tazer/Jscan

can you show or tell how you installed the resistors and where? Dealing with this issue right now.

Anonymous

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 JLUR
@m.miranda2994 Have you thought about beamtechs. Some of the forum members have had great experiences with them. Cheap on Amazon See what you think prior to dropping 1k on lights. Just offering an alternative. :like:
Sponsored