Switching from horsepower to 4x4

ForeOSU

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting Gray JLU
I'm about to venture down the path of researching and buying my first ever Jeep. I've owned a 440hp Pontiac G8 GT for the past 12 years and have loved the 180k+ miles I've driven it. But I'm really intrigued about the ability to take the top/doors off and being able to do some minor off-roading.

I'm curious how many others have made the switch from the fast-car lifestyle to the Jeep lifestyle and whether or not they've regretted any part of it.
Sponsored

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Switched from several upgraded turbo BMWs to JLUR and never regretted (yet):)
Still have my wife's X5 diesel though in case i have an urge for speed which I never did since I got a Jeep.

Sponsored

sam0329

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon
Owed modified: STi, Evo X, E92 M3, Golf R and now a JLUR LoL. Love my jeep more than anything I ever owned before. I guess your heart knows when you meet the right one ;)

Rubicon20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Had a Hellcat as well for a couple years and couple of other vehicles in between. Previous car got totaled and seriously considered going back to the Hellcat. Never had a Jeep before. When car shopping I just fell in love with the Jeep despite looking at Hellcats again and decided to go for the Jeep. For the price I paid I could have gotten the Hellcat, lol.
I donā€™t miss the Hellcat, itā€™s nice to have a vehicle that can go anywhere and throw stuff in and not be so anal about it.
Plus as I get older itā€™s not as important. I mean itā€™s dangerous as it is driving in my neck of the woods, Iā€™d hate to be in a Hellcat around here. Wonā€™t lie I do miss the speed tho.

Buckster

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 billet silver JLUR '16 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Power Generation
Vehicle Showcase
Came from a modded Audi RS5. I miss the exhaust and skinny pedal addiction but have no regrets. The NC Highway Patrol is happier that I'm in a Jeep now also.

Shepherd12

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR HellaYella m/t
Occupation
Something about cryogenics
Iā€™ve owned several fast cars over the years. 300zx twin turbo, a couple RX-8s, and an RX-7, and at times I still wish I owned a car that is capable of going fast and really hugging the curves.

But in a world full of potholes deep enough to bottom out anything that low to the ground, there is a lot more fun to be had in a Jeep. And thatā€™s just on-road. You can certainly take my Jeep places you wouldnā€™t take your GTO. Itā€™s a different kind of fun, but an absolute blast with the top and doors off.

Plus I can still drift in my JL on dirt or snowy roads...

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yeah, I sold a SS Camaro a few months ago. Since I was retiring, I figured I didn't need/want a car. Frankly, I feel most comfortable driving my crewcab fullsize truck. For short trip to the store, I find myself picking the Jeep more and more.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr Bronco Badlands, 2.3t Manual
Not here yet, but wanna be one way or another

Problem really is where can you use all that Hrsprs when 5-0 and clovers are oot and aboot to ruin all the fun?

Even if you haven't started off-roading yet, going topless/doorless alone is worth it

BSRubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Hydro Blue JT Rubicon - '17 Admiral Blue Grand Sport Corvette
Both. Keep the G8 GT. Add a Jeep. The G8 isn't going to blow you away with it's trade value and they are relatively cheap to maintain and repair. A fast car and an off-road worthy Jeep are so opposite that one cannot fully offset the desire for the other. I chose both and so should you, if finances allow.

JeepJLBase

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
No regrets. Drove a 2002 boxster s for many years and numerous Volvo 850 glt models, thatā€™s the light pressure turbo for non Volvo people. Anyhow, it was about wanting to sit higher for safety due to the abundance of horrible drivers to the area where I live. When I travel, I enjoy driving everywhere I can, it opened up many more opportunities for exploring. I donā€™t miss the great handling and performance as much as I thought. Saved me money on tickets too.
However, I predict that the g8 will be a collectible someday. I know the Volvo are not that valuable, but the boxster may gain some value. The flat 6 in that car will likely get lots of attention since 4 cylinders are now the standard in that model.
Sponsored

Last edited: