Switching from horsepower to 4x4

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Switched from several upgraded turbo BMWs to JLUR and never regretted (yet):)
Still have my wife's X5 diesel though in case i have an urge for speed which I never did since I got a Jeep.
I have a 2018 JLUR and a 2012 BMW X5d - love them both. But I would never call the X5d useful for speed. It is an amazing hi MPG cruiser at 75-80mph, but it's still a big fat SUV with gobs of torque, but low HP. My fast touring car is a V8 2010 Audi S5 - that has HP.

We all love our toys!
Sponsored

Jeeporama

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (JLU), 2005 Jeep Liberty
Vehicle Showcase
I've had fast cars, built very fast cars, but living in a city that filled with traffic and people driving Corollas that go way below the speed limit at all time, really deflates the speed hungry me.

Also, I remember having these as a kid and the penny always reminds me of the giant spare tire on my JLUR.
4a1b0545ad2fbadb9197b52379c4edcf.jpg

Although the powerwheels were the obvious ploy to make us all go out and buy Wranglers as adults, I think the penny racers were the subtle gateway drug towards Jeep ownership.
:jk::like:

Rubicon_LA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018 JLUR and a 2012 BMW X5d - love them both. But I would never call the X5d useful for speed. It is an amazing hi MPG cruiser at 75-80mph, but it's still a big fat SUV with gobs of torque, but low HP. My fast touring car is a V8 2010 Audi S5 - that has HP.

We all love our toys!
Agree, X5D is not as fast as all my heavily modded 335i were, but still has plenty of power and especially torque comparing to Jeep. Yet since I got my Rubicon I get to enjoy driving it more than bimmer.

cdahl383

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2019 Ram 1500, 2015 Challenger Scat Pack, 1972 Chevy Nova
I'm about to venture down the path of researching and buying my first ever Jeep. I've owned a 440hp Pontiac G8 GT for the past 12 years and have loved the 180k+ miles I've driven it. But I'm really intrigued about the ability to take the top/doors off and being able to do some minor off-roading.

I'm curious how many others have made the switch from the fast-car lifestyle to the Jeep lifestyle and whether or not they've regretted any part of it.
I've had several fast cars and still have a couple, but recently swapped out my Challenger R/T for a Jeep Sport S, and I have to say I really enjoy the Jeep! I don't really miss the power. I do however like not worrying about hitting the front spoiler, or avoiding potholes, the ability to see further down the road past giant trucks and stuff, sitting up higher, more room in the back for the kids, etc. I haven't even been able to take the top or doors off yet as it's too cold, but I'm sure that will be fun as well.

I think the Jeep is a fun enough vehicle to keep your interest even though there is a significant drop in power. Another pleasant surprise for me was the mpgs, I was expecting much lower, but I'm averaging about 24mpg so far in the last 500 miles (2.0L turbo engine).

clegane

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara
I sold my CBR right before buying my Jeep. I'd gotten to the point where the power had become boring to me. There's only so many times you can open the throttle coming down an entrance ramp only to let off in first or second gear because you're already 20+ mph over the speed limit before the new starts to wear off. Really enjoying the Jeep. No regrets!

Sponsored

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
After a slew of motorcycles, 300zx, rx-7, and an S197 GT (owned that one for almost 10 years), I have no regrets switching to the jeep. Off road has been more fun anyhow, and just like the sports cars and bikes, it more than just a vehicle that moves you around.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
E90 M3 to the Jeep and couldn’t be happier. We’ll probably get another fast car at some point, but I can’t see replacing the Jeep with anything other than another Jeep.

Why not both?!

received_393892404635085.jpeg

received_1227155120820360.jpeg

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'm about to venture down the path of researching and buying my first ever Jeep. I've owned a 440hp Pontiac G8 GT for the past 12 years and have loved the 180k+ miles I've driven it. But I'm really intrigued about the ability to take the top/doors off and being able to do some minor off-roading.

I'm curious how many others have made the switch from the fast-car lifestyle to the Jeep lifestyle and whether or not they've regretted any part of it.
It’s been almost a year since I traded my 2015 SRT 392 in. Beautiful GCM color, red alcantara interior, red seat belts, ACC, power, 28-29 mpg in eco mode when I wanted economy...a really great touring car for a couple of people with good room for luggage. No QC or warranty issues. Did I say it looked great?!

I needed to get rid of a car and go down to two and the remaining had to be more sports and family oriented. I traded for a 4dr sports sedan, Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport. Great little sporty car. Great for trips, good power, great gas mileage but not a lot better than the heavy 392 Challenger.

Then to downsize another step, we went from an Expedition EL 4x4 to the Sahara. I do miss some room, but the Jeep is more fun and owning it has pushed us to push IT. Like taking trips down roads, trails we would not have normally taken. The Sahara is more maneuverable and better range too. Now I want another, a Rubicon as a second Wrangler. I think if the means comes along, I’ll get another new Challenger though.

sacourtney07

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I'd rather have a fast car and a crap-box 4x4 to take out as a toy. I'd much rather have a fast car for my daily commute, but I love having the Jeep for the weekends to get away. I hate driving the Jeep an hour every day to work.

BUTTTT.... if you only need to go fast every once in a while, Hertz will rent you a Mustang GT or Camaro SS for about $50 per day. No needing to deal with cost of ownership, and you can absolutely beat the crap out of it without worrying. I do that every couple of months and go tear up the canyon roads around Joshua Tree.

Bob K

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL - Ocean Blue - ; 2002 Ford f350
I have to have both. I've almost always had a fast car and a 4x4 since my early 20's. I'm almost 60 now. If you can swing it, keep both. I have a '18 fully loaded Sahara, a 1987 Grand National and a 2008 Shelby, plus my beaters. You will miss having a fast car. I know I would.
20190907_143816.jpg
20180619_105912.jpg
20190907_143816.jpg
20180619_105912.jpg

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I have to have both. I've almost always had a fast car and a 4x4 since my early 20's. I'm almost 60 now. If you can swing it, keep both. I have a '18 fully loaded Sahara, a 1987 Grand National and a 2008 Shelby, plus my beaters. You will miss having a fast car. I know I would.
20190907_143816.jpg
20180619_105912.jpg
20190907_143816.jpg
20180619_105912.jpg
Oooo. A GN. I had one for 6 months, bought from the original owner with 21k on it back in 99. A lady hit me, knocking me off the road and it was totaled. :(

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....

ZL1 Camaro Convertible was last sports car after a string of them going back to 2001. None now. No regrets.

Bortmas

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
I made the switch from a 2018 mustang GT premium with Performance pack and some bolt ons to the 19 JLUR I do miss the 0-100 I I I mean 0- speed limit acceleration and ability to take it into corners quite a bit quicker than I could in the Jeep. But I am loving my Jeep, sky one touch is great and off roading is a blast and it’s way more family friendly. So you may have some regrets or miss some of the features of a muscle or sports car. Just an honest opinion.
Sponsored