Switching From Factory Softop To Hardtop

Tom631

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL unlimited
Bought my 2019 JLU with a factory softop, currently changing over to a hardtop. Do I need brackets on each side of the front top airbag and brackets at the back by the light bar to connect the freedom panels?
Sponsored

The Fixer

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JLS, 2018 Firecracker JLUSS
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Teacher
I believe so - my wife's JLU has brackets there. Hers was equipped with the dual-top group from the factory.

Are you wiring in the defroster and wiper as well?

OP
OP

Tom631

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I decided to have the dealer do it earlier this summer.

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Bought my 2019 JLU with a factory softop, currently changing over to a hardtop. Do I need brackets on each side of the front top airbag and brackets at the back by the light bar to connect the freedom panels?
Hey Tom. I like to break the process of going from soft to hard top for owners who have rigs that weren't part of a Dual Top build (i.e. usually don't have the hardware for the hard top) into two parts.

The first is hardware that physically attaches the hard top. The second is what I'll call the more optional part regarding changes to the windshield washer stem on the steering wheel to operate the back wiper and wash, as well as enabling the rear defroster and front panel switch, including the cabling that needs to run from from to back of the rig to effect these 3 secondary and somewhat optional things.

This link may not be current in information but still useful.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ant-to-purchase-a-hard-top.12404/#post-301336

OP
OP

Tom631

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Tom. I like to break the process of going from soft to hard top for owners who have rigs that weren't part of a Dual Top build (i.e. usually don't have the hardware for the hard top) into two parts.

The first is hardware that physically attaches the hard top. The second is what I'll call the more optional part regarding changes to the windshield washer stem on the steering wheel to operate the back wiper and wash, as well as enabling the rear defroster and front panel switch, including the cabling that needs to run from from to back of the rig to effect these 3 secondary and somewhat optional things.

This link may not be current in information but still useful.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ant-to-purchase-a-hard-top.12404/#post-301336
Thanks for the reply. It cost me $715.00 parts and labor at the dealership. to have installed. Didn't realize I need the brackets. Being a new vehicle I didn't want to deal with the steering column, wiring, computer etc.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks for the reply. It cost me $715.00 parts and labor at the dealership. to have installed. Didn't realize I need the brackets. Being a new vehicle I didn't want to deal with the steering column, wiring, computer etc.
I would have done the same thing in your shoes. Still more, projects I wish effected on my rig that I'm sort of on the fence about doing myself or taking to the dealer always sway more to the dealer during colder months of the year. :)

OP
OP

Tom631

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would have done the same thing in your shoes. Still more, projects I wish effected on my rig that I'm sort of on the fence about doing myself or taking to the dealer always sway more to the dealer during colder months of the year. :)
Didn't want to deal with the steering column and air bag and dash wiring on a new vehicle and the warranty.
Sponsored