Sponsored

Switch banks for the JL, What and where

Muddog17

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only the JL 2 door Sport S - what more do I need!
Occupation
Self emplyed
Vehicle Showcase
Hello all,

I am in the process of finally adding front and rear bars as well as a winch and some driving lights. Looking at spread light bar (if such a thing) and 2 spot lights all on the front bar. I might even go for A Pillar lights to use as ditch lights. Reverse lights in the rear bar as well.

My question is what does everyone like for controlling the lights. An A pillar switch bank, separate switches or something like an Spod or ARB Linx?

Thanks for the f
Sponsored

kieseki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Overland
I have the SPOD Bantam with the touchscreen and quite like it.

Pros:
  • 8 switches
  • Switches 1 and 2 can be configured to only turn on only when there is another positive signal; ideal for locking auxiliary driving lights to your factory high beams to meet Australian laws
  • Dimmer feature that works really well with LED lights (I have Bushranger lights)
  • There is a built in amp meter, so you can see the current of each activated accessory.
  • Very clean install both in terms of the unit under the bonnet and the screen on the A pillar.
Cons:
  • The screen interface is a bit underwhelming… I guess it doesn’t need to be needlessly fancy, it’s just a set of switches after all. But it really looks like a Super Nintendo game menu screen.
  • The Bluetooth connection procedure is overly complicated. To synch with your phone, you need to open the bonnet, open the module cover, use a small screwdriver to flick a dip switch on and off, jump on your phone, hit cancel the first time to you try to connect and wait for a number code to appear, memorise that code, try to connect again and enter the code this time…etc.
  • It is a bit pricey; it was just under $2k when I got it a couple of years ago.
  • Unlike the Jeep factory switches that have wiring in the footwell, every time you hook up a new accessory inside the vehicle, you gotta go through the firewall.
None of the cons are dealbreakers for me though, it’s been a really good device to have and I use it all the time.

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Hello all,

I am in the process of finally adding front and rear bars as well as a winch and some driving lights. Looking at spread light bar (if such a thing) and 2 spot lights all on the front bar. I might even go for A Pillar lights to use as ditch lights. Reverse lights in the rear bar as well.

My question is what does everyone like for controlling the lights. An A pillar switch bank, separate switches or something like an Spod or ARB Linx?

Thanks for the f
Hey @Muddog17, Baja Designs offers a wide variety of aux lighting options for most jeeps. We recently just acquired sPOD which is a canbus switch module system that allows you to have either a 6-plug power bank (SourceLT) or an 8-plug power bank(BantamX). Both options will run one cable into your cab and have the option between different button controllers. The nice thing about sPOD vs the competitors is the full canbus system that is built into the unit with a 100amp max. This allows for no needed switch fuse banks outside of the unit. Both systems will offer a Bluetooth app that can be downloaded to any smartphone allowing you to have full customization on the unit. Feel free to check out my previous thread reguarding these units as well as Baja Designs for you lighting needs.
Best,
Brandon
sPOD Thread Link:

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine
Hey @Muddog17, Baja Designs offers a wide variety of aux lighting options for most jeeps. We recently just acquired sPOD which is a canbus switch module system that allows you to have either a 6-plug power bank (SourceLT) or an 8-plug power bank(BantamX). Both options will run one cable into your cab and have the option between different button controllers. The nice thing about sPOD vs the competitors is the full canbus system that is built into the unit with a 100amp max. This allows for no needed switch fuse banks outside of the unit. Both systems will offer a Bluetooth app that can be downloaded to any smartphone allowing you to have full customization on the unit. Feel free to check out my previous thread reguarding these units as well as Baja Designs for you lighting needs.
Best,
Brandon
sPOD Thread Link:
Brandon - does BD have a forum discount code? I’m going to pickup an sPOD and get rid of what I’m currently using.
Thanks!

Sponsored

BajaDesigns

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Non-Applicable
Brandon - does BD have a forum discount code? I’m going to pickup an sPOD and get rid of what I’m currently using.
Thanks!
Unfortunately, we don't have the discount code due to our MAP Policy, but reach out to me directly and I will can take care of you.
Best,
Brandon
Email: [email protected]

Last edited:

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine

SHEP_DownUnder

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Unlimited Overland - Sky One Roof
Went with LasFit's OEM knock off.

Jeep Wrangler JL Switch banks for the JL, What and where IMG-1555.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Switch banks for the JL, What and where IMG-1555.JPG
This looks great! I checked out their site and think ill go down this path too.

I liked the CB Radio RJ45 port ( optional tray) too...

without sounding too novice... the four AUX cables I assume are on one of the units you install in the engine bay and then run your lights etc to that box and wire them? just checking my understanding!

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
This looks great! I checked out their site and think ill go down this path too.

I liked the CB Radio RJ45 port ( optional tray) too...

without sounding too novice... the four AUX cables I assume are on one of the units you install in the engine bay and then run your lights etc to that box and wire them? just checking my understanding!
There is a fuse/relay box that is installed in engine compartment near battery. This box wires to battery and grounds to Jeep body. Box then has a wiring harness with 4 engine bay power leads (marked 1-4) for accessories that sit beside the battery. Harness then runs to drivers side of engine bay and through drivers firewall opening. This group of wires include the 4 interior power leads (marked 1-4) for accessories. and the connection that runs to and connects to the switch pod in dash. Positive accessory wires are connected to one of the harnesses power leads (1-4) and the ground wire to any grounding screw available, very simple. Although there are 4 power leads in engine bay and interior you cannot duplicate their use to run accessories. In other words if you connect fogs to engine bay power lead 1 you cannot connect an accessory to interior power lead 1. Hope this helps. I'm enjoying this set up.

SHEP_DownUnder

First Name
Damian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Wrangler Unlimited Overland - Sky One Roof
There is a fuse/relay box that is installed in engine compartment near battery. This box wires to battery and grounds to Jeep body. Box then has a wiring harness with 4 engine bay power leads (marked 1-4) for accessories that sit beside the battery. Harness then runs to drivers side of engine bay and through drivers firewall opening. This group of wires include the 4 interior power leads (marked 1-4) for accessories. and the connection that runs to and connects to the switch pod in dash. Positive accessory wires are connected to one of the harnesses power leads (1-4) and the ground wire to any grounding screw available, very simple. Although there are 4 power leads in engine bay and interior you cannot duplicate their use to run accessories. In other words if you connect fogs to engine bay power lead 1 you cannot connect an accessory to interior power lead 1. Hope this helps. I'm enjoying this set up.
Thank you that makes sense. Appreciate the clarification
Sponsored