Sway link help

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I was just looking over some of the work the shop had completed last week on my Jeep, they installed the Clayton Off-road 2.5” lift kit. I’m just going through and checking to see if anything has gotten loose, it’s only been 100-150 or so miles since I got it back.
I noticed the driver side sway link has a lot of play in it and I can’t figure out how to tighten it. Any help is appreciated.

9EAC3947-4739-4E6E-B4FD-25C438EF19D2.jpeg
Sponsored

moonlit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
The end has a hex in it. Put your wrench on then the hex wrench and tighten away. Mine came loos too and had to you some locktite blue on it.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The end has a hex in it. Put your wrench on then the hex wrench and tighten away. Mine came loos too and had to you some locktite blue on it.
Thanks I probably never would’ve figured that out

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow this thing sucks

Sponsored

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Think I stripped out the 6mm hex head 🤦🏻

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
I have the same kit and mine has come loose as well. Twice.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have the same kit and mine has come loose as well. Twice.
Are all sway links this difficult to tighten? I feel like a crazy person trying to get this to work lol

moonlit

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
They are tough. I used vise grips on the end of the allen/hex wrench to get leverage and a ratcheting box end wrench to tighten the nut. But I was able to get it tight and so far with a little locktite, it is holding fine.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I reached out to Clayton hopefully I can replace just that one end. I think the hex head is a little stripped, I stopped before I ruined it completely. Although I might have already ruined it, idk =/

Anyone have any other Sway links they recommend in case I have to go that route

Sponsored

Sydwaiz

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 73 CJ-5
Are all sway links this difficult to tighten? I feel like a crazy person trying to get this to work lol
I was able to tighten mine last time without having to use the 6mm. I need to get back under there and loctite it. I'll probably add a lock washer as well.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was able to tighten mine last time without having to use the 6mm. I need to get back under there and loctite it. I'll probably add a lock washer as well.

It just keeps spinning if I don't try to use the 6mm.
Looking at new sway links, not really sure I like the design on these.

Looking at the Eibach ones I like that they have a washer that looks like it has an insert that fits into the sway bar to prevent slop, even if it was loose

https://www.extremeterrain.com/eiba...s-for-2-to-4-inch-lift-ak41-51-023-01-20.html

https://www.extremeterrain.com/eiba...s-for-2-to-4-inch-lift-ak41-51-023-01-02.html

I want something that isn't a nightmare to work on, especially since I am such a noob to this stuff

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
I was just looking over some of the work the shop had completed last week on my Jeep, they installed the Clayton Off-road 2.5” lift kit. I’m just going through and checking to see if anything has gotten loose, it’s only been 100-150 or so miles since I got it back.
I noticed the driver side sway link has a lot of play in it and I can’t figure out how to tighten it. Any help is appreciated.

Jeep Wrangler JL Sway link help 9EAC3947-4739-4E6E-B4FD-25C438EF19D2
You are just using the hex to hold it and tightening the nut, right?

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I’m not sure if the stock nuts are deformed to hold, or the wrong thread, but if you reused them, if may be worth getting a new set of nuts.
When I put the mopar links on, I could not get them to fully seat and I broke out an impact to drive the hex. A set of the correct flange nuts from lowes spun right on.

OP
OP
NyRey87

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are just using the hex to hold it and tightening the nut, right?
I have my wife using a steel bar to decompress the sway bar so the sway link bolt is level in the sway bar hole, then I am using a 6mm allen wrench on the inside of the nut and tightening the 18mm hex head, but it never seemed to get tight even tho I was able to turn it a little successfully. But now the "threads" on the inside of the nut for the allen are slipping and I cannot get the hex head to tighten anymore and it is still loose and has slop in the sway bar hole. I don't feel the bolt is the right diameter for the sway link hole it seems to be to small. Either that or in one day of it being loose it wore down the bolt that much. Idk I am really not a fan of this design.
Sponsored