Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
VP Information Technology
So this weekend I did some light wheeling, and for the second time, my Rubicon's Electronic Sway bar will not reconnect. I dropped it off at the dealer this morning to have it repaired / replaced; however, even if they replace it, my plan is to replace it with a regular sway bar and use JKS quick disconnects. I'm done w/ the fancy electronic sway bar. If I ever decide to sell it (doubtful), I can always just bolt it back up before I do. My question is, can the jeep be reprogrammed so I don't have a flashing yellow light for the sway bar when I remove it from the jeep?
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The swaybar e-disconnect is the only thing I miss about a Rubicon.

From what I recall on my JK Rubicons, the swaybar needs to be relatively flat for it to reconnect. I.e., you need to find a relatively level ground. Some times it took several attempts and minutes to reconnect; other times it reconnected right away.

Are you getting a blinking light when you try to reconnect the swaybar?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

My question is, can the jeep be reprogrammed so I don't have a flashing yellow light for the sway bar when I remove it from the jeep?
The Tazer can.

– Disable Electronic Sway Bar (if removed from vehicle)

I haven't used JSCAN in a while, but I'm pretty sure it can be used to disable the electronic sway bar as well.

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The swaybar e-disconnect is the only thing I miss about a Rubicon.

From what I recall on my JK Rubicons, the swaybar needs to be relatively flat for it to reconnect. I.e., you need to find a relatively level ground. Some times it took several attempts and minutes to reconnect; other times it reconnected right away.

Are you getting a blinking light when you try to reconnect the swaybar?
Yes. I’ve made absolutely sure that it’s flat level etc. yesterday I had to drive home disconnected (a little over an hour on the highway. This morning it was still disconnected and at the dealer. As for the blinking light. Yes it says it tries to reconnect but never does.

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The Tazer can.

– Disable Electronic Sway Bar (if removed from vehicle)

I haven't used JSCAN in a while, but I'm pretty sure it can be used to disable the electronic sway bar as well.
Perfect. I’ll be buying one or seeing if I can get help from someone who has it. Thanks!

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Perfect. I’ll be buying one or seeing if I can get help from someone who has it. Thanks!
If you get it fixed and you get the tazer you might want to keep it. With the Tazer you can do what’s called swaykill. It lets you re-map the sway button to one of the cruise control buttons on your steering wheel. I have mine on the resume button. What this does is lets you disconnect in 2 wd, 4 hi and 4 lo, and you can drive as fast as you want without it reconnecting on you. It stays disconnected no matter what until you push the resume button again. When cruise control is on the resume button works as normal.

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
If you get it fixed and you get the tazer you might want to keep it. With the Tazer you can do what’s called swaykill. It lets you re-map the sway button to one of the cruise control buttons on your steering wheel. I have mine on the resume button. What this does is lets you disconnect in 2 wd, 4 hi and 4 lo, and you can drive as fast as you want without it reconnecting on you. It stays disconnected no matter what until you push the resume button again. When cruise control is on the resume button works as normal.
That honestly sounds pretty cool, but I actually can't understand the reason for an electronic sway bar disconnect. On my previous jeep, I ran Teraflex quick disconnects for years. It never caused me any issues, and it only took a whopping 2 min to disconnect or reconnect. The electronic option isn't really even saving me all that much effort. If it were a matter of turning wrenches and having to remove bolts and such, then that would be a different case, but honestly just pulling two pins and pinning the sway bar disconnects up out of the way is a simple, full-proof solution that will require no special tools, and won't leave me stuck driving in an unsafe condition as I drive home from wherever I'm wheeling.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
That honestly sounds pretty cool, but I actually can't understand the reason for an electronic sway bar disconnect. On my previous jeep, I ran Teraflex quick disconnects for years. It never caused me any issues, and it only took a whopping 2 min to disconnect or reconnect. The electronic option isn't really even saving me all that much effort. If it were a matter of turning wrenches and having to remove bolts and such, then that would be a different case, but honestly just pulling two pins and pinning the sway bar disconnects up out of the way is a simple, full-proof solution that will require no special tools, and won't leave me stuck driving in an unsafe condition as I drive home from wherever I'm wheeling.
I was pretty happy yesterday at the off road park, just press the button from the comfort of the cabin and disconnect and reconnect. Not having to deal with muddy undercarriages from wheeling was nice.

I do understand the manual disconnects as well. Most disconnect when they hit the trails and connect when done. The option to run disconnected in 2 wheel drive would be nice on the Rubicons.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, that’s how we all rolled back in the day, but for me, with the no limits sway links, it’s the same as being unhooked, no restriction. None the less, give it a shot, you can always move forward with your plan, not gonna hurt to try it.....✌

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I was pretty happy yesterday at the off road park, just press the button from the comfort of the cabin and disconnect and reconnect. Not having to deal with muddy undercarriages from wheeling was nice.

I do understand the manual disconnects as well. Most disconnect when they hit the trails and connect when done. The option to run disconnected in 2 wheel drive would be nice on the Rubicons.
Yeah, that’s the best part to be disconnected in 2wd, it makes for a much smoother ride to when you need 4wd.

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
The reality is that even with the factory disconnect, you’re still limiting travel unless you have something like the RK no-limits links. Until I got those I still manually disconnected my rubicon at the trail head because I wanted maximum articulation.

OP
OP
llaslo

llaslo

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
mine reconnects automatically when i shift from 4L to 4H

if yours is not something is fubar'ed

HeidiHoForTheHills

First Name
Heidi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Hello,

This weekend after some adventures at Hollister, my sway bar would not reconnect. I was on flat ground and tried many different things. I decided to drive home with the flashing indicator and then look for any possible resolutions online. I encountered several posts where people were having difficulty with the push button sway bar reconnecting. One person mentioned rocking their Jeep a little as the sway bars need to line up perfectly within the motor. I gave my Jeep a shake/rock (slightly hard one) on the passenger side and checked - still had the issue. I drove my vehicle forward a foot and then shook/rock the Jeep on the drivers' side and rechecked - the sway bar reconnected! Until then I was receiving error messages, the flashing indicator, etc. I think the electronic sway bar disconnect and reconnect is pretty awesome but it does have its quirks. I would rather have the quirks than getting under there after a day on the trail! Hope this post helps!
Sponsored