Sponsored

Sway bar links loose nuts

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
While recently working on my Jeep I noticed one of my sway bar links top nuts was completely gone, upon further inspection I noticed the other top link nut was hand tight and was able to removed by hand. So I removed them and noticed the threads were completely destroyed from what must have been significant miles without being tight. Has anyone else checked theirs?

Luckily I was with a famous Jeeper who happened to have an extra set and I was able to swap them out.

Since this swap and proper tightening my steering is 98% and I no longer have any wander. As some may know I have been chasing this and have replaced most steering parts with aftermarket in hopes of removing the 2-3” of slop I had.

Anyways please check your links to make sure they are properly tightened.
Sponsored

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
While recently working on my Jeep I noticed one of my sway bar links top nuts was completely gone, upon further inspection I noticed the other top link nut was hand tight and was able to removed by hand. So I removed them and noticed the threads were completely destroyed from what must have been significant miles without being tight. Has anyone else checked theirs?

Luckily I was with a famous Jeeper who happened to have an extra set and I was able to swap them out.

Since this swap and proper tightening my steering is 98% and I no longer have any wander. As some may know I have been chasing this and have replaced most steering parts with aftermarket in hopes of removing the 2-3” of slop I had.

For the torque specs, are the sway bar links the same as the stabilizer bar in this chart?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...rangler-jl-steering-related-components.18510/

OP
OP
Rploaded

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
So once the sway bar was tightened, not only was wandering eliminated but also your 2-3” of steering wheel play?

OP
OP
Rploaded

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
So once the sway bar was tightened, not only was wandering eliminated but also your 2-3” of steering wheel play?
I had eliminated much of it with aftermarket parts and tire pressure. But this made a noticeable difference in my highway driving experience where I had some remaining wandering.

Sponsored

JL Jagster 2018

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL

After finishing Broken Arrow trail yesterday near Sedona, AZ I discovered the exact same thing. The passenger side nut was not only missing but the link was disengaged from the sway bar. Checking the driver's side I noticed the nut was loose enough that I could turn it by hand. I have ordered 2 new links one to replace the passenger side which looks a bit bent (and the top bolt is stripped) and one will be a spare just in case it happens again. Time to take it in for a full suspension inspection.

OP
OP
Rploaded

Rploaded

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
After finishing Broken Arrow trail yesterday near Sedona, AZ I discovered the exact same thing. The passenger side nut was not only missing but the link was disengaged from the sway bar. Checking the driver's side I noticed the nut was loose enough that I could turn it by hand. I have ordered 2 new links one to replace the passenger side which looks a bit bent (and the top bolt is stripped) and one will be a spare just in case it happens again. Time to take it in for a full suspension inspection.
Smart move replacing them and glad you caught it. I would take them both completely out and make sure neither have damage. Mine looked fine but once I took it out it was major FUBAR.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Loose fuses and relays, finger tight ball joint nuts, loose track bar bolts, loose drag link bolts, loose LCA bolts, loose cable causing weird speaker noises, and now loose sway bars. WTF is going on at the factory? Oh, maybe this ----> https://www.torquenews.com/106/chry...kers-caught-drinking-smoking-pot-during-lunch
Sponsored