Sway bar disconnect yes/no sport

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
Rock krawler Swaybar disconnect I have an opportunity to get a pair for my JLU sport. It’s $100 the guy bought it didn’t use it! curious to know if you would recommend having it if I do moderate off-road I don’t expect to rock climb but moderate over-landing as well. Thanks
Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
The ride off road is much smoother in my opinion. The suspension is free to absorb ruts and rocks rather than transferring them to the opposite side of the axle as much.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Articulation isn't just a benefit to rock crawling. It's just as appreciated in the ever deepening ruts on a dirt fire road. Also, it's always better to have and not need than vice versa. My vote goes towards snatching them up.

OP
OP
HellaJL2817

HellaJL2817

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
I should be ok to use them with the rubi suspension I have correct. It says it’s for 2.5-4” lifts?

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Matt,

I have the Teraflex Quick Disconnect kit installed on my 2019 Sport S 2 door. I went with the Teraflex over the Rock Crawlers just in order to not deal with straps or tie wraps. The Teraflex links swing completely up and out of the way and connect to parking studs included in their kit. Nothing additionally required to lock them down out of the way.

However both of these quick disconnect kits completely remove the entire suspension from the sway bar unlike other kits (such as the electronic controlled variants that are on the stock Rubicon's), which only partially disconnect and thus limit full articulation. These devices after all must also reconnect automatically, eventually giving their drivers fingertip callouses.

Ignoring this convenience however, the totally disconnected sway bar links are so much more better no matter what the off-road terrain happens to be. Keeping the wheels on the ground with all the added articulation possible, especially on axles with open diffs makes any difficult to severe obstacle now so much more doable.

This is by far the very best, yet least expensive modification to my JL to date. Noting that I have also invested in the Mopar 2.5" (nearly 3") lift along with 35" tires. With this setup I've now gone places here in my home state of Colorado where typically only Rubi's tend to venture. I get lot's of compliments when other Jeepers notice that a Sport is in their midst on the most difficult high mountain passes.

Being able to totally disconnect the sway bar links has tremendously improved my off-road capability. There is now not many obstacles I won't be spooked in attempting. However, without lockers I'm not too insane about doing the really extreme crap either. The Rubi's can claim their boulder bouncing nonsense all they want. My desire is to see and experience my state's most remote and picturesque locales, not necessarily leave scrape or skid marks on the largest rocks along the way.

Regardless, you won't regret the added capability this $100 investment will provide you. For me there is no going back. I'll never again off-road anywhere without them.

Jay

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not sure where you heard that the Rubi electronic disconnect doesn’t fully disconnect but that’s not true. I wondered about this myself, so I did a little comparison. In these two pictures you’ll see that one is disconnected and one is connected. You can see that there’s maybe a 1/4” difference which in no way hinders articulation, you’d never know the difference.

Roky,

Thanks for the feedback. I perhaps indeed may have this wrong. In theory though, the electronic disconnect must somehow reconnect the sway bar eventually and in order to do this it can't completely disconnect entirely.

It was my belief that this limit is much more significant than a 1/4 inch.

But from your two pictures my understanding of all this has now changed. The sway bar itself must be mechanically disconnected somewhere along the length of the bar rather than at the links. This would make better sense. The electrical disconnect must allow the two sides to rotate independently then lock them back together on reconnection.

However, these pictures are now confusing me even more. When the sway bar is connected (on both sides), there should not be that much articulation. Otherwise, what is preventing the vehicle from rolling over at on-road speeds?

Before I invested in the sway bar disconnect kit, if I were to drive up on a similar ramp, my vehicle would lean toward the ground and would never have that amount of articulation. So something still isn't adding up.

[Edit]
Regardless, your pictures really highlight the benefit of additional articulation while off-road. Unfortunately it is now also scaring the bejesus out of me if this can still happen when both sides of the suspension can articulate the same amount when the sway bar is connected especially at on-road speeds.

Jay

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
I installed JKS quick discos on my sport with rubi suspension. It is a world of a difference driving with the sway bar disconnected. Safer, better traction, and way more comfortable. I was under the impression the rock crawler ones are too long for rubi height, just compare the length with the ones you have installed now. I went with JKS because they can be adjusted to the same length of oem links. People do run longer links and say it is ok though. Take full advantage of the straight axle!

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Roky,

Thanks for the feedback. I perhaps indeed may have this wrong. In theory though, the electronic disconnect must somehow reconnect the sway bar eventually and in order to do this it can't completely disconnect entirely.

It was my belief that this limit is much more significant than a 1/4 inch.

But from your two pictures my understanding of all this has now changed. The sway bar itself must be mechanically disconnected somewhere along the length of the bar rather than at the links. This would make better sense. The electrical disconnect must allow the two sides to rotate independently then lock them back together on reconnection.

However, these pictures are now confusing me even more. When the sway bar is connected (on both sides), there should not be that much articulation. Otherwise, what is preventing the vehicle from rolling over at on-road speeds?

Before I invested in the sway bar disconnect kit, if I were to drive up on a similar ramp, my vehicle would lean toward the ground and would never have that amount of articulation. So something still isn't adding up.

[Edit]
Regardless, your pictures really highlight the benefit of additional articulation while off-road. Unfortunately it is now also scaring the bejesus out of me if this can still happen when both sides of the suspension can articulate the same amount when the sway bar is connected especially at on-road speeds.

Jay
Whoa, you killed Roky's post, it just disappeared...I believe in the photos he was showing the difference with the electric sway bar disconnected and the actual links being physically disconnected.

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Roky,

Very sorry about what happened to your pictures. I did not do anything intentional. Can you please repost your pics.

Jay

WhitneyWillys

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Willys
Let me piggyback on this thread and ask my question (which I posted on a separate thread as well). I am fully sold on disconnecting. But I am still stock. So I would need links that are stock length I suppose. Do any of you know from experience if any of these kits can be adjusted to stock length end links.

I am also exploring if there are ways of using the stock links with pins instead of the stock bolts. Any thoughts on this?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Roky,

Very sorry about what happened to your pictures. I did not do anything intentional. Can you please repost your pics.

Jay
No worries, I took down my post because I realized that since I’m using rk no limits links that the normal links results may vary. So wasn’t apples to apples comparison. However I do believe that even with regular links it would still be close to the same result. Here’s pics....

Jeep Wrangler JL Sway bar disconnect yes/no sport 1E0626CB-BE3A-4CAE-A622-F68FF922138F
Jeep Wrangler JL Sway bar disconnect yes/no sport 42E339B5-127E-4F39-ADEA-7ABFAB33392A
Sponsored