First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Moab, ‘22 HighTide, ‘59 Chevy Apache, ‘32 Ford
Occupation
Custom painter/freelance artist
So I’ve been slowly working at dressing up my Sahara, and really like the look of the higher clearance Rubicon front flares.
Have a few questions.
First-
Is this a simple unbolt/bolt procedure (other than obviously reconnecting turn signals), or are there additional different mounting brackets and other parts that I’ll need as well?
Second-
It’s my understanding that Rubicon’s had both halogen and LED front turn signals. My Sahara has halogen. If I find a pair with halogen, my assumption would be that it would just be “plug and play”, but if I find a pair with LEDs, that raises another subset of questions.
- Can I just plug and play the front LEDs like you can with the rear taillights?
- Do I have to install a resistor?
- Can I bring them to the dealer and get the Jeep “flashed” to accept the new front LED turn signals?
- Can I replace the LEDs (from the new flares) with my existing halogens (are the housings the same size?
Appreciate any help, and although I did some searching, I couldn’t find a thread that addressed my question(s).if one exists, I’d appreciate someone pointing me toward it and apologize for this duplicate question.
Sponsored

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
So I’ve been slowly working at dressing up my Sahara, and really like the look of the higher clearance Rubicon front flares.
Have a few questions.
First-
Is this a simple unbolt/bolt procedure (other than obviously reconnecting turn signals), or are there additional different mounting brackets and other parts that I’ll need as well?
Second-
It’s my understanding that Rubicon’s had both halogen and LED front turn signals. My Sahara has halogen. If I find a pair with halogen, my assumption would be that it would just be “plug and play”, but if I find a pair with LEDs, that raises another subset of questions.
- Can I just plug and play the front LEDs like you can with the rear taillights?
- Do I have to install a resistor?
- Can I bring them to the dealer and get the Jeep “flashed” to accept the new front LED turn signals?
- Can I replace the LEDs (from the new flares) with my existing halogens (are the housings the same size?
Appreciate any help, and although I did some searching, I couldn’t find a thread that addressed my question(s).if one exists, I’d appreciate someone pointing me toward it and apologize for this duplicate question.
Good luck finding one that is painted to match your color though.

To answer the rest of your questions.

1) Yes they are plug and play.
2) No you don't have to install a resistor.
3) Yes, but you can also flash it yourself with a tazer or flashcal
4) Yes you can, the housing is the same size.

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good luck finding one that is painted to match your color though.

To answer the rest of your questions.

1) Yes they are plug and play.
2) No you don't have to install a resistor.
3) Yes, but you can also flash it yourself with a tazer or flashcal
4) Yes you can, the housing is the same size.
Awesome...thanks for the quick reply...fortunately, a friend of mine owns a body shop, so if I can’t find them the same color, I can always prep them myself and then have one of his painters spray them for me at cost.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, nothing with FCA is that simple.

Yes, the DRLs are plug and play, provided you have the wiring harness that runs inside the fender that is for the LEDs.

Yes, the LED headlights are plug and play, but the halos are not. When you buy the Mopar LEDs, it comes with a separate wiring harness for the halos. You will need to lay the wiring from the headlamps, under the auxiliary battery and through the firewall to a box in the passenger-side footwell. Since you plan to replace the fenders, it may be the perfect time to lay this wiring harness as well.

BTW, Rubicons come standard with what is called the high fenders. It used to be offered as a Mopar accessory on all JKs; it is now standard on Rubicons. Which means, you can still buy the high fenders as a Mopar accessory for JL. They all come unpainted, though.

Good luck.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Actually, nothing with FCA is that simple.

Yes, the DRLs are plug and play, provided you have the wiring harness that runs inside the fender that is for the LEDs.

Yes, the LED headlights are plug and play, but the halos are not. When you buy the Mopar LEDs, it comes with a separate wiring harness for the halos. You will need to lay the wiring from the headlamps, under the auxiliary battery and through the firewall to a box in the passenger-side footwell. Since you plan to replace the fenders, it may be the perfect time to lay this wiring harness as well.

BTW, Rubicons come standard with what is called the high fenders. It used to be offered as a Mopar accessory on all JKs; it is now standard on Rubicons. Which means, you can still buy the high fenders as a Mopar accessory for JL. They all come unpainted, though.

Good luck.
He wasn't asking for the headlights though.

Fender lights.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
He wasn't asking for the headlights though.

Fender lights.
Oh, I saw FRONT LEDs and assumed he meant headlights. In that case he can disregard that part. Free advise then. :LOL:

But the wiring harness for the LED DRLs still holds.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
To repost, No 1 on this diagram are different for LED and halogens
Jeep Wrangler JL Swapping JL Sahara front fender flares for JL Rubicon front fender flares 1616782609339

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh, I saw FRONT LEDs and assumed he meant headlights. In that case he can disregard that part. Free advise. :LOL:

But the wiring harness for the LED DRLs still holds.
No problem...upgrading to front LED “Headlights” is also on the list...I’ve done a fair amount of research and am aware of the separate harness for the (MOPAR) Halo DRL’s.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
To repost, No 1 on this diagram are different for LED and halogens
1616782609339.png
True, but I think if he's buying the entire fender assembly, #1 harness in the diagram should be there. So, a non-issue. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

It's only if the seller list "cut-harness" that you need to beware. But I don't recommend buying those anyways.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No problem...upgrading to front LED “Headlights” is also on the list...I’ve done a fair amount of research and am aware of the separate harness for the (MOPAR) Halo DRL’s.
FYI, these headlamps look IDENTICAL to the Mopar LEDs https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-offroad/led-headlight-pair-wrangler-jl-gladiator-jt But they cost 60% and, apparently, the halos on this one are plug-and-play.

I didn't see this until after I got my Mopar LEDs, or I would have gone with these.

Jeep Wrangler JL Swapping JL Sahara front fender flares for JL Rubicon front fender flares 1616782804783

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
True, but I think if he's buying the entire fender assembly, #1 harness in the diagram should be there. So, a non-issue.

It's only if the seller list "cut-harness" that you need to beware. But I don't recommend buying those anyways.
I doubt the wiring comes with the fender assembly. FCA wouldn't know if it needs to include LED or non-LED wiring.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
So it looks when you buy the fenders from Mopar, you get automatically upgraded to LEDs.

Geez, for $700...it better come gold plated! :LOL:

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So it looks when you buy the fenders from Mopar, you get automatically upgraded to LEDs.

Geez, for $700...it better come gold plated! :LOL:
The quadratic link 2 posts above is for Mopar Rubicon flares, and part of the order process is choosing LED or halogen.

OP
OP
Resin Addict

Resin Addict

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I have a follow up question that (I think) I might have asked before, and may have been answered.
I‘ve locally found a set of LED front fender turn-signals (including harness and plug) for a really good price.
if I swap these for my original halogen front turn signals will they be plug and play like the rears are, or do I still need the dealer to flash them?
Sponsored