Sven saw - collapsible bow saw

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I was looking for something to keep in the Jeep to cut small trees or branches too large for the snips. I wanted made in America and was expecting I’d get something like a giant folding pocket knife. Came across these instead, like a collapsible bow saw. Only $46 and looks and feels like it’ll cut like a champ.

https://svensaw.com/
Sponsored

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
This is a good saw for backpacking and I use one for that. For the Jeep I find Silky saw a better option. Often I use it over getting the chainsaw out because it’s quick and can be done before the chainsaw is warmed up and ready to go.
Silky saw
Jeep Wrangler JL Sven saw - collapsible bow saw 9056D3F3-EC67-43D1-9AEE-6E4708E1B642

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is a good saw for backpacking and I use one for that. For the Jeep I find Silky saw a better option. Often I use it over getting the chainsaw out because it’s quick and can be done before the chainsaw is warmed up and ready to go.
Silky saw
Jeep Wrangler JL Sven saw - collapsible bow saw 9056D3F3-EC67-43D1-9AEE-6E4708E1B642
I *almost* got this one.

Sponsored

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Interesting. I hadn't heard of the Sven Saw before. I have a Silky and a Boreal 21 for outdoor wood processing, but the Sven is something I'll consider next time around.

GrumpyBadger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue Wrangler Unlimited Willys
I've had (and still have two - one of each length) Sven saws over the years. They're simpler and always worked pretty well for our Boundary Waters trips... a little more fiddly to set up than just flipping out of the handle, but not bad and they are a decent length and bite. Pack down to a nice space-saving slim. Almost easy to lose in the gear pile. YMMV with use case, of course... I don't think I'd rely on it at home as a constant use thing, but for an occasional small tree over the road or campfire... should be decent. The blades are reg steel, so be careful about rusting - don't put it away wet and forget about it (hence my "had" 🙄 ).

OP
OP
BDinTX

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I've had (and still have two - one of each length) Sven saws over the years. They're simpler and always worked pretty well for our Boundary Waters trips... a little more fiddly to set up than just flipping out of the handle, but not bad and they are a decent length and bite. Pack down to a nice space-saving slim. Almost easy to lose in the gear pile. YMMV with use case, of course... I don't think I'd rely on it at home as a constant use thing, but for an occasional small tree over the road or campfire... should be decent. The blades are reg steel, so be careful about rusting - don't put it away wet and forget about it (hence my "had" 🙄 ).
Ah... good info. I was definitely thinking occasional trail use. Will be sure to wipe it down with oil if I have to break it out.

LittleDog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara JLU
Silky saw

+1 for Silky.

They are Japanese saws, so they only cut on the pull stroke, but are tapered from the teeth to the spine so they rarely bind.

I keep a Gomboy and original 500mm Katanaboy in the jeep. They make many sizes of folding and fixed-blade, up to 1000mm! They even sell a file to resharpen the large-sized teeth.

The 500mm is two-handed and will section an 8" log very quickly. Recommend keeping a bottle of acetone or alcohol with any saw, to clean off sap afterwards.

I also may or may not have the small Sven saw in the jeep somewhere. The thing folds up so small, I haven't been able to find it in over a year.
Sponsored