Sponsored

Suspension sagging due to added weight - spacer lift or.....?

OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2017 Miata Club RF
My recommendation is to install the Old Man Emu Springs as indicated by OME representative.

Avoid wheel spacers.

I'm going to avoid wheel spacers either way. What makes you say OME vs AEV?
Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
No clue. They didn't have any info other than "links will contact". Didn't provide any info for what might work other than space the wheel out. I feel like with enough trial and error that I could find a link that would work though right?
Now that I think about it, the triple rate AEV springs probably have such a long uncompressed length vs stock that they allow the wheels to hit the links on stock offset. If that's the case, any link would have the same problem. Though I am completely guessing!

I think I would go OME, making sure to get the weight right. Dual rate springs are probably to your advantage here. Plus, assuming the measurements are comparable, it's 2 instead of 2.5".

Last edited:

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Rubicon running Synergy 2” Stage 1 lift running +20 offset on 35’s.

Your springs won’t come close to touching sway bars. If they do you have WAY bigger problems.

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
OEM has more springs available based on vehicle weight. The springs are more linear, which makes it easier for a shock to control damping in all terrain.

My experience with cargo coil springs is they have a narrow sweet spot, once suspension travel surpasses this sweet spot, they ride harsh. Best for vehicles that remain on the road.

OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon running Synergy 2” Stage 1 lift running +20 offset on 35’s.

Your springs won’t come close to touching sway bars. If they do you have WAY bigger problems.
It was that the sway bar endlinks and wheel would contact, not the spring. According to AEV that is.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
That can't possibly work without grinding the OEM studs. I have sources that have manufactured spacers of various sizes for me in the past for sports cars that I've talked to already. They can do anything from 11mm up to however thick I want, but anything under 1.75" requires OEM stud modification. I'm not willing to cross that bridge yet.
I'm not a fan of spacers, I just know that there are sources for narrower sets. I don't know what wheels he used them on and what modifications were needed.

OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I didn't know Clayton had a 1.5" overlanding kit. Now that sounds like the best...
Their kits also come with fewer components than any of their competitors. That's my main concern. Both Clayton and OME will need far more parts/$ added to be up to spec with AEV for instance.

Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Their kits also come with fewer components than any of their competitors. That's my main concern. Both Clayton and OME will need far more parts/$ added to be up to spec with AEV for instance.
I am a firm believer in lift it properly or not at all, but at that height, you truly may not need them. The axles may not be that far off requiring a trackbar, etc. Assuming the lift stays true to form, you're really in the same ballpark as people who add 1 inch spacer lifts to a Rubicon and they don't seem to require much (though perhaps they are neglecting to properly replace components, I don't know).

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
Op.. I haven't seen a picture of what you're considering heavy squat or how much weight you're actually carrying. I've got a pretty heavy rig and went with a Clayton 2.5 overland plus kit and my fatass jeep sits and rides great with it.

And for what it's worth... I thought I may have wanted the 1.5" kit, but in hindsight I think I would have regretted it.

OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another set of options I've become aware of is the Synergy starter lifts. They have a 1" and 2" option (going to call and see if I could mix it with 1" front / 2" rear) that both reuse the stock shocks with relocation brackets.

They are also far cheaper than a full blown lift kit, without requiring any spacers. They also have an option for easily upgrading shocks in the future without the need for much more.

Synergy Starter Lifts

What's everyone's take on that?

Last edited:

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I am running Synergy 2" Stage 1 and been super happy with it. It drives and tracks better than my AEV DualSport on my JK. The starters with Synergy are the same springs as mine and as you go up in packages it just adds trackball, rear track bar bracket, etc. When I have the RTT (147 lb) and loaded gear in the back I can barely tell there is any sag. I am likely the only one who can tell really too. Gear is usually 45L cooler loaded up, 2 bags with clothing for 2 people, blankets, pillows, wood, air compressor, recovery gear, traction boards, and probably more. I would guess I am adding close to 200 lb so pushing 350 lb range I am guessing.

OP
OP
SlickRickMotoADV

SlickRickMotoADV

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am running Synergy 2" Stage 1 and been super happy with it. It drives and tracks better than my AEV DualSport on my JK. The starters with Synergy are the same springs as mine and as you go up in packages it just adds trackball, rear track bar bracket, etc. When I have the RTT (147 lb) and loaded gear in the back I can barely tell there is any sag. I am likely the only one who can tell really too. Gear is usually 45L cooler loaded up, 2 bags with clothing for 2 people, blankets, pillows, wood, air compressor, recovery gear, traction boards, and probably more. I would guess I am adding close to 200 lb so pushing 350 lb range I am guessing.
What's on the front of your vehicle? I'm wondering if the 2" kit will push my aluminum bumper and winch too high or if I should be trying to get the 1" front.
Sponsored