First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S (JL)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Getting all the parts for the Rubicon suspension on Sunday from a friend of mine to put into my Sport S. Install should be fine but have one question. Are the springs no big deal, or do I need a spring compressor to get them on?
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Not a big deal. Put the frame on jack stands just forward of the where the rear control arm mounts to the frame. Get the frame reasonably high. Block the front wheels obviously.

loosen up the bolts on the control arms. Take the wheels off. Undue the sway bar links, disconnect the shocks. Lower the axle and take the springs out.

As you lower the axle keep checking that break lines, e-brake cables, diff breather aren’t over extending.

If you need to, use a jack to lift up one side of the axle, which will further lower the opposite side. If you only have one Jack, you can use the jack in your Jeep.

I have a couple 6x6 wood blocks about 10” tall, and some 2x4 pieces. In an alternative to jacking up one side as mentioned above, I’ll stack these under one sides rotor and lower the other side. This also gets you a little more room.

Lots of ways to do it, but it’s no big deal. I have spring compressors but I’ve never used them on Jeeps.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Yep no big deal. No spring compressor needed. Mark explains the process pretty well.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
Getting all the parts for the Rubicon suspension on Sunday from a friend of mine to put into my Sport S. Install should be fine but have one question. Are the springs no big deal, or do I need a spring compressor to get them on?
This video shows what Mark is referring to. Definitely pay attention to the lines as mentioned. You probably won’t need to remove any of them for such a small change but worth keeping an eye on them to be sure. I installed a 3.5” lift and later added pucks to level the front, so I did this twice. I found the best jack point for me was in front of the suspension on the frame. Regardless, you have to get enough height to let the axle drop. It’s a little scary the first time but pretty easy overall.

OP
OP
LaneSprings

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Thanks! You guys are awesome! Last time I changed springs out was on a Ford Galaxy XL 500 I was rebuilding. Totally had to use compressors.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LaneSprings

LaneSprings

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Auto Insurance Agent
Just picked up the suspension off of a JLUR to put on my Sport S. Should be a nice lift from that! And the guy I got it from out less than 500 miles on it before doing the most insane build I’ve ever personally seen. Now to get up the gumption to get out there and swap it all out...

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Do you need to remove the rear trackbar to drop the axle to remove the springs?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Do you need to remove the rear trackbar to drop the axle to remove the springs?
Yes. Just detach it on one end if you aren’t replacing it. It’s just one bolt and makes it easier.

Sponsored

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Not a big deal. Put the frame on jack stands just forward of the where the rear control arm mounts to the frame. Get the frame reasonably high. Block the front wheels obviously.

loosen up the bolts on the control arms. Take the wheels off. Undue the sway bar links, disconnect the shocks. Lower the axle and take the springs out.

As you lower the axle keep checking that break lines, e-brake cables, diff breather aren’t over extending.

If you need to, use a jack to lift up one side of the axle, which will further lower the opposite side. If you only have one Jack, you can use the jack in your Jeep.

I have a couple 6x6 wood blocks about 10” tall, and some 2x4 pieces. In an alternative to jacking up one side as mentioned above, I’ll stack these under one sides rotor and lower the other side. This also gets you a little more room.

Lots of ways to do it, but it’s no big deal. I have spring compressors but I’ve never used them on Jeeps.
I plan to swap the springs too, lots good info you shared, thanks! Do I really need to loose up the LCA bolts? I swapped the LCAs early this year and the 190 torque required a bit room to work under the rig. I’m also thinking about swapping the springs while I do the 5-tire rotation.

Mx5red

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JTR, 2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
I plan to swap the springs too, lots good info you shared, thanks! Do I really need to loose up the LCA bolts? I swapped the LCAs early this year and the 190 torque required a bit room to work under the rig. I’m also thinking about swapping the springs while I do the 5-tire rotation.
You should. Not only will it make it easier for the control arms to flex to put the springs in, but you really should be retorquing them at the new ride height (on the tires). Otherwise the control arm joints will be at a little bit of tension and may wear out/bind etc more.
Buying a nice long torque wrench is mucho worth it.

Fast-n-Furious

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
You should. Not only will it make it easier for the control arms to flex to put the springs in, but you really should be retorquing them at the new ride height (on the tires). Otherwise the control arm joints will be at a little bit of tension and may wear out/bind etc more.
Buying a nice long torque wrench is mucho worth it.
Got it. What you said makes sense! Thanks! One more question, from what I found on this forum, the torque for sway bar end links bolts should be 60, and the lower shocks bolts 75. Do you happen to know to confirm?

Flip

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Build Thread
Link
Take some before and after pictures.

Good luck your install bro. đź‘Ť