OP
Mike in Reedley
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Mow? Mower? Like, cutting grass? Seriously? Jeez. It was -8 this morning. Our JL is buried. And not in grass clippings, either.
I have a two acre lawn that needs mowing 9 months out of the year.
Sponsored

The Mad Duck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Dodge Nitro R/T 4X4 (My Fake Jeep), 2010 Dodge Journey R/T, 1962 Imperial
3.6 with eight speed auto. Here’s a pic of the flashings.

068D355C-F283-4B65-8375-AEADB94A4A0D.jpeg
My Name is Dave: I Worked for Chrysler for 40 Years and 2 Month. 26 Years at Trenton Engine.
Your 3.6L Most Likely was Made in Trenton. I Worked on Production, then as an Apprentice Tool & Die Maker, Then a Journeyman, and my Last 24 Years as a Maintenance Supervisor.
I Helped Make the 3.6L for the First 3 Years it was made.
I Spent 10 Years on the Mid-Night Shift as a Maintenance Supervisor.
One of our Major Responsibilities on that Shift was
Making Sure the Part Washers were Clean and Cleaned Parts Properly.
I Spent a Countless Number of Meetings with the Metallurgical Lab and Quality Control Reviewing "Dirt Check Reports"
to Make Sure All Part Are Properly Cleaned.
"Dirt Checks' Are Performed By Using a Coffee Filter, Yes a Coffee Filter, Weighing It Down to a 1/10 of A Grain, Flushing out the Part with an Industrial Grade of Alcohol. Blowing it out for (Metal) Chips. and then Re-weighing after the Alcohol Evaporated.
Some Parts Would Fail with .2 Grains of "Dirt" in them.
Now as to the Material You Have Photographed . This is NOT Casting Flash.
Those are Chips are from the Machining Process.
If that Amount of "Dirt' was found in a Part the SXIT Would Hit the Fan. Period.
I Know I Was the One Who Would be Getting Hit by It.
I Recognize the Chips. I Belive they are From the Cylinder Heads.
In Fact they are from the Machining of the Valve Seat Pockets. The 3.6L Cylinder Head was and is the Most Difficult
Part I Have Ever been Involved with.
Now If that Amount of Chips Would have Been Found in an Engine or Cylinder Head the Following Events Wold Have Happened.

1. All Parts Made after That Would Have Been Quarantined, Separated Out from all Assembled Engines and Not Used or Shipped.

2. A "Clean Point" Would Be Established. ( 100% OK Parts)

3. An RCA Event Would Happen. (RCA Means Root Cause Analysis). Production of the Offending Part Would NOT Resume Until We Figured Out What the Hxxx Happened.

3. The Problem Would Be Corrected and then Production Would Resume.

Got It.

I Was Working on Afternoons on the Assembly Line on Second Shift about 6 Months after the 3.6L Went into the KJ.
at Toledo the "Lost" an Engine on the Final Inspection Rollers.
Yes, It Threw A Rod thru the Block. (It's a Long Story)

1. When Word of the Event got Back to Use (Rather Quickly), Production STOPPED on the Assembly Line for Over 10 Hours.
2. Word of that Got Thru the Entire Plant in About 15 Minuets.
3. In All My Years a Chrysler I have never Seen any thing Like that It was Right Up there the Events at
Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.

I Have Watched a Number of People Go On about Poor Quality Control.
Most of them have Absolutely NO CLUE What They are Talking About What So Ever About.

DVB

OP
OP
Mike in Reedley
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
My Name is Dave: I Worked for Chrysler for 40 Years and 2 Month. 26 Years at Trenton Engine.
Your 3.6L Most Likely was Made in Trenton. I Worked on Production, then as an Apprentice Tool & Die Maker, Then a Journeyman, and my Last 24 Years as a Maintenance Supervisor.
I Helped Make the 3.6L for the First 3 Years it was made.
I Spent 10 Years on the Mid-Night Shift as a Maintenance Supervisor.
One of our Major Responsibilities on that Shift was
Making Sure the Part Washers were Clean and Cleaned Parts Properly.
I Spent a Countless Number of Meetings with the Metallurgical Lab and Quality Control Reviewing "Dirt Check Reports"
to Make Sure All Part Are Properly Cleaned.
"Dirt Checks' Are Performed By Using a Coffee Filter, Yes a Coffee Filter, Weighing It Down to a 1/10 of A Gram, Flushing out the Part with an Industrial Grade of Alcohol. Blowing it out for (Metal) Chips. and then Re-weighing after the Alcohol Evaporated.
Some Parts Would Fail with .2 Grains of "Dirt" in them.
Now as to the Material You Have Photographed . This is NOT Casting Flash.
Those are Chips are from the Machining Process.
If that Amount of "Dirt' was found in a Part the SXIT Would Hit the Fan. Period.
I Know I Was the One Who Would be Getting Hit by It.
I Recognize the Chips. I Belive they are From the Cylinder Heads.
In Fact they are from the Machining of the Valve Seat Pockets. The 3.6L Cylinder Head was and is the Most Difficult
Part I Have Ever been Involved with.
Now If that Amount of Chips Would have Been Found in an Engine or Cylinder Head the Following Events Wold Have Happened.

1. All Parts Made after That Would Have Been Quarantined, Separated Out from all Assembled Engines and Not Used or Shipped.

2. A "Clean Point" Would Be Established. ( 100% OK Parts)

3. An RCA Event Would Happen. (RCA Means Root Cause Analysis). Production of the Offending Part Would NOT Resume Until We Figured Out What the Hxxx Happened.

3. The Problem Would Be Corrected and then Production Would Resume.

Got It.

I Was Working on Afternoons on the Assembly Line on Second Shift about 6 Months after the 3.6L Went into the KJ.
at Toledo the "Lost" an Engine on the Final Inspection Rollers.
Yes, It Threw A Rod thru the Block. (It's a Long Story)

1. When Word of the Event got Back to Use (Rather Quickly), Production STOPPED on the Assembly Line for Over 10 Hours.
2. Word of that Got Thru the Entire Plant in About 15 Minuets.
3. In All My Years a Chrysler I have never Seen any thing Like that It was Right Up there the Events at
Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941.

I Have Watched a Number of People Go On about Poor Quality Control.
Most of them have Absolutely NO CLUE What They are Talking About What So Ever About.

DVB
I thought I made it clear in the last paragraph from the the first post, the plastic flashing were from the new oil catch pan, not from the engine. I watched the oil drain into the flat pan, then flow into the catch reservoir. Nothing came out in chunks from the engine.

Jeepboy5229

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK 2DR Sport Auto HT, 2019 Cherokee Limited Loaded, 2019 JL 2DR Rubicon Granite Stick HT
Occupation
Retired
I did enjoy the read. Thanks for the plant quality control Info
Sponsored