First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I always keep an emergency kit, a few bungee cords, a quart of oil, and a gallon of windshield washer fluid in all my cars at all times. The emergency kit contents vary, but they all include a super basic first aid kit, flashlight & fresh batteries, jumper cables, nitrile gloves, and an air compressor that plugs into the cig lighter ports. In winter I add a snow brush/scraper, a collapseable shovel, and a blanket. These days I also keep a bottle of hand sanitizer, a pack of wet wipes, and at least a mask or two. All this stuff fits pretty nicely in the back and doesn't take that much space. I've had to use the jumpers to help out a handful of folks with dead batteries but never needed any of the other emergency stuff, but it never hurts to be prepared.
Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Any recommendations for a roll up tool bag, or pouch?
It really doesn't have to say Jeep , American Standard , Pepsi or any other logo of approval. I have an oily piece of an old army tent as my tool wrap and in some emergencies even that old piece of canvas can safe the day. My tool kit is becoming kind of obsolete anyways when I have to deal with a machine that runs more like a PC then an automobile.

Sponsored

G.D.S. 4x4

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Hardrock 2dr '19 JL Rubi
Occupation
Old Jeeper not gonna say how long!
Wow I only saw one shovel in all these posts! They work great as a backup fire extinguisher. Short ones hide behind the spare tire easily.

KSwilly

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willys in Hellayella
Vehicle Showcase
I keep a "go bag" with emergency shelter and blankets, matches, tinder, water purification pens, some knives and tools, emergency ration "brick," walking stick, heavy jacket. I also keep wet wipes and ziplock bags. I usually keep a gallon or two of water, particularly when going to the desert.
For recovery gear, I've currently got a recovery rope and D-rings. Winch isn't installed yet - on order (with new bumper.) Thinking about adding a winch anchor as well for self-recovery.

EDIT: I do have a small hand shovel/pick combo in the back.

Tracy

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 1997 Rock Crawling Buggy
I have an ARB drawer, so it holds a lot. I have:
Shovel
Fuses of every type
Rope
Mechanics hand towels (like Gojo, etc)
Paper towels
Toilet paper
Tool kit with sockets and ratchets
Rollup wrench pouch
Air Compressor
Jumper Cables
Gloves
box of misc bolts, nuts, washers
Tire plug kit w/ valve stems
Winch control
Recovery kit (tree saver, strap, clevis, D ring, gloves)
Flashlight
Complete med kit (has stuff in there I dont know how to use!)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What do you use the M8 wingnutz for? N1&2 are the M6x1.0
@WagzDad ... Just noticed your ?.

You use 2, M6x1.0 Wingnuts to secure the jumper/bypass cable to N1 and N2.

When you use the jumper/bypass cable you also need to disconnect the Aux , Negative cable.

A single, M8 Wingnut replaces the Aux Battery M8 wingless nut... this way you can easily and with no tools disconnect the Aux, Negative........ Just like you can easily and with no tools disconnect the N1 - N2 jumper/bypass.
----------------------------------
By the way, I have been running with the N1 - N2 jumper/bypass with Aux. Negative cable disconnected full-time for over a year now and over 18,000 miles doing so.

Leaves me running the JL with just the Main battery. My Aux battery is healthy but I don't trust it... 8-)

I still attach a Battery Tender to both batteries to maintain them, when my vehicle sits idle for a few days. JL behaves just fine running on just the Main.. I still use the wingnuts on all, just in case I need to go back to stock configuration and don't want to bother with tools.

Sponsored

Somnium

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Rubicon - Sting Gray
Occupation
Systems Administrator - IT
Everything I have has been mentioned already, except for one thing... a beer growler! Because you never know when you're going to find a new brewery when out roaming the countryside.

Growler.jpg

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@WagzDad ... Just noticed your ?.

You use 2, M6x1.0 Wingnuts to secure the jumper/bypass cable to N1 and N2.

When you use the jumper/bypass cable you also need to disconnect the Aux , Negative cable.

A single, M8 Wingnut replaces the Aux Battery M8 wingless nut... this way you can easily and with no tools disconnect the Aux, Negative........ Just like you can easily and with no tools disconnect the N1 - N2 jumper/bypass.
----------------------------------
By the way, I have been running with the N1 - N2 jumper/bypass with Aux. Negative cable disconnected full-time for over a year now and over 18,000 miles doing so.

Leaves me running the JL with just the Main battery. My Aux battery is healthy but I don't trust it... 8-)

I still attach a Battery Tender to both batteries to maintain them, when my vehicle sits idle for a few days. JL behaves just fine running on just the Main.. I still use the wingnuts on all, just in case I need to go back to stock configuration and don't want to bother with tools.
Thank You! I have read through the major ESS threads multiple times and had missed the part about the negative disconnect. I put my NOCO smart charger on once a month for good measure. FCA warrentied the original batteries last fall and that is when I began the monthly maintenance charge.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Last edited:

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Everything I have has been mentioned already, except for one thing... a beer growler! Because you never know when you're going to find a new brewery when out roaming the countryside.

Growler.jpg
My man... after my heart with that. Especially since its "National Drink Beer Day".
Sponsored