Not open for further replies.

vasdimpop

First Name
Vasil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY22 JLUR (being built)
I didn't read the entire thread, so if this was mentioned, cool, here it is again: I read somewhere on another thread that high combustion engines like the 3.6 benefit from 91 vs 87, so I've been putting in 91. However, if I don't have to, I'm all about 87.

I put 87 in my Lexus hybrid, and get better performance vs 91 strangely.

What about alternating 87/91/87/91?

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

In Denver, the dealer here fills up the new 3.6's with 85... They told me it is fine because of the altitude... I have ran 85, 87, and 91 and can't feel or hear a difference in noise or acceleration. I still stick with 87 or occasionally mix a tank with 85 and 91 at Costco.

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Jesus, this debate has been held thousands of times on every single fucking car forum I have ever been on. If the vehicle manufacturer specifies the fuel for your vehicle that is what that specific vehicle requires. End of story.

Also, if you care about your vehicle don't run bargain brand fuels. Run mid or high level fuels at the manufacturer specified octane levels. They literally spend millions of dollars to test for the optimal fuel for the engines in their vehicles.
Been driving for 30 years. I use bargain gas only and never had a problem. My 2008 JKU I bought brand new still runs like a top at 165k miles with only the cheapest gas I can find.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
This idea has been debunked many times over. Using anything over 87 octane for the 3.6l offers absolutely nothing tangible. If it helps you sleep at night, then by all means, go for it. No one should ridicule you for the fuel grade you choose. But you should also be honest with yourself about the reason you choose to use higher octane fuel. Even more importantly, don't hassle everyone else over their choice.

This exact same discussion lives on every single automotive enthusiast forum in the history of the internet, and the answer has been the same in every single one - run what the owners manual tells you to run. Anything above and beyond is not needed and can actually be detrimental in some instances.

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
I really liked that post that just got deleted. Right on, whoever that was.

Status
Not open for further replies.