Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
This engine seems temperamental with all the issues going on with it. Rocker arms, valve issues, cam bearing etc. if Chrysler suggest premium gas then so be it. It’s not a huge cost. All I can say is there are loads of mechanics on YouTube who say this engine has problems. I never had to worry about rocker arms in my 4.2 liter. It’s insane for a modern engine to have such issues.
Dude, just stop flat out lying. That is not what Chrysler says as proven by a ridiculous number of people on here so you're either a troll or confused. It literally says, in the manual, that 87 is the recommended fuel for the engine. The service departments all verify its 87 as the recommended fuel. Its the same recommendation across all the Gen2 3.6s in the lineup.

I know this as do lots of other people, but you can confuse some other people that don't know better.
Sponsored

Nailgun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
My 3.6 is noisier at idle and low speeds under load with 87, if I run 89 it is quieter. It has 22k miles. I dont know if the noise I hear is any sort of irregular combustion, but I wouldn't be surprised as the new generation 3.6 has 11.x:1 compression, which is quite high for 87 octane. The performance of this motor in this application is octane limited - see the gains livernois gets with just a tune and better gas.
There is a bit more to compression numbers that you might not be aware about. The OP's old AMC 258 might if he's lucky, have as much as 8.5:1 compression. That was about standard for the day. The 258 had fixed valve timing, so compression was essentially fixed from idle to red line. The 3.6 has VVT control. With VVT, you can 'bleed' off some of that compression by controlling the overlap of the intake and exhaust valves. If the engine see's knock from either cylinder bank....it has a choice to counter that knock. Add fuel,cut timing or control the overlap (all depending of operating conditions and engine mapping). If you cheap out on fuel and get that knock, the PCM will correct the situation before your even aware of it. I can't think of a vehicle that I have owned that has had audible knock in the past 20 some odd years. It's really that rare these days. The op's 258 that he's so proud of is very sensitive to knock. Get the timing to far advanced....and you have knock. Lug it up a steep hill on a hot day.....and you have knock. My 2 cents to anybody who believes that premium is 'truly' a needed on the Pentastar 3.6 should get themselves a decent quality handheld OBD2 scanner capable of 'live' data and 'logging'. Find that PID for the knock sensors and see if you can get the 3.6 to knock. My bet is the head design on the 3.6 is so good, that it doesn't need much if and knock control.....again typical for well mapped out modern NA engines built today.

On another note, the OP should understand rocker bearing pivot bearings (leading to cam lobe failure) were an early issue with the 3.6's. Are they fixed for good.....can't say. This has gone thru revisions and seems like it's a non issue on the PUG. Overall......your concerns about the 3.6 are without merit IMHO. Enough.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
Dude, just stop flat out lying. That is not what Chrysler says as proven by a ridiculous number of people on here so you're either a troll or confused. It literally says, in the manual, that 87 is the recommended fuel for the engine. The service departments all verify its 87 as the recommended fuel. Its the same recommendation across all the Gen2 3.6s in the lineup.

I know this as do lots of other people, but you can confuse some other people that don't know better.
No. Chrysler said in light of the engine problems they suggest people use 89 or better which will solve the problems.

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd
My 3.6 runs like poop on 87 octane winter gas. I use 91 when they switch to winter gas around here, and it runs "normal". I don't notice any difference with higher octane summer gas. I only use Chevron or Shell. Maybe it has nothing to do with octane and someone keeps pissing into the regular tank at my local gas station during the winter.. no clue.

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
No. Chrysler said in light of the engine problems they suggest people use 89 or better which will solve the problems.
Yeah, you're still lying friend. You have never shown any evidence that Chrysler says that. Literally none. You posted some douche from "MARSPEED" who says that Chrysler says that, but never anything official from Chrysler that recommends anything but 87. So yeah, you are lying.

Also, since you posted that video, it has issues. Most of the actual data this guys puts out is misleading or incorrect. For example, there are two versions of Pentastar engines, the Gen 1 and the Gen 2, conflating "fails" from one to the other is disingenuous at best.

If anyone wants to run a higher octane, great, their call and maybe they do have better results. But stop lying when you say Chrysler recommends it.

Sponsored

JJSix

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
Once again, you said that Chrysler recommends higher octane than 87. You 100% have been unable to substantiate that claim, probably because you are lying. Manual, service departments all agree on 87. So yes, you are lying about what you said.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a youtube mechanic who has 0 knowledge in the science of thermodynamics.
I’m hearing this from a variety of mechanics who’ve said this engine requires higher octane fuels. They’ve even said Chrysler suggest running this engine at least 89 octane.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

This is what a certified mechanic said of this engine.
So what? My father has been a certified mechanic for over 40 years. In fact, he started his career as an airplane mechanic in the Israeli army. So he knows a thing or two about airplanes too. He's seen his share of engines. He's told me numerous times that the 3.6 is one of the most dependent/reliable engines ever made.

I’m hearing this from a variety of mechanics who’ve said this engine requires higher octane fuels. They’ve even said Chrysler suggest running this engine at least 89 octane.
Once again an unproven blanket statement. As I've just said above, my father is a mechanic. I just asked him and he said this is all BS. There's no need to run 89 or higher in the 3.6.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Once again, you said that Chrysler recommends higher octane than 87. You 100% have been unable to substantiate that claim, probably because you are lying. Manual, service departments all agree on 87. So yes, you are lying about what you said.
You’re a fool. Why would I lie. I’m not selling anything . Like it’s really matters what happens to others. Do what you want but I’m taking these experts advice.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So what? My father has been a certified mechanic for over 40 years. In fact, he started his career as an airplane mechanic in the Israeli army. So he knows a thing or two about airplanes too. He's seen his share of engines. He's told me numerous times that the 3.6 is one of the most dependent/reliable engines ever made.
Yeah sure while he’s fixing them, right?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.