Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2016 Dodge Caravan
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
The fact that your dad worked on the Connie is pretty cool. Those old radials, well any engine, were designed to run on a specific octane no? Not like it was rated for 80 and they decided to run 100LL or whatever was in service at that time.
You can thank General Doolittle for the high octane rating in aircraft, neat bit of history. He held a PhD in Aeronautical Engineering and when he moved from active duty to the reserves in the last 1920s, he was a Shell Executive and was the major reason that Shell ramped up R/D and then production of high octane fuel for aircraft. Huge impact on performance during WWII.

https://sofrep.com/news/filler-up-how-high-octane-gasoline-saved-untold-allied-pilots-during-wwii/
Sponsored

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
Believe what you want. I got 158,000 miles out of my CJ7 using synthetic oil and super unleaded while many wrangler owners sold their off at 50K. I’m sure I’ll have mine long after you sold yours.

What exactly do you think you are arguing with me about?

I've made no statement concerning fuel or oil. So, I guess I'm saying, take your meds.

NewJLU2019

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 2019 Sahara Unlimited
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Awww, I see you still dwell in your safe space... all butt hurt. :CWL:
At least I am not the one always insulting people. That's your MO from your safe place.

Like I told your brother stay afloat in that toilet. Remove the handle so no one accidentally flushes you away.

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
At least I am not the one always insulting people. ....

Yes, yes you are. You've been one of the first in every thread to start tossing around insults.

I'm sure it's the public schools or the class bully that made you a poor reader and lack comprehension.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
The internet is full of complaints with this engine. Just look at what mechanics are saying. Use super unleaded.
The vast majority of 3.6 owners on this forum are happy with their powerplants.

Please provide empirical evidence to support your claims. Your comments and this thread as a whole make you sound like a troll.

Sponsored

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
My 3.6 is noisier at idle and low speeds under load with 87, if I run 89 it is quieter. It has 22k miles. I dont know if the noise I hear is any sort of irregular combustion, but I wouldn't be surprised as the new generation 3.6 has 11.x:1 compression, which is quite high for 87 octane. The performance of this motor in this application is octane limited - see the gains livernois gets with just a tune and better gas.

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
You don’t believe me? Why should I care? My dad was a mechanic back in the day. Worked on Lockheed Constellations and Electras. He told me don’t ever use 87. They put wear and tear on a engine. Fill it full of carbon. All the airlines used super octane fuels in their old piston high output engines for a reason . Today’s engines have some serious horsepower. My CJ7 4.2 liter 258 cid got 115 horsepower and 225 pounds of torque. Back in the day CJ7s did go 80 miles an hour unless you wanted a death wish. Today’s Wranglers drive more like cars than the Jeeps of my youth. A turn in today’s JL would flip a CJ.
I am not far behind you in age and and happy that you might actually be seeing some performance increase and/or lack of pinging with higher octane fuels. However, I respectfully submit that that rest of your commentary is comprised mostly of conjecture and anecdotes that are clearly not supported by actual facts or data. Furthermore, while I agree about the vast differences between CJs and JLs, comparing them isn't really germane to the assertions you are trying to make because they are very different vehicles. That said, the 1980 CJ-5 that I still own has the same 4.2L 258 engine that your CJ-7 did, and I continue to enjoy the performance it provides...while still feeding it 87 octane, nothing more. No pings, no rattles, no issues whatsoever during decades of proud ownership. In any case, I wish you the best of luck, no matter what fuel you decide to use, but highly recommend evaluating the facts and data, which are plentiful and easy to research.

...and for everyone else, when the hell did 56 ever become "old?"

Last edited:

LooselyHeldPlans

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 3.6 JLUR
Occupation
Several
My dad was a mechanic back in the day. Worked on Lockheed Constellations and Electras. He told me don’t ever use 87. They put wear and tear on a engine. Fill it full of carbon. All the airlines used super octane fuels in their old piston high output engines for a reason . Today’s engines have some serious horsepower. My CJ7 4.2 liter 258 cid got 115 horsepower and 225 pounds of torque. Back in the day CJ7s did go 80 miles an hour unless you wanted a death wish. Today’s Wranglers drive more like cars than the Jeeps of my youth. A turn in today’s JL would flip a CJ.
This is just a bunch of non-sequitur bullshit. OP is a troll whether he knows or intends to be.

Account registered 2 days ago and his next thread will probably be titled “are Toyota’s more like a tank than a Jeep? My brothers bicycle mechanic says they are.”

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Exactly. Race cars uses extremely high octane fuels. There got to be a reason why. Less Wear and tear on engines, fuel economy and smoother operation. I’m
Its not because of wear and tear. It has do with compression, cylinder pressures, cylinder temps, ignition timing, fuel timing, piston shape, rpm ....ect. All of these thing decided what octane is needed.

Sponsored

Monkeynono

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Believe what you want. I got 158,000 miles out of my CJ7 using synthetic oil and super unleaded while many wrangler owners sold their off at 50K. I’m sure I’ll have mine long after you sold yours.
I have, 184k (it's now in a 3rd vehicle) on my SBC that has never seen super and gets the oil changed ever year (if its lucky) with cheapest available. Does a great job of spinning the 37s. Also had a magnum v10 I treated the same way even worse... I replaced the trans more then the oil.... It's still around and running.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
This is just a bunch of non-sequitur bullshit. OP is a troll whether he knows or intends to be.

Account registered 2 days ago and his next thread will probably be titled “are Toyota’s more like a tank than a Jeep? My brothers bicycle mechanic says they are.”
Actually the pre 1984 Land cruiser FJ40 were tougher than any Jeep. It had a killer 4.0 which was indestructible. I wanted one but they stopped make that vehicle in 1983. I settled on a CJ7. Some dude out in California makes them for $100K. Recently Mahindra tried to use their own grill for their Roxor but Toyota fought and won that battle.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
ALL of the fuel is bad for the 3.6 Pentastar....regular...midgrade...and premium. I ONLY use jet fuel in my 2019 Sahara and it will knock your ass into the backseat when the afterburner lights!! IMPORTANT: ORDER THE HEAT PROOF SPARE FROM MOPAR PART #867-5309
Jeep Wrangler JL Super unleaded gas for 3.6 liter Jeep afterburner

FJL40

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr 6spd
Actually the pre 1984 Land cruiser FJ40 were tougher than any Jeep. It had a killer 4.0 which was indestructible. I wanted one but they stopped make that vehicle in 1983. I settled on a CJ7. Some dude out in California makes them for $100K. Recently Mahindra tried to use their own grill for their Roxor but Toyota fought and won that battle.
Let’s all not forget FJ40’s used Chevy-derived inline sixes ;). So yeah, those “Chevy” inline sixes were tough as nails. Ask me how I know.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.