First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
All gasoline is not the same. Some gasoline is crap and they sell this crap at mom and pop stations. Also, there is an issue with how old the gas is you buy and use.

I've said this before on here that I have a 1976 F100 with a high compression 7 liter engine. Every time I get premium gas at the mom and pop stations and even some more well known ones like Speedway my engine has issues. Idles rough, harder to start, preignition, etc... After I run that crap gas out and get gas from Exxon, BP or Shell, no more problems.

So, I don't care what you've read, your crappy low octane gas can be causing pinging or other similar issues and maybe even carbon buildup.

My 2019 JLUR with a 3.6 runs smoother and gets slightly better gas mileage on 89 octane from Exxon. I get gas at whatever is convenient on road trips. I've noticed a rougher idle and lower mileage during that period.

My .02 worth.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
All gasoline is not the same. Some gasoline is crap and they sell this crap at mom and pop stations. Also, there is an issue with how old the gas is you buy and use.

I've said this before on here that I have a 1976 F100 with a high compression 7 liter engine. Every time I get premium gas at the mom and pop stations and even some more well known ones like Speedway my engine has issues. Idles rough, harder to start, preignition, etc... After I run that crap gas out and get gas from Exxon, BP or Shell, no more problems.

So, I don't care what you've read, your crappy low octane gas can be causing pinging or other similar issues and maybe even carbon buildup.

My 2019 JLUR with a 3.6 runs smoother and gets slightly better gas mileage on 89 octane from Exxon. I get gas at whatever is convenient on road trips. I've noticed a rougher idle and lower mileage during that period.

My .02 worth.

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
All fuel is not the same. Well, it is in the beginning. The government mandates a certain amount of detergents in all fuel. Top Tier stations put more in there fuel to help combat valves getting carbon on them in direct injection engines. If you go to the top tier website they explain it. Several manufactures got together with fuel stations to get them to do this. I can confirm while working at a dealership for over 20 years that a direct injection engine running on non top tier fuel will need a top engine clean by about 60,000-70,000 miles. I can’t even count how many come in with slow start and check engine light on that have to have this done. Then you ask them the type of fuel they use and it is 100% non top tier. Granted our 3.6 engines aren’t direct injection, I still feel the top tier fuel can’t help but keep it a little cleaner. I do run 91 octane, because in our state 91 doesn’t have any ethanol in it. Anyway, you watch numerous YouTube videos proving top tier fuel and read several articles proving it is the better fuel. Doesn’t cost anymore around here to buy the better fuel. As a matter of fact I use Phillips 66, and they give me a .15 discount per gallon for using the app to pay. So, it’s actually cheaper. I’m sure I’ll still get the, “it’s all the same gas”, argument. It 100% isn’t.

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Think what you like but being a bully is easy for those who seem to have some serious issue with opposing opinions.
I have no issues with opposing opinions. The problem is you stated the Chrysler recommended higher octane gas. This was presented as fact not opinion. You have submitted no evidence to support this claim.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have no issues with opposing opinions. The problem is you stated the Chrysler recommended higher octane gas. This was presented as fact not opinion. You have submitted no evidence to support this claim.
No Chrysler did say high octane fuel would remedy the problem. Way don’t you contact them?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I ran 85 octane in the 3.6 in the JK I used to have
Exactly. Race cars uses extremely high octane fuels. There got to be a reason why. Less Wear and tear on engines, fuel economy and smoother operation. I’m
Octane is simply resistance to detonation. The higher the compression, the more detonation you get. The more boost you add, the more detonation you get. High compression and boosted engines need higher octane to combat detonation.

Race engines up the game beyond what pump gas can handle, so they run on race gas or even pure ethanol that has well over 100 octane.

While some "premium" fuels may have more additives and detergents than "regular" gas, 99% of the benefits are pure marketing fluff designed to sell snake oil to suckers. Because people fall for marketing all the time.

Up here at 6,000 feet, I ran 85 octane in my 3.6 equipped wrangler before I sold it. Ran just fine with no pinging (detonation).

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

No Chrysler did say high octane fuel would remedy the problem. Way don’t you contact them?
Enough already. YOU started this thread. YOU show us where Chrysler said this.

You can't come on here making false claims without backing them up.

Sponsored

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Once again I call BS.

You come on here making what I consider to be a false claim and then you tell me to investigate and I will find out you are correct. You're a piece of work. If you have the information to back up your claim present it otherwise I am done wasting my time with you on this point.

mnjeeper

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 TJ, 2021 JLUR
Guys, this is more serious than OP intended. Carbon build up, you know how they tell how old a dinosaur bone is? Carbon dating. I came to learn that FCA filled my engine with the juice of dead dinosaurs! The carbon build up under the valve covers after running was horrible! ( used my saw to cut in there and glued a plexiglass window). I did find a bolt under the Jeep where I could drain all of this "carbon". That, and getting rid of the 87 left in the tank should take this Jeep to the next level!

TrailScooter

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Jt, 91 F1504x4 and so on...
:facepalm:

Again, talk of bullies? There must be some big ass wusses driving jeeps.

Grow a damn pair! Failing that, at least act like a vertebrate.

(allowed geezer rant)

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:facepalm:

Again, talk of bullies? There must be some big ass wusses driving jeeps.

Grow a damn pair! Failing that, at least act like a vertebrate.

(allowed geezer rant)
None of you have the wisdom or the guts to contact Jeep Chrysler because you don’t want to be prove wrong.

huntb

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUS, 22 WL 4xe
I think OP may be referring to the newer Pentastar engines being direct injection as opposed to port injection. Direct injection engines don;t spray fuel on the intake valves, so there is potential for more carbon buildup than a PI engine. Nothing an Italian tune-up every once in a while won't fix though
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.