OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
Well you may not call it an issue, but there is definitely engine ping/valve rattle if I put regular gas (87) in my 19 or 21 jlu. You can easily hear it when you ride past something and the sound bounces off. I as a religion buy premium gas from Costco/BJs, since their premium cost the same as or less than everyone else's regular, so no brainer there.
It’s the uneven fuel burn which is causing the ping.
Sponsored

Pegleg

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
Vice President - Woburn Sportsmen's Association
Chrysler recommends it and my CJ ran quite with it. I’ll spend the extra cash.
I call BS. I have had a Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep of one type or another in the driveway since 1985. The only one that Chrysler ever recommended better fuel for was my 2000 300M with high performance 3.5 and even then they only recommended 89.

Spearmin

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
OK.. I'll test that out.... So I need to burn down my premium and then refill with regular. How long should it take for the ping to be out.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

In the video it’s mentioned that Chrysler said using 89 or high octane gasoline will eliminate the problem.
That isn't an official recommendation from Stellantis/FCA/Jeep/Chrysler. No one is going to go off what's said in a YouTube video.

Show us where Chrysler officially states that using a higher octane fuel is recommended.

Qjoh5510

First Name
Quinn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Operator
I’ve ran 87, 91, and 93. I didn’t see any performance improvements, Engine idles the same, and still makes a ton of racket compared to the JK 3.6 engines. I run 93 now because it floats my boat. And it’s only like 8 or 9 dollars more at full up.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That isn't an official recommendation from Stellantis/FCA/Jeep/Chrysler. No one is going to go off what's said in a YouTube video.

Show us where Chrysler officially states that using a higher octane fuel is recommended.
Give them a call. I’ve heard this from a few sources.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK.. I'll test that out.... So I need to burn down my premium and then refill with regular. How long should it take for the ping to be out.
Years ago I lent my brother my CJ when his was in the shop. The DA put 87 in my CJ and it pinged badly. Just one tank full.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

You keep claiming you "heard" from mechanics and sources yet you haven't provided a single one as proof.

You mentioned that Chrysler recommends higher octane fuel. Aside from the video, provide proof that this is the case. No one here is going to call anyone.

If premium fuel was recommended, don't you think that would be clearly stated in the owner's manual of all the vehicles using the 3.6?

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Years ago I lent my brother my CJ when his was in the shop. The DA put 87 in my CJ and it pinged badly. Just one tank full.
And? What does that prove? The CJ is not a JL.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
So let me get this straight. You joined this forum just four days ago to tell us that what FCA wrote in their manuals is wrong and we should all use Premium based on a YouTube video you saw? I guess we all been clueless until you joined, right? Shit, I feel enlightened today as I was putting the wrong fuel in all my vehicles since 2005 based on what some Armchair General in Upstate NY is telling me :CWL: :CWL: :CWL: :CWL:

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why should he call them? You started the thread. 🤷‍♂️
You don’t believe me? Why should I care? My dad was a mechanic back in the day. Worked on Lockheed Constellations and Electras. He told me don’t ever use 87. They put wear and tear on a engine. Fill it full of carbon. All the airlines used super octane fuels in their old piston high output engines for a reason . Today’s engines have some serious horsepower. My CJ7 4.2 liter 258 cid got 115 horsepower and 225 pounds of torque. Back in the day CJ7s did go 80 miles an hour unless you wanted a death wish. Today’s Wranglers drive more like cars than the Jeeps of my youth. A turn in today’s JL would flip a CJ.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.