Not open for further replies.

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 2 door Sport
I’m hearing the issues with the 3.6 liter engine in the JL could be remedied by using super unleaded gasoline. That high build up of carbon could be the issue. Back in the day (1986) I never used anything other than super in my CJ7 and the engine ran quiet even with 158,000 miles.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I’m hearing the issues with the 3.6 liter engine in the JL
What issues?

I have the 3.6 in my '20 JLU and use regular unleaded only. No issues in just over a year of ownership.

I had the 3.6 in my JKU and used unleaded only, and had no issues in the 5 years I owned the vehicle.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What issues?

I have the 3.6 in my '20 JLU and use regular unleaded only. No issues in just over a year of ownership.

I had the 3.6 in my JKU and used unleaded only, and had no issues in the 5 years I owned the vehicle.
There some engine issues with the engine. Valve and rocker arm bearings so I hear.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

There some engine issues with the engine. Valve and rocker arm bearings so I hear.
Never heard of this, sorry.

The 3.6 Pentastar engine is used in multiple Stellantis/FCA/Jeep vehicles. If there was an issue with this engine, it would be affecting more than just the Wrangler.

My wife even has one in her Grand Cherokee without any issues whatsoever.

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Some people go out of their way to seek what is know as "top tier" gas and maybe that has some benefits. Maybe that is just paid promotion too, I haven't ever looked into it. I am pretty sure it states right in the manual, and the general consensus previously has been that there is no advantage to running premium in the 3.6, or any other engine not requiring premium.

The manual states 87, Most places that is regular. In the mountains at altitude 87 is mid grade and even though the Jeep would likely run fine on it up here we do use 87 (mid grade here) as listed in the manual. The 3.6 runs great on it, haven't had any bad noises of performance issues. I can't see any reason to run premium, just a waste of money IMO.

Sponsored

Ridgway Jeeper

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Occupation
Real Estate Agent
Co-worker of mine has a rocker issues on a 15 JKUR with the 3.6. Impossible this is a fuel issue though. The 3.6 is port injected and not really subject to valve deposits like many direct injected engines. The 3.6 has been around a while and is in tons of vehicles besides Jeeps. I have never seen any fuel related problems with them in my readings. There is one thread where somebody insists the high compression 3.6 "pings" but even on 87 lugging it with the manual trans, I haven't heard it.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Co-worker of mine has a rocker issues on a 15 JKUR with the 3.6. Impossible this is a fuel issue though. The 3.6 is port injected and not really subject to valve deposits like many direct injected engines. The 3.6 has been around a while and is in tons of vehicles besides Jeeps. I have never seen any fuel related problems with them in my readings. There is one thread where somebody insists the high compression 3.6 "pings" but even on 87 lugging it with the manual trans, I haven't heard it.
Didn’t say it was a fuel issue, more like a carbon issue. Lots of vehicles require high octane fuels. It’s even rumored Jeep has suggested super unleaded fuel.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
As long as it’s a Tier 1 fuel company with their better fuel additives, you shouldn’t have carbon buildup issues.

As to octane and performance, if you were towing or using it in high heat, 89 octane closer to sea level might be of benefit in performance.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as it’s a Tier 1 fuel company with their better fuel additives, you shouldn’t have carbon buildup issues.

As to octane and performance, if you were towing or using it in high heat, 89 octane closer to sea level might be of benefit in performance.
Carbon build is common with 87 octane fuels.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
3.6 Owner here and I have been using Regular since I got my 2020 JLUR in Sept 2019. Have seen no issues at all and am also unaware of anyone else having this issue.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler Jeep also mentioned 87 fuel could create uneven explosive and detonation in the engine which could damage piston, piston rings, valves, head gasket etc.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
That’s not always the case. “Excessive” carbon buildup is from an incomplete burn from a multitude of reasons.

OP
OP

Stac0608

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3.6 Owner here and I have been using Regular since I got my 2020 JLUR in Sept 2019. Have seen no issues at all and am also unaware of anyone else having this issue.
The internet is full of complaints with this engine. Just look at what mechanics are saying. Use super unleaded.

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
This is news to me. I have been driving since I turned 18 in 2005 and have used Regular on a variety of vehicles (a 1990 Nissan Stanza, a 97 Ford Taurus, 04 Nissan Sentra, 08 Nissan Altima, 09 Honda Civic and a 2020 JLUR). I still have the last 3 on that list in my family and they all run perfectly fine. Never had an issue with Carbon buildup. However I always get my gas from either BP, Mobil, Shell, Sunoco or Gulf. I avoid Mom/Pop Gas Stations as much as possible.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.