First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
Does it have inner axle seals, or is it just the axle seal on the axle shaft? After a wheeling trip I developed an axle leak on my drivers side rear axle. My instinct was to think it was an inner seal and the outer seal was just to keep out dust/mud/water from entering the tube. But I cannot, for the life of me find inner axle seals...all the master kits I see come with bearings, races, spacers, and a pinion seal. So I started thinking, am I way off base here? Do only front diffs have inner axle seals?
Sponsored

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
It's only the seal on the axle shaft; no inner seals at the diff.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The seal is right behind the brake backing plate. The only seal.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Only outer seals.

The gear oil goes down the tubes to lubricate the outer bearings.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Changing the seal requires: a seal, a bearing retaining collar, a bearing. You have to cut the retaining collar and bearing off, in order to remove them to remove and replace the seal. Make sure you get a Dana or Mopar retaining collar that is the same size (width and OD) as the OEM collar. There are other makers/models that have a collar that will fit the diameter of the axle, but are not as strong at retaining the bearing (the collar holds your axle in the housing...important).

Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
I have dealt with leaky rear axle seal a couple of times...
Its not economical to buy all the parts just to replace the seal. You would be doing all the work and risk damaging the shaft.

I dont remember the numbers but I looked it up before, buying the entire chromoly assembly is not much more than getting all the parts for a seal job.

OP
OP
JeepFiend

JeepFiend

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Rubicon 2 Door, 2011 Ford F-150 STX
Occupation
System Administrator
I have dealt with leaky rear axle seal a couple of times...
Its not economical to buy all the parts just to replace the seal. You would be doing all the work and risk damaging the shaft.

I dont remember the numbers but I looked it up before, buying the entire chromoly assembly is not much more than getting all the parts for a seal job.
yep, that was my thought. I had to take it to the dealer for a recall and an oil change, so I reported the axle leak at the same time and told them I had heard there were some tsb on the axles that got replacements under warranty....I pretty sure it was just front axles, but figured why not try. Well, they said the parts for the diff were on order at no charge, but no eta on arrival....so I started assuming it was an inner seal.

Otherwise I would have replaced them with chromoly already and got this fixed for a set of spares.

Hence the reason I'm kicking myself for not actually thinking about it earlier.

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Does it have inner axle seals, or is it just the axle seal on the axle shaft? After a wheeling trip I developed an axle leak on my drivers side rear axle. My instinct was to think it was an inner seal and the outer seal was just to keep out dust/mud/water from entering the tube. But I cannot, for the life of me find inner axle seals...all the master kits I see come with bearings, races, spacers, and a pinion seal. So I started thinking, am I way off base here? Do only front diffs have inner axle seals?
Stupid Question...NOT!!!!

I have been Jeeping since 1965 and I am still learning about them, you never stop learning. I have found that those who know everything have only been Jeeping for about 2 weeks on their first Jeep ever!
Sponsored