Super low MPG on brand new Wrangler V6

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Also, I don’t know how much ethanol they put in your fuel, but it does hurt mileage. I run premium which doesn’t have any and that helps my mileage.
Unless your premium is specifically listed as 100% gas in a state that has 87 octane 100% readily available, it’s probably not. Up to 20% is standard just about everywhere.
Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
I had the hemi etorque, it added 1-2mpg.

I just experienced a dramatic loss of MPG on my 2018JLUR 3.6 no etorque, all stock. Dropped to around 11.5mpg over two months from a respectable 19-21mpg. Figured maybe fouled injectors as it was used, new to me with 23k miles.

I played all the best has mileage tricks, hi tire pressure, coasting between lights, turning it off at drive throughs. Then noticed I was not getting the auto stop'start working anymore, it always said battery charging. I then realized this thing had 2 batteries, and replaced them both. rest MPG indicator and I'm right back up to 17mpg and climbing.

With the etorque, I would take it in and have them verify the 48v battery is good, because that huge etoque thing can drag your mileage down significantly.

OP
OP
BIGW0RM

BIGW0RM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Raptor // 22 M3 Comp X // 20 RRS
I had the hemi etorque, it added 1-2mpg.

I just experienced a dramatic loss of MPG on my 2018JLUR 3.6 no etorque, all stock. Dropped to around 11.5mpg over two months from a respectable 19-21mpg. Figured maybe fouled injectors as it was used, new to me with 23k miles.

I played all the best has mileage tricks, hi tire pressure, coasting between lights, turning it off at drive throughs. Then noticed I was not getting the auto stop'start working anymore, it always said battery charging. I then realized this thing had 2 batteries, and replaced them both. rest MPG indicator and I'm right back up to 17mpg and climbing.

With the etorque, I would take it in and have them verify the 48v battery is good, because that huge etoque thing can drag your mileage down significantly.

Thank you. I will ask the dealer to look into that.

Do you guys feel e torque? Because I dont hear or feel anything "assisting" my take off from a stop. Its pretty smooth, but I dont feel or hear any electric gizmos.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

Do you guys feel e torque? Because I dont hear or feel anything "assisting" my take off from a stop. Its pretty smooth, but I dont feel or hear any electric gizmos.
You won’t feel or notice anything when it’s working properly.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Same motor.
XR Rubicon on 37's with 2.5 inch lift.
Around town is about 15.5. Highway is about 17.
Running 91.

Sponsored

XtremeRetard

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURXR
Build Thread
Link
You won’t feel or notice anything when it’s working properly.
Really!? If you don't notice it shutting the engine off at a stop then it's not working! Using the AC may stop it working for example.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Probably a dumb question, but you're in 2WD right? I believe 4WD auto (if equipped) can still decrease fuel economy, and 4WD part-time significantly more so.

wcjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ with stuff. JL 2dr Sport
Our V6 no e torque 2dr had poor mileage the first 6 or 7 tanks. Gradually improved. Now 20mpg mostly city driving. Factory upgrade wheels and tires, Rubicon wheels with AT tires.

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 23' JLUR 3.0L EcoDiesel
Probably idle times when wife is at Starbucks.
Just kidding lol.
There is a break in period, in which the manual states. I always follow it anyways. Supposed to be under 55 for first 60 miles or so, and then other things until 300 and 500 etc. If you have MT tires, 44 isn't really too high necessarily. But M/Ts will decrease your MPG. BFG Ko2s are good and stock for Rubis. Idk if you're going to offroad but If it's all road miles, you can go with a non aggressive AT or even All Season tires.

There's a lot of factors at play here. Try not to leave it in the Driveway with Autostart for too long, or idle anywhere for too long.

This being said I have a ecodiesel so I don't have the same issues, but I do have ESS, general break-in rule of thumbs, and general fuel savings tips. Hope you figure something out. If not, the dealer can look at it and see if your engine is running rich and look at all the specific numbers in which things are firing and all that.

God bless.

Last edited:

Sponsored

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR

No, on my 1500 I never noticed it other than it did leap off the starting line and when v8 cranked it was seemless. Correction, only time i noticed was when i started light braking, the system uses the generator to slow you down before actual brakes. Then it had a minor lurch. What could go wrong with that in ten years, right?

Also, before you take it to dealer, fill it up, next to freeway, get on freeway and drive for say 50 miles and fill it up again to check your mileage, any in town mileage is a gamble, and yes, idling at starbucks will drop MPG about 5mpg. I know, i did it.

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Definitely not normal. Mine with stock 33’s gets 18 in and around town, I’m fairly light on the pedal though.

I’d double check that the computer is accurate by doing some manual calculations after a fill up.

Either way you probably want to take it back to the dealer and have them take a look.

OBD

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jl Wrangler ,2016Soul,Dyna,Sportster,HD
Two door Willys,3.6 non Etorque,auto,no rear seat,spare delete.It gets about 18 mpg avg, but most of that is around town.The mpg has been consistent from day one. I never use the ESS.Hope you get your mileage sorted out.

Last edited:

Montanabound

First Name
Lol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing
This reminds me of the TRX threads…… lol turns out flooring it at every stop light and letting it idle is bad for mpg. Who would have thought????

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Watch your tach at stop lights. If it doesn’t go to zero RPMs, then the eTorque battery needs to be charged. Excessive idling will throw the MPGs way off.

The eTorque is so smooth in our Wagoneer, the only way I notice it is by looking at the tach. When it was new, the engine never shut off and fuel mileage was poor. After a 2 hour road trip, the battery charged and it started functioing properly. MPG went up to what the window sticker said.

When the 48V battery is low on an eTorque, that big belt driven starter/generator (BSG) sucks a lot of power from the engine.
Sponsored