Super Impressed with my JLURD Towing

Cam6771

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon Ecodiesel
Just wrapped up a 1,300+ mile trip with my ecodiesel and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how well it did.

Even in the appalachian highways pulling grade it would hold 8th gear, boost up, and pull. 19 mpg average across the whole trip and while on the highway we were rolling 75-80mph most of the time; it didn't care at all.

Only mod was adding the Mopar trailer brake which worked great.

Trailer weighs an estimated 2000lbs loaded.

Jeep Wrangler JL Super Impressed with my JLURD Towing IMG_4319
Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Just wrapped up a 1,300+ mile trip with my ecodiesel and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised how well it did.

Even in the appalachian highways pulling grade it would hold 8th gear, boost up, and pull. 19 mpg average across the whole trip and while on the highway we were rolling 75-80mph most of the time; it didn't care at all.

Only mod was adding the Mopar trailer brake which worked great.

Trailer weighs an estimated 2000lbs loaded.

Jeep Wrangler JL Super Impressed with my JLURD Towing IMG_4319
How is the braking with that setup. I find the brakes on my diesel don’t feel good enough for that kind of weight. I was thinking of getting a upgraded brake package for mine.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Towing with a JL at 80....
@Mac

With my 2 dr. Rubi, JL ..... I routinely tow an aluminum motorcycle trailer loaded with my Harley Fatboy 01. Total weight of trailer with Harley on, is about 1700-1800 lbs.

So far this year, I have towed the trailer with bike, approx., 20,500 miles. (not a typo) In other years I towed even more miles...

Most all of the miles driven are on the interstates. I routinely run 80-85 mph... Very stable at those speeds. No trailer brake. No issues handling, stopping, etc... You would not know the trailer was even back there..... a pleasure...

And yes, there is towing and there is safe and sane towing... I only practice the latter....

Sponsored

Mac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator
@Mac

With my 2 dr. Rubi, JL ..... I routinely tow an aluminum motorcycle trailer loaded with my Harley Fatboy 01. Total weight of trailer with Harley on, is about 1700-1800 lbs.

So far this year, I have towed the trailer with bike, approx., 20,500 miles. (not a typo) In other years I towed even more miles...

Most all of the miles driven are on the interstates. I routinely run 80-85 mph... Very stable at those speeds. No trailer brake. No issues handling, stopping, etc... You would not know the trailer was even back there..... a pleasure...

And yes, there is towing and there is safe and sane towing... I only practice the latter....

Cool story, it is all good until it isn't, at those speeds there is no margin for error if you have to make an emergency maneuver and slow down, I also highly doubt the trailer tires are rated for that speed, if one blows out at those speeds without brakes things can go really badly really quickly.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Cool story, it is all good until it isn't, at those speeds there is no margin for error if you have to make an emergency maneuver and slow down, I also highly doubt the trailer tires are rated for that speed, if one blows out at those speeds without brakes things can go really badly really quickly.
If there is no margin for error at 85 does it become negative above 85?
Is that what happens at 88?

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
If there is no margin for error at 85 does it become negative above 85?
Is that what happens at 88?
Clearly somebody’s never been to Utah, Nevada, Arizona where big rigs, sometimes pulling triples, run 80+ all day long. I’m sure that 2k lb trailer is unsafe compared to the 60k lb, 100’+ behemoths?

DUNE RAP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JL 2DR RUBICON
I have a 2dr JL Rubicon and tow my quad to the dunes. Trailer, gear and quad maybe 1200 pounds. Jeep has no sag and can’t even feel the trailer. I tow at 70 mph.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@Mac

Sure what you said is true.. Over 50,000 miles towing with the 2 dr. Rubi, JL and no issues yet... of course, there is always a chance of issues even at lower speeds.

Actually the Trailer Tires on my well designed torsion suspension, aluminum trailer are 13" Load range D tires and are high speed rated tires...... are rated at 81 mph. I replace the tires often based on safe driving criteria.

I usually run at 70-75 mph but have short bursts / runs for a bit up to say 85 mph. I usually drive 1200 miles non stop (accept for gas/food/piss) to wherever... then rest and then go again... 8-) Have done this for many many many years of traveling the interstates..

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cam6771

Cam6771

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How is the braking with that setup. I find the brakes on my diesel don’t feel good enough for that kind of weight. I was thinking of getting a upgraded brake package for mine.
The Mopar trailer brake controller worked great! Braking pedal effort was no different than not towing when you set the controller setting correctly. I never felt like it didn't have enough brake.

OP
OP
Cam6771

Cam6771

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tires are rated for it and it worked great. But you're right, a tire blow out is no good at any point.

You can tow at 75-80 while being safe... obviously when the highway was getting crowded at times, I would not be going that speed.

OP
OP
Cam6771

Cam6771

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mac

He gets it ^^

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Wow, do I love the internet towing police. They know so much that isn’t so..…it’s amazing how much they care about your well being.:puke:
Sponsored