Super disappointed in tires

Status
Not open for further replies.

YJGUY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 F150, 2018 V-Strom 650
I didn't like the KO2's for winter either. I ran 315/70/17 last winter and switched to Nokian Studded for this winter. Huge improvement.

I'm not sure why the Jeep seemed to be so bad with the BFG's, I've used them on other vehicles without any issues. It was not fun to drive on the highway between Calgary and Edmonton if it was snowing at all.
Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
I think it boils down to the driver experience as the number one factor.
I think it boils down to one personā€™s opinion vs another. I hate KO2s. I drive in more snow than most people. Just like limited slip vs open diffs. Many peopleā€˜s opinion is that limited slip is better. I disagree. But I do believe you like your KO2s and your experiences have been good in the conditions you drive in. I have not had a good experience with them and had them replaced under warranty for toyos and now have toyos on all my vehicles. Look at all the weight to balance a stock KO2 from the factory!
Jeep Wrangler JL Super disappointed in tires BF0B7FF0-0EF6-47F6-8090-352DDBAB110A

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Ko2's were the worst tire I've ever run. My current nitto ridge grapplers are better on ice/slush just have to warm them up for 5 mins driving slower, then they grip great on ice/slush.

Ko2s are skates.. I've also skated around on real MT's including toyo Mt's and trail grapplers but anything toyo/nitto is better than Ko2's.. they're crap imo.

It's really a trade off, wet traction. mud and general use year round. The ridge grapplers have been great. Just don't try to start up in single digits and run downhill w/o warming them up. You might take out a few mirrors lol.

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't like the KO2's for winter either. I ran 315/70/17 last winter and switched to Nokian Studded for this winter. Huge improvement.

I'm not sure why the Jeep seemed to be so bad with the BFG's, I've used them on other vehicles without any issues. It was not fun to drive on the highway between Calgary and Edmonton if it was snowing at all.
Agree about the highway in shit snow and ice conditions. Puckered is a good way to describe. Good thing I think countersteering is kinda fun.

JeepinJason33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2021 GCL, 1997 TJ, 1983 Chief FSJ
Clubs

I think it boils down to one personā€™s opinion vs another. I hate KO2s. I drive in more snow than most people. Just like limited slip vs open diffs. Many peopleā€˜s opinion is that limited slip is better. I disagree. But I do believe you like your KO2s and your experiences have been good in the conditions you drive in. I have not had a good experience with them and had them replaced under warranty for toyos and now have toyos on all my vehicles. Look at all the weight to balance a stock KO2 from the factory!
Jeep Wrangler JL Super disappointed in tires BF0B7FF0-0EF6-47F6-8090-352DDBAB110A
I meant driver experience was the number one factor vs what tire you have. I see people in the ditch here with all brands of tires.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, you can drive on the worst tires better than someone on the best tires.. but as far as grip in slush/ice/snow some tires will help immensely. I've run a bunch and that LITTLE BIT of traction when you're sliding is a big deal. It makes the difference of your running off a ledge off road or blindsiding a car daily driving.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
While not great at any one road condition, the KO2ā€™s are a good, all condition tire.
You want excellent winter tires? Get dedicated winter tires. But those dedicated winter tires will suck in a lot of other conditions.
You want excellent mud tires? Get dedicated mud tires. But those dedicated mud tires will suck in a lot of other conditions.
You want excellent rock tires? Get dedicated rock tires. But those dedicated rock tires will suck in a lot of other conditions.
You want excellent rain tires? Get dedicated rain tires. But those dedicated rain tires will suck in a lot of other conditions.
You want tires that will last for extremely long mileage? Get dedicated highway tires. But those dedicated highway tires will suck in a lot of conditions.
You want tires that are a good compromise in all conditions? Get a tire like the BFG KO2.
While true, it depends on how much those tires suck in other conditions. KO2s handle everything reasonably well so long as temps are above 45 degrees. They're not the best at everything but they're not terrible at anything either. It's winter conditions where they fall short the most.

If your winters are mild enough that you can tolerate not driving when it's snowy/icy or are willing to drive very slowly and cautiously because you know your tires perform poorly in winter conditions, that's understandable. But if you have actual winters where driving in sub 45 degree temps and winter conditions is routine, dedicated Winter tires is the first dedicated tire you should get.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
In [Maryland] when we get snow (never really much IMO) the whole area panics, schools and Govt close etc.

I like to go out early in the morning before the plows and cars get on the road, and I am always amazed that 99% of the vehicles I see in a ditch or on the side of the road are SUVs. all wheel drive or 4 wheel drive cannot repel the law of physics and people drive like they are on dry pavement.....
I still SMH at the sheer number of MD drivers who are even more useless in the snow than they are on the asphalt (as your post concedes.) ;)

There they are, living just on the other side of the Manson-Nixon line, and yet one can be forgiven for thinking they've never seen snow from their manic roadcraft while in the Keystone State. This was made abundantly plain during my daily commuting.

If we get this, they surely get at least a taste of the same. So why do so many continue to lose the script when behind the wheel?

Jeep Wrangler JL Super disappointed in tires 17th-Dec-2020-a

GrayWolf.Overland

First Name
Subash
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 4xe Rubicon (Earl Gray)
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Iā€™m on Vancouver Island BC so I am experienced driving in snow. This was about my 5 th tire choice as none of the ones I was looking at werenā€™t available live and learn I guessšŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™€ļø
There.. thats the problem. I currently run BFG KO2s because those were the only ones in stock and available, and didnt cost an arm for the markup.

I ordered a Toyo OC AT3 and waited 7 months for its delivery before I gave up when they increased the purchase price per tire by another $160 CAD after those arrived at the tire shop.

Its either the bulky E-rated Falkens or the KO2 thats all is available in Canada/BC

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
While true, it depends on how much those tires suck in other conditions. KO2s handle everything reasonably well so long as temps are above 45 degrees. They're not the best at everything but they're not terrible at anything either. It's winter conditions where they fall short the most.

If your winters are mild enough that you can tolerate not driving when it's snowy/icy or are willing to drive very slowly and cautiously because you know your tires perform poorly in winter conditions, that's understandable. But if you have actual winters where driving in sub 45 degree temps and winter conditions is routine, dedicated Winter tires is the first dedicated tire you should get.
Sub 45 degrees?
Iā€™ve been driving Canadian winters for over 42 years, trust me, it gets colder than 45 degrees.

Sponsored

Muddiver

First Name
Everett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL 4Xe
BFG makes hard rubber tires that will lags a long time. Hard rubber does not necessarily equal good performance. Especially in cold, wet, icy or snow conditions. Snow tires are typically much softer rubber so they can get traction on slippery surfaces. you would probably better off with some General Grabber all terrain tires. Unless you plan to do a lot of deep mud and boulder crawling. Iā€™m not a big fan of BFG.

GoforADV

First Name
Shaun
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.goforadv.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
As others have stated, BFG KO2's aren't a great choice for winter driving. A dedicated winter tire is a better way to go. Consider the Michelin X-Ice, Nokian Hakka, or Goodyear Winter Command.

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
I have brand new BFG Ko2ā€™s on my jeep and its almost un drivable in the snow. Iā€™ve been stuck on my road, been in the ditch, canā€™t get up my driveway and out on the logging road forget it!! slding all over the place with no control. I even had it into the dealer the other day because I though maybe my 4x4 wasnā€™t engaging but they said its working fine. These tires are the worst in snow, I never got stck or went off the road with my stock tires. Iā€™m pretty pissed that I canā€™t go out and play in the snow. I had to put it in 2L just to get up this slight slant.

Jeep Wrangler JL Super disappointed in tires 1670876673690

Jeep Wrangler JL Super disappointed in tires 1670876673690
On my new JLUR with 30 miles on the clock I was at Discount Tire having Km3's put on . No ko2 for me
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.