Sponsored

SUP/Surfboard roof rack options???

Ghentani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon JLU; Cayenne D; M Coupe; OG GTI; OG M5
Proud new owner of a JLUR... love sting gray btw.

What options are there for a roof rack for a SUP that allows me to remove the top as well.

Thanks, I'm new to this... don't know shit about Jeeps :)
Sponsored

@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Gobi Racks. That’s the way I am going. Super strong no drilling and looks sweet.

A little more work to get top off but there is a quick release to pull it back and then I can lower by garage lift to take top off. When rack gets here I will post pics.

OP
OP
Ghentani

Ghentani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon JLU; Cayenne D; M Coupe; OG GTI; OG M5
I'll be removing the hard top a lot... seems like the Gobi kit doesn't allow for easy on/off?

Bmore300

First Name
kahl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKUR
I second the a hitchmount rack. It arrived today but my jeep is still at a dealer 300miles away so it wont get tested for a bit. I had a body armor roof rack on my JK that allowed the softtop to go up and all the way down with it on but there is no JL version yet. The gobi rack is nice but has to be moved to get top down. Looked at a video of putting it down and knew that was not an option for someone that wants to take top down frequently.

Sponsored

ItsUhJEEP

First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Rubicon
I'll be removing the hard top a lot... seems like the Gobi kit doesn't allow for easy on/off?
following!
I keep my hardtop off 90% of the time. My past 2 JKs I used a windshield bar up front(Lange on 1 and Kargo Master on 2) and combo'd it with an FCS strap with an extra foam roll on the rear.

I never have found a real solution for a rear cross bar.

SUP N

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon
Naked JLUR with no rack. I want Gobi, but not not ready to drop the money yet. Just using foam blocks on front and rear, tied with straps. Much cheaper for now ha! Clears the middle bar without issues. Boards are both 12'6". Driven 65mph for 20 miles (twisty roads) with no issues.

20180608_123856_HDR.jpg

20180608_123621.jpg

Forgettable1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I second the a hitchmount rack. It arrived today but my jeep is still at a dealer 300miles away so it wont get tested for a bit. I had a body armor roof rack on my JK that allowed the softtop to go up and all the way down with it on but there is no JL version yet. The gobi rack is nice but has to be moved to get top down. Looked at a video of putting it down and knew that was not an option for someone that wants to take top down frequently.
. What about someone who wants to open the tailgate to access cargo frequently? Any hitch mounted racks block access to your gear. I had something similar to the hitch rack for my JK. Everything seems like roses until I started using it.

Sponsored

FC Ray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
The hitch mount looks promising. I had the same question. Does it swing or drop away to access the tailgate? Also, I'm assuming it will block the rear mounted camera since that is mounted in the center of the spare tire.

Bmore300

First Name
kahl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JKUR
The hitch mount doesn't swing away/drop down. It is strapped to the spare and has two more straps to the bumper. Have to access the rear using the windows- easy for small stuff like paddles etc. Super secure and stable but a hassle to get in tailgate. Everything on the market right now is a compromise for me. I want to be able to operate my tailgate and softtop without removing/lifting my rack/hitch. I will be adding a body armor roof rack when it becomes available for JL. Had one on my JK- pic below. Rack was wide enough to take up and down softtop.
6B1C3975-1161-4DB9-9CAD-5F322C9B99C4_zpszpszkzqo.jpg
IMG_1193_zps62a02310.jpg

FC Ray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon Unlimited
The hitch mount doesn't swing away/drop down. It is strapped to the spare and has two more straps to the bumper. Have to access the rear using the windows- easy for small stuff like paddles etc. Super secure and stable but a hassle to get in tailgate. Everything on the market right now is a compromise for me. I want to be able to operate my tailgate and softtop without removing/lifting my rack/hitch. I will be adding a body armor roof rack when it becomes available for JL. Had one on my JK- pic below. Rack was wide enough to take up and down softtop.
6B1C3975-1161-4DB9-9CAD-5F322C9B99C4_zpszpszkzqo.jpg
IMG_1193_zps62a02310.jpg
Ok, thanks for the information. I think I'll wait for Rhino Rack to come out with something for the JL I'm told it will be out in a month or two. Until then, I guess I'll get some foam blocks and strap my board to the hardtop or everything will go in the back with the rear glass up.

mfflannery

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
Naked JLUR with no rack. I want Gobi, but not not ready to drop the money yet. Just using foam blocks on front and rear, tied with straps. Much cheaper for now ha! Clears the middle bar without issues. Boards are both 12'6". Driven 65mph for 20 miles (twisty roads) with no issues.

20180608_123856_HDR.jpg

20180608_123621.jpg
What lake is this? I need to go there