Sunrider yay or nay?

Firecracker52

First Name
Jeanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Hey guys just curious, I live in Vegas and it’s hella hot this summer, purchased my new Jeep in March after having been without one for a few years due to my kids being so little and I had a 2 door so I just finally got a Jeep again and I’m so happy!!! but noticed that hard top without insulation is so damn hot especially since it’s black so I ordered Headliner for inside to help with insulation as well as sound for the Alpine system... was thinking about getting Sunrider but if this works well I may just keep the hard top unless you guys convince me otherwise... I’ve had Jeeps my entire life so I’m not one of those girls that has to have the most up to date mods and convenience... just curious should I consider it or no?? Thoughts?
Thanks guys! Can’t wait to hear feedback!
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Hey guys just curious, I live in Vegas and it’s hella hot this summer, purchased my new Jeep in March after having been without one for a few years due to my kids being so little and I had a 2 door so I just finally got a Jeep again and I’m so happy!!! but noticed that hard top without insulation is so damn hot especially since it’s black so I ordered Headliner for inside to help with insulation as well as sound for the Alpine system... was thinking about getting Sunrider but if this works well I may just keep the hard top unless you guys convince me otherwise... I’ve had Jeeps my entire life so I’m not one of those girls that has to have the most up to date mods and convenience... just curious should I consider it or no?? Thoughts?
Thanks guys! Can’t wait to hear feedback!
@Firecracker52

Sunrider for JL, is a terrific addition to the JL... absolutely terrific.. You would never regret installing one....

Read all the pages in this thread:
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/the-sunrider-for-hardtop-for-the-all-new-jeep®-wrangler-jl-is-here.14932/

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If you think it's hot with the hard top ON, imagine how hot it will be with the top OFF.

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
I have a sunrider and a soft top here in the desert southwest and honestly the ac in these Jeeps works pretty well with any top. Yes, headliners help but a couple minutes with the ac on high and all is well. The sunrider is excellent! Very easy to open and close from the drivers seat. Get it, you won’t be disappointed.

Gregj

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
What @Gregj said minus the desert from me. Get it. Worth it. Congrats on your new purchase. Also, get your $250 BonusDrive money if you’ve purchased in the last two months.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Firecracker52

Firecracker52

First Name
Jeanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you think it's hot with the hard top ON, imagine how hot it will be with the top OFF.
Yeah I know... it’s hot but if the headliner cuts it back some it would be nice.... eventually I will get a soft top but it sits outside and my last Jeep the kids in the neighborhood vandalized some cars and cut through the windows to steal stuff from it, only I always left the doors open and kept it empty so it was something I didn’t want to deal with again... until I have a garage the hard top it is. I was just curious if the Sunrider was that much of an improvement to the t-tops. I have tires and wheels and lift kit to think about for cost so trying to figure out what I want to put on it and what is a must have! ☺

OP
OP
Firecracker52

Firecracker52

First Name
Jeanie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What @Gregj said minus the desert from me. Get it. Worth it. Congrats on your new purchase. Also, get your $250 BonusDrive money if you’ve purchased in the last two months.
Oooh what’s that? I bought a 2018 tho is that for used as well? And thanks I’m one happy girl!! I felt like I was in Jeep jail for the last 11 years! It’s nice to be free again and be in the Jeep! I really love how far they have come but miss some little things... but overall just so freaking happy to have one again! ♥

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Yeah I know... it’s hot but if the headliner cuts it back some it would be nice.... eventually I will get a soft top but it sits outside and my last Jeep the kids in the neighborhood vandalized some cars and cut through the windows to steal stuff from it, only I always left the doors open and kept it empty so it was something I didn’t want to deal with again... until I have a garage the hard top it is. I was just curious if the Sunrider was that much of an improvement to the t-tops. I have tires and wheels and lift kit to think about for cost so trying to figure out what I want to put on it and what is a must have! ☺
It's nice having a Sunrider so you can open the top anytime, anywhere. But in the end, it is expensive and functionally it's not any different than removing the Freedom panels, it's just more convenient. Over time you may have a better idea if the Sunrider will help or not. With Labor day coming up, there may be sales or rebates that impact your purchase decision.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
questions:

Sunrider performance in the snow belt? Do folks leave this on all winter? Issues?

i just moved to Colorado from South Texas ....... the Colorado sun deserves a sunrider....... but can it stay on through an entire Colorado (Denver, garage parked) winter and handle snow ok?

also, is it significantly louder (Closed) than the freedom panels?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
questions:

Sunrider performance in the snow belt? Do folks leave this on all winter? Issues?

i just moved to Colorado from South Texas ....... the Colorado sun deserves a sunrider....... but can it stay on through an entire Colorado (Denver, garage parked) winter and handle snow ok?

also, is it significantly louder (Closed) than the freedom panels?
I have multiple residences (4). One of the 4 is in Florida and another of the 4, is in Upstate NY/Snow Country. Also, RI and Calif..

I split the Winter months and stay in Upstate NY, half the Winter and Florida the other half. My SR is on year round. Handles, well below 0 weather... along with sleet, snow, freezing rain when in Upstate NY and in Florida HOT, hot weather, rain, especially in the Summer when I'm there. ....

My SR, has weathered two Winters now and many months in Upstate NY and Florida. Also, Summer in both states..

I installed the SR for JL, in Nov. 2018. I have logged over 32 thousand miles, (thousands of miles, with with SR open)with the SR on... lots interstate traveling, miles, driving at high speeds..... the SR has endured, survived LOTS of Snow, Cold/below zero weather and super hot days... My TWILL, SR, looks as new. No salt stains, no stains, period, no fading...

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Dkretden

Yes, it is louder in the JL's cab with the SR on and in the closed position, when you are driving say at 65 mph+.

Not crazy loud but louder.

I think the trade off is worth it though...

and remember, I mentioned that I do thousands of miles yearly, interstate traveling at speeds well over 60+ mph.

ghodson

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I live in NE WI and I did remove my sunrider in December and put it back on at beginning of April. I really like having it as it take seconds to open and close and is so much more convenient than the freedom panels. It is louder on the highway, but is not a deal breaker. It has been my favorite accessory on my 2018 JL. I may end up selling it however as I have a fly rod holder that will go on the roof and the sunrider will not open and close with it on. On the fence as to which option I want more - the top or the rod holder....!

RPS1030

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buggy
Put me in the No Way Camp. I don’t get any of the sunrider options. I wish the hardtop didn’t have Freedom Panels. I’d love it if the basic TrekTop didn’t open at all. Pulling just the windows is as far as we will ever go. Saves having to deal with any bikinis or shade tops. And would be less complicated bracketrey and installation.